Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 20, 2006

Old    abadsvt            12-02-2006, 10:16 AM Reply   
Well as some of you know i am looking at getting an 07 MC X2. I was thinking about colors when yesterday my dealer called me tellin me that if i want he can get me an 07 MB B52 for cheaper than the X2 if i am interested. So i went down and looked at the boat. It was beautiful. It was a charcole grey and orange flames. If felt roomy, comfortable, upgraded motor, and alot more. Now i am little confused on what to do. I like both boats alot. Each one has pros and cons. The X2 is only 20' but it is also a Mastercraft which whill have better resale value. The B52 is bigger and equally as nice and cheaper but i don't think the resale will be as much. Has anyone been in both boats that can comment? I liked the b52 alot. Do you think resale is going to be a big difference? I think the boat was a 22' not the 23'. I am not only worried about the resale value but don't want to be completely upside down when i upgrade. The B52 also has 2-3 times the amount of ballast as the X2 has. On the other hand the X2 is a beautiful boat also. The twin tip is sweet. Anyways Thanks josh
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-02-2006, 10:27 AM Reply   
I think your gonna be thoroughly confused after this thread is done. LET THE WAR BEGIN!!!!

Seriously though, I think you should buy what your gut tells you. But only if its the MasterCraft.
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       12-02-2006, 10:35 AM Reply   
Don't be blinded by the 22' vs 20'... look at the interior space from front to back and side to side. you may find the MC has more space even though the loa is 2' less.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-02-2006, 12:18 PM Reply   
Bigger boat & more ballast = bigger wake. Test drive them both! I am an MB B52 owner and love my boat. It has tons of storage space and all around a high quality boat. A MC owner will say the same for their boat. I have buddies with MC and they are also nice boats. I wouldn't worry about resale value. MB's are limited production and when a used one goes up for sale they sell fast at a high price. Like Billy said let the war begin. There are way more MC owners out there that may say MB isn't very good. Again, MB is limited production so it stands to reason there will be more MC owners out there. You will not be disappointed with an MB.
Board More/Work Less!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       12-02-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
Sales 101 - know when to shut up!

If you were already sold on the X2 why would he call you and confuse the issue. If you look at the B52, then there are at least 5 or 6 other boats you should look at too.

I would narrow it down to what size boat you want and then compare head-to-head makes and models.
Old    abadsvt            12-02-2006, 6:29 PM Reply   
The dealer is a friend of mine. That is why i am only really looking at MB and Mastercraft because that is what he sells. He is giving me a really good deal on what ever boat i want or i should say what i can afford. He just got in a MB B52 V23 today so tommorrow i am going to look at it. The bad news is that he doesn't have a X2 in stock to compare. He is trying to get a hold of a friend of his that has a X2 so i can look at it.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-02-2006, 6:48 PM Reply   
never rode in the x-2 but just ordered a MB B52 V23 last month. It was between MC or MB and for me it was a easy choice. I really liked some of the attention to detail that MB put into their boats. I went to factory last month and it was nothing fancy but perfect for putting out a great boat. Drive the MB and look at them close. MC makes a great product but IMO you pay to much for the name.

just letting out a few more worms.

smart friend to carry (IMO) the best two brands.

After all MB - MC c does come after b
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-03-2006, 5:46 AM Reply   
Josh,
I was going to post this yesterday, but decided to shut up because I didn't want to open the flood gates about what boat is better, yada yada yada. But, since others are chiming in, I'll offer my $0.02
I have the B52V23 Team Edition (posted a pic on your other thread), and I love it. I test drove the SAN 220, Centurion Avalanche & the Malibu 23LSV before deciding on the MB. Truth be told, if I could have fit it into my slot in the valet, I would have gone w/ the SAN 220 (the tower didn't fold as nice), but I am not disappointed in the least w/ my decision.
The MasterCraft dealer on my lake went...away... at the end of the season, so I couldn't test drive anything from them.
What don't I like about my boat?
Well, the tower is a bitch to fold down, although it does fold nicely into the boat. If you put any speakers on it, it quickly becomes a 2 person job.
The driver's seat seems either too low or too high (folded). I can't seem to get it just right.
No cup holders or storage in the bow. Thats because mine is the Team Edition & there is a ballast tank up there. You take the cusion off & its all floor underneath.
Right now, thats all I have to complain about. If you get the V23, get the ZR6. With 2000lbs of ballast (2500 if you get the Team Edition), you will need all the hole shot you can get. That engine has something like 470 ft-lbs of torque. Its sick.
I don't have the 2 speed transmission, so I can't offer any advice there. I have no problems getting people up w/ full ballast + 5 people.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-03-2006, 11:10 AM Reply   
I do have the two speed tranny and the boat gets up and on plane in seconds when you are pulling a rider. It's a very nice option.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-03-2006, 3:59 PM Reply   
X2 is the best boat in the market for its size. You will love it. Tremendous surf wake ( shoulder high); great wakeboard wake. Resale value is unparalleled with an MC. However, I do like MBs. I think they look and perform fine. I just don't love them.

Do note that you are not comparing apples to apples. The sizes and weights of those boats is different, as will be the power and sounds, and everything else. The only thing that is comparable I'm guessing is the price tag on this deal.

If you're looking for a bigger boat and stay at that price range, get the MB. I'm a MC owner for life, so if you want to know more about feelings of enlightenment and fulfillment, feel free to email me.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-03-2006, 6:52 PM Reply   
This is shoulder high. I'm not saying the X2 doesn't make one this big, I have just never seen one that big.... behind any boat.
Upload
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old    abadsvt            12-03-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
Well i went down and looked at the MB B52 V23 today. Man there was alot of room on that boat. I really liked it alot. I felt like i could have 8+ friends on the boat and still be really comfortable. The storage in the back was HUGE! I REALLY liked how deep the back seats were. All in all i really liked the boat. Not sure how much ballest the boat had. I forgot to ask. Does anyone know? The one thing i am disappointed in is that it doesn't have the 2 speed tranny. I am still waiting to look at the X2. I don't know though because i am really diggin that B52. Here is a pic of it. Let me know what you think.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-03-2006, 7:41 PM Reply   
I like the graphics. Pretty sick.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-03-2006, 7:46 PM Reply   
Very, very nice boat. Non team edition has 2000# stock ballast. You won't be disappointed with that boat.
J$
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-03-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
I think resale on boats let alone anything is one of the biggest misconceptions out there. I drive a duramax diesel that is supposed to hold it's value and get top dollar when you sell it. it depreciates just like every other car out there. you look at dollar to dollar value of any boat out there, and they will depreciate the same. some sellers are just more motivated to sell their boat, thus they might have a cheaper price then others, but that goes for both brands. your going to get an incredible wake out of either boat. i bought an enzo 1 month ago based on the size and room inside of the boat. 2 feet is 2 feet, and thus a bigger boat. i sat in an x2 the same day before i went to sign the enzo papers as well as a malibu to make sure the enzo was what i wanted, and I have no regrets whatsoever. i would almost go as far to say that when you purchase a boat, base your decision on looks of course, but more importantly 1.dealer and customer service 2. how does it fit your needs(lots of family and friends) size wise 3.price 4.warranty
If the dealer in washington would have called me back after me trying half a dozen times to get him, i would be in an mb right now. another reason i'm not in am mb is there is no local dealer(which isn't a big deal) but it's nice to have one closer by then 13 hours. let us know what you get.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-04-2006, 4:35 AM Reply   
Josh,
Like Mr Wadd said, its the Non Team Edition so it has 2000 lbs of ballast. Mine IS the Team Edition, it has 2500 lbs of ballast w/o the 2-speed tranny. I have NO problem getting 220+ lb riders out of the water w/ full ballast & 5 adults ( well, they don't ACT like adults, but they weigh like 'em :-) ). BUT, I have the ZR6 engine, and that thing is super-powerful. What engine does that one have?

BTW, IMO its tough to make the flame graphics look good (mine is 'puzzle'), but I think they did a nice job on that one.
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-04-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Nice boat, did you test drive it yet?
Does it have the ZR6 375hp in it?
I went the ZR6 in mine for the extra HP and I liked the close loop cooling system. Also if you do your oil changes yourself they have made it easy by put a hose on drain plug so all you have to do is run it out the back drain hole in your boat.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-04-2006, 8:10 AM Reply   
Also, I don't know if it gets cold where you are...but I have the heater option, and that is a MUST if it ever dips below 60...(that is NOT me, BTW)
Upload
Old    abadsvt            12-04-2006, 8:46 AM Reply   
Nice Pic Dan! I thought it had the ZR6 motor but not for sure. I will double check that. If it doesn't have the bigger motor should i stay away from it? I will usually have a mininium of 4-5 people everytime i go out. It doesn't have a heater but i already talked to my dealer and we can add that option since it already has a factory switch. I haven't got a chance to drive it yet but hopefully this week. I wasn't really big on the flame graphics but in person it looks 10x nicer. Maybe it is the colors because even my wife who wasn't big on the graphics thought it perfect. Does anyone know how much "water" you can fit in the built in cooler? How well does the perfect pass work for wakesurfing? I remember when i was looking at the X2 i heard that people were having a problem with perfect pass at wakesurfing speeds. Thanks Josh
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2006, 8:52 AM Reply   
Dude, you have been "looking for a boat" since June. Don't you know what you want by now. I am starting to think you are just some young kid that likes to come on here and start boat wars.
Old    abadsvt            12-04-2006, 9:09 AM Reply   
Paul I ordered an 07 X1 but it got shipped to another Mastercraft dealer. After we finally tracked down the boat we spoke to the owner and there was someone who wanted the X1 and asked if we still want it. So my wife and I decided that i would be a little happier with a boat that had a bigger interior. So this is where i am now. Also since my dealer is a friend of mine, i told him to help me find a boat but since he isn't making any money of me to put real customers before first. I know it has been a long time looking for a boat but in June i was looking at a used boat for under 25k. Then i got the BLING BLING bug and then i was looking at buying a new boats. Anyways that is why it has takin so long.
Old     (dansmith)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-04-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say "stay away from it" as I haven't driven in the 330HP version. I only know that the ZR6 is kick a$$. My Supra had a 330HP 5.7 and it had no problems, but I wasn't pulling 2500lbs of ballast either.
One thing about the Perfect Pass: Ensure you get it dialed in correctly. Originally, I had problems w/ it blowing past the speed, or dropping out during sharp turns. We called them while on the lake, and there were some settings we had to tweak. Its a little strange in that once you get to the set speed, you bury the throttle & it takes over no problem.
And no worries on the time. I started looking in Feb '06. Went from X-15 to X-2 to 23LSV to new 22SSV to 24SSV to SAN220 to (finally) the MB (in Sep). You are spending 60K+...you BETTER take your time!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-04-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Thanks for the explanation. I thought I remembered something about you ordering a boat a while back. That is why I started to question the ligitimacy(sp?)of your posts.
Old     (surfnfury65)      Join Date: Aug 2004       12-04-2006, 9:39 AM Reply   
I keep my PP owners manual in my glove box. It took about 5 min to dial it for wakesurfing. It's really easy.
Board More/Work Less!
J$
Old     (cdl)      Join Date: Oct 2006       12-04-2006, 11:30 AM Reply   
Josh- you are right about looking better in person.

like the yellow.

Also don't forget it will also look different in the water
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-04-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
Buy a boat. Leave us alone already. God help us when you want accessories for the damn thing.
Old    abadsvt            12-04-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
Billy- I think you are jokin but since i don't know you i can't tell.

CL- I know i can't wait to see it on the water. I think it is going to be a little flashy.

Thanks everyone for helping me out. I am almost positive that i am going to buy this one. Also that is good to hear about the perfect pass. I plan on doing some surfing. Haven't done it yet but that will change soon!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-04-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
the MB won't match the truck, like you had planned before.
Old    abadsvt            12-04-2006, 3:35 PM Reply   
LOL. You are talking about the classic chevy truck right? I am building the truck as we speak but it has turned into a show truck with a tricked out suspension and a 2001 corvette motor and trans. Not finished yet since i am doing all the work but it is starting to look sweet! That post was a long time ago. Nice memory!
Josh
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-04-2006, 4:08 PM Reply   
just dont paint it to match this boat!
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-04-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
Don't worry about people giving you grief for posting a lot of questions. When you're dropping 50 large or so on a big purchase, especially if you're not familiar with all the things to pay attention to...better to be a bit of a pain and get it right.

The MB looks nice, but i would definitely demo them both before buying. It's the only way to really be sure. Also, I personally wouldn't worry about not having the 2-speed tranny. It's something else that could possibly go wrong. I don't believe it's an automatic transmission (though I'm not sure about this), so when you're out riding, somebody else might tach it out too much before shifting (that would be my worry anyway).

As for depreciation...take care of your ride, and whatever you buy (unless it's a Gecko v-drive (kidding)), you'll do ok in the re-sale market. MB's been around, and they will be around. They seem to have a loyal following...