Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old    jerbo007            07-23-2004, 8:00 AM Reply   
Are there any cable parks in So Cal. . Im in Santa Monica and looking for some rides.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-26-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
No, not yet, but I've heard a few rumors of different people that are looking into doing something like that.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-26-2004, 2:09 PM Reply   
Hmmmmm. Something tells me it might be...u. If not, it should be. I don't think you could go wrong on that venture - what shop wouldn't want to be a part of that?
Here's the good news; as your advisor, I'll only take a small cut since we're practically family and that's the type of guy I am. Now, I know what you're thinking...everyone's a joker, ha ha, but I'm serious I'll only take a small cut.

Sorry DW, I needed a laugh.

Notice to Lurkers: Nothing in this post is factual so don't go starting any rumors.
Old    xtremebordgurl            07-29-2004, 5:24 PM Reply   
Unfortunately there are only 5 cable parks in all of N. America 2 in FL, one in KC, one in TX, and one in Montreal Canada. Mind you Germany alone has over 50... I think we need to catch up.
Old    wakechick            07-30-2004, 4:56 AM Reply   
There is a cable park in Fayetteville, North Carolina. Not the best of the best, but it's a cable park.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
I believe the park in NC is no longer open.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-30-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
While we are talking about parks I'll throw in a few of my opinions.

Orlando Watersports Complex: This is my home park and I get an annual pass every year. OWC has a great selection of sliders. It has two cables. One cable can be used by slalom skiers and has a course. It is predominately used by beginner wakeboarders and kneeboarders. The shorter cable has almost all the sliders and is used by more advanced boarders. The lines on the advanced cable are generally fairly short because of the two cables. There is also a boat section that offers 30min pulls on a weighted SAN for $30. The biggest advantages to OWC are the slider selection, short lines on the advanced cable, and probably the easiest cable for beginners to learn.

Ski Rixen Deerfield: This cable is in South Florida and IMO isn't worth making the target of a vacation. The slider selection is merely OK, but the placement of the sliders is horrible. The sliders are placed in pairs where they both can't be hit in the same run. Two are placed on a far corner of a long cable. And the conditions make the walk back miserable. There are sharp rocks getting out of the lake, pine nuts that hurt your feet and an asphalt sidewalk that is no better. Rixen has a 3 lap limit and is run at a lower speed. The only good thing you can say about Rixen is that the best riders come from there and the people are really nice.

Texas Ski Ranch: TSR is a super cable. The carriers are several feet higher than OWC or Rixen (maybe 7') and runs at a good speed. You get a nice floaty feel when throwing air tricks, and I generally found it easier to try and learn more complex tricks. The slider selection is pretty good. It is almost or maybe on par with OWC, but IMO the TSR kicker and launch ramp are better designed than OWCs. YYMV, so basically it's thumbs up on TSR. The only disadvantage with OWC is there is only one cable so the lines will be longer. TSR also has a skate and xcross park, plus a boat (dont know the price). It wouldn't bother me to live next to TSR (that's and understatement).

Kansas: Don't know much about Kansas. I hear the cable is also higher like TSR (a good thing), but the speed is run lower. The lower speed is a compromise for beginners but it doesn't do much for more experienced riders. Although you could make the case since the best riders come from Rixen, speed shouldn't be an issue. The web site only showed an A-frame and a small table, but some of my friends went there for the cable tour last weekend and said they added more obstacles. I haven't had a chance to get the details yet.

There should be a new cable opening in Tampa, but I haven't been able to get a estimated opening date yet.