Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2006, 12:14 PM Reply   
I'm having trouble getting any of my pictures to be smaller than 300 kb, they need to be 150 kb to upload to ww, and even after extensive cropping they are still way too large. they are in .jpg format, i thought that was a format that was usually small, does anyone have any ideas?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-08-2006, 4:35 PM Reply   
Lower the jpeg quality down to medium or so. Shrinking or cropping is great but 150kb is pretty compressed so even a small image at full jpeg quality is going to be bigger then that.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2006, 6:15 PM Reply   
how do you lower the quality? I've looked around and can't find a setting or anything for that? i'm using iphoto if that helps
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-08-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
so i kinda have a new problem now, i recently got a new digital camera that is 6 megapixel and i got a GREAT deal on a one gig memory card (20 bux after rebate) so i leave the camera on it's highest setting (holds 400 pix) but when i put them on my comp, the pix are about 2 mb each, which is HUGE, is there a way to reduce that just when i am trying to put them on WW or send them via e-mail, but leave them that size for viewing on my computer or another external device, sorry for such silly questions, i realize i'm a total n00b, thanks..p.s. i also realize this was probably a pretty poor title choice..
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-09-2006, 7:55 AM Reply   
I can't find a quality setting in iPhoto which is surprising, then again I don't use iPhoto so maybe someone who is more familiar can chime in and point out the command if it exists. There is a work around though with the existing Mac programs if you don't mind a few extra steps.

In iPhoto select the picture you want to post and crop if necessary.

Using the export command select jpeg as the file format and in the custom size box type in 1000 in either the horizontal or verticle aspect depending on your image's orientation. (this is really where Apple should have put the quality setting). Keep preserve aspect ratio checked.

Export to your desktop or folder or where ever you want to store your resized jpegs.

Open those jpeg files in the program Preview and do a save as. The window that comes up will have a quality setting. Slide it down a bit, either overwrite the existing file or give it a new name and save it.

If you want to see the actual size of the finished file control-click it in the finder and select get info.

I know the above is kludgy but it will get your images to where they need to be for WW.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-09-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
thank you so much rich, that is exactly what i needed!!