Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 5:14 AM Reply   
Hi there. New to this site. I am an avid wakeboarder/wakesurfer that was recently diagnosed with a health problem and I can't wakeboard anymore. So 100% surfing.

I have been doing a lot of research and I am really open to any brand. I am looking to spend out 80-100K on a new 2014 surf boat.

I have some demos set up this weekend. MB sports F21, Tige Z1 or RZ2, MC X-30 or X 10, and 2014 Nautique 210.

I live on a smaller lake but not tiny. It can handle a 23 foot boat if needed.

I know this might incite a small riot, but what is the best surf boat for me?

Switching sides is cool but not mandatory. I am more interested in a sick wake without throwing a ton of extra ballast.

I plan on demoing (sp?) some centurions as well. Thanks.

Phil
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       08-15-2013, 6:28 AM Reply   
Heard great things about the MB waves. I have a 210 Nautique with NSS, does more that just switch sides quickly. It throws a very nice, clean wave and not a TON of weight needed. Fit and finish is top notch, good resale, and much roomier than the Z1 IMHO. Have fun test driving!

For best results on the 210 with NSS... add more weight in the port side locker than the starboard side. A little extra bow weight is a good thing.

Bring some extra people along so they can move around in the boats you try... then you won't have to spend time filling sacs to adjust the surf wave. Plus, I like to get input from them.
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 6:31 AM Reply   
Is that a 2013 Nautique or 2014? I heard the 14 has a new hull

Also, any boats I should consider that I didn't mention?
Old     (mattl)      Join Date: Jul 2013       08-15-2013, 7:18 AM Reply   
Have you considered a Malibu with surfgate (VLX, MXZ or 23 lsv) or even the new Axis with surfgate? My local delaer quoted an '14 Axis around $60k with Surfgate.

The '14 Nautiques should have the same hull, but they have changed the seat layout and removed the rear facing back seat.

For your price range I don't think you could go wrong with the Nautiques or the MC x30 or x10.

Good luck finding a boat.
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
I haven't been too impressed by the surf gate. Especially on the MXZ. The LSV is fine.

In all honesty, the interior on the Axis is a joke
Old    rullery            08-15-2013, 8:16 AM Reply   
Best shape wave is going to be Supreme, Centurion and Tige. Not much experience with MB.

Nautique and Malibu have their side switching gadgets but if you are surf only I would be more concerned with quality and shape over convenience. That being said you can still get great waves from these brands.

it all comes down to preference, style, price, and dealer relationship so get out there and demo all of them! Then get back to us and let us know which way you are leaning.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-15-2013, 9:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Best shape wave is going to be Supreme, Centurion and Tige. Not much experience with MB.

Nautique and Malibu have their side switching gadgets but if you are surf only I would be more concerned with quality and shape over convenience. That being said you can still get great waves from these brands.

it all comes down to preference, style, price, and dealer relationship so get out there and demo all of them! Then get back to us and let us know which way you are leaning.

Agreed drive and ride them all, and see what you prefer, dealer, etc. Out of the box without changing or adding anything the Centurion is about impossible to compete with!
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 9:32 AM Reply   
Travis, does the centurion model matter? Have you guys heard anything about the new ramfill or the CATS fin? Any test them or see in person?
Old     (iamcdn)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-15-2013, 9:39 AM Reply   
I think all of your options will put out a good to great wave. I would highly recommend putting a lot of weight on the dealer as well as a good relationship with a dealer will help when issues arise.

I can speak to the 2013 210 with NSS as I have this boat and love the surf wave. I am not concerned about switching on the fly but am a believer that the NSS helps shape and create a nicer surf wave. You can't substitute for ballast and displacement, but the NSS definitely helps augment (I'll speak in MD terms ) the wave. We have been incredibly happy with the 210 surf wave and the quality of the boat despite having some technical issues to start out.

This is our first wake boat and I am super impressed.
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 9:41 AM Reply   
Thank you and I appreciate you speaking my language.

Can I ask what I should expect to pay out the door for 2014 or 2013 210? What did you pay for yours?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 9:43 AM Reply   
The Tige RZ2 will put out a awesome wake with all ballast hidden. You may want to add the Z3 to your list unless it's too big(23'9"). Come over to tigeowners.com and check out Ragboys videos on all the Tige waves on both sides.
Old     (edgeski1)      Join Date: Jan 2013 Location: Portage, Mi       08-15-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
The F21 is an incredibly easy boat to surf, the B52 23 is even better. LOOOOONG clean waves. Plus excellent build quality.
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-15-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
It's super easy to setup the F21. Throw a 750/900/1100 bag in the locker depending on how big you want the wave. Throw 400-500lbs in the nose. Fill surf side tank full and counter weight as needed on the non-surf side tank.

You get wicked wave with the above setup even with an empty boat. I surf with that setup all the time with only 2-man surf crew (yeah, call me anti social but I find that anything more than 3 surfers, you dont ride as much)

Here's a little clip. Ignore the weak 360 attempt. This was setup with only 450lbs in the locker but with 4 people sitting on the surf side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWWAS5dOUOM

Last edited by v10rider; 08-15-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-15-2013, 10:25 AM Reply   
Quote:
Travis, does the centurion model matter? Have you guys heard anything about the new ramfill or the CATS fin? Any test them or see in person?
It sounds like you are looking for a premium boat and with that being said I would look real hard at the FX22, SV233, or SV244. I personally like the 233 the best, I think in stock form it actually surfs better than the 244 IMO. I will probably get some abuse for saying this, but unless you are a core surfer, or have a lake house I wouldn't go with the RAMFILL system as you will lose a lot of storage capacity. The ballast capacity is about the same between the bags and RAMFILL, and with the ProVision II dash you can be set in no time with the bags, switching sides is quick and very, very simple. Its not a necessity at all, but CATS will help fine tune your wave and adds more adjustability to the face, drive, and length.
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
Anthony, you have any pics of that wake?
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       08-15-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Check my you tube link. SOmehow I failed to embed. By the way, the goofy side is even easier to setup
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 10:29 AM Reply   
Travis, I have heard the centurions don't surf well on both sides only regular. Is this true? I do have a lake house so storage doesn't matter! Ramfill looks sweet!
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       08-15-2013, 10:43 AM Reply   
I haven't ridden behind the Centurion with RAM fill but talked to a few who have... they said it seemed to intefere with the wave... to much turbelance.? and water in the tanks sloshed around causing the boat to porpus. That's what I've heard. The best part about buying a new boat is the shopping!
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 10:45 AM Reply   
Agreed. Love the term "porpoise" by the way. Awesome!
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-15-2013, 10:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
Travis, I have heard the centurions don't surf well on both sides only regular. Is this true? I do have a lake house so storage doesn't matter! Ramfill looks sweet!
I disagree with that - all of the new Centurion boats do great on both sides. With that being said the FX22 is a totally new boat (for 2013 and the FX44 for 14') built for both sides. Demo one and you'll see!
Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2013, 10:54 AM Reply   
Also something you should consider is the Centurion boats have an available graphic that says in huge letters "Surf" on the side of the hull. A buddy of mine used to be a pro ocean surfer and hates that graphic.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-15-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Maybe the biggest and the most fun wave I have ever ridden was behind an MB B52 23WB. Do not count out that MB its a killer boat, good quality and kicks out one sweet wave...
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
I have to agree with your buddy JetRanger. The "surf" graphic is a absolutely horrible. Probably the worst boat graphic ever.
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
Thanks Ben. I am seeing a lot of MB love on here! To be honest, they were at the bottom of my list! I might have to give it serious thought! Thanks Guys!
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 12:08 PM Reply   
2012 F21 Tomcat

Excuse the nasty water...lol
Attached Images

Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 12:09 PM Reply   
That is sick! How did you have it weighted?

Also, what is the water depth and how many people in the boat?

Last edited by DocPhilMD; 08-15-2013 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added more info
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 12:18 PM Reply   
Stock ballast on goofy side 900lbs
Plus 540lb in the back locker
400lb under back seat (behind driver)
Driver (150lb)
and 2 people in the goofy side corner (350lbs)

so around 2340lbs @ 11.2 mph
but i usually put people in the bow to make the wave longer...but not here
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
but most of the time its just me and my wife driving and the wake is still awesome on the goofy side (and all the ballast is under seats so still have lots of room

for regular side...it likes wieght in the bow do to prop rotation (clockwise)
Old     (F725)      Join Date: May 2010       08-15-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
One thing to keep in mind is not how much weight you have to put in but how low it sits in the water after weighting and how it handles with that weight.

I've never ridden in or behind an MB but the wave looks sweet. It does however look like it's sitting quite low in the water but...

I had to totally eat my shoes... I was all for boat lean and against the ease of switching from side to side but the NSS on my 210 has totally kept me stoked!
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 12:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by F725 View Post
One thing to keep in mind is not how much weight you have to put in but how low it sits in the water after weighting and how it handles with that weight.

I've never ridden in or behind an MB but the wave looks sweet. It does however look like it's sitting quite low in the water but...

I had to totally eat my shoes... I was all for boat lean and against the ease of switching from side to side but the NSS on my 210 has totally kept me stoked!
i do agree that the NNS systems and the SG are good for switching sides very fast (i havnt rode either one) but you are also going to pay $20K more for either of the new boats with these options (unless its a AXIS)

Im just a fan of MB cause thats the first and only boat i have ever owned...your major brands are great boats if you want to pay the extra.....in my case...i could not that why i went with MB
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 12:57 PM Reply   
my MB has handled great with this wieght in it...turns on a dime
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 12:58 PM Reply   
Micah, thanks for the pics. Any regular side pics?
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPhilMD View Post
That is sick! How did you have it weighted?

Also, what is the water depth and how many people in the boat?
depth is probably around 20....river goes form 12 -32 ft it varies

i do know that in less that 10ft...it has a big imact on the wave
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
the wash is there on the regular side (due to no trim tab) but with the tab it cleans it up nice as ive seen on a buddys MB 23 WB
Attached Images

Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
top two arnt the best pics of the wake
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
so if you surf regular...i would for sure recomend the trim tab
Old    DocPhilMD            08-15-2013, 1:31 PM Reply   
Micah, Grams is rockin it out!

Is that bottom one with the trim tab?
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-15-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
What about the Supreme V226? If I could order a new boat at this moment, the V226 as well as the Centurion SV244 would be the top 2 front runners for the sole purpose of surfing. MBs are starting to make some noise as well. There was a thread posted last week with a MB in it, and the wave looked incredible.
I've also rode behind a NSS equipped boat, but it was a G23. Only stock ballast in the G and it threw the best surf wave with only stock ballast that I have seen/rode... not sure if that would be the same with the SAN 210 or 230. It also seems that there has been talk that the new 210s will be in the 90k range, and the 230 pushing low 100k range.
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 1:54 PM Reply   
no...but the top two where with some Photographers that where all over the place moving all the time....lol

Let me see if i have any better ones

and yeah my mom almost 60 and still surfs, wakeboards, and skis...same with my dad...and hes a big guy
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-15-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
The 23' MB with the tab is dead to nuts easy to set up to surf. Fill all the factory ballast, put a 750 or 1100 in the corner and an integrated bow sack (and some lead or peeps if you want to go all out). We don't actually deploy the tab, but it's great for knocking down the propwash that you can see in Micah's "bad" pics. I just added the tab and plumbed in the ballast this season (third summer on the boat) and am real happy with the wave. We still wakeboard a lot, so I don't want crazy weight in the boat that will take forever to drain.

That will get you a good surfable LONG wave with lots of room for error on the boat. Still probably 4" till the rub rail at the stern, and no risk of taking water over the bow unless you really really try (knock wood we are at 240ish hours and still haven't taken a drop over the bow, and not for lack of trying).

Forgive my terrible gopro orientation and less than spectacular skills:

Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 1:55 PM Reply   
you can get a loaded MB for around 60K or less
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndoggy View Post
The 23' MB with the tab is dead to nuts easy to set up to surf. Fill all the factory ballast, put a 750 or 1100 in the corner and an integrated bow sack (and some lead or peeps if you want to go all out). We don't actually deploy the tab, but it's great for knocking down the propwash that you can see in Micah's "bad" pics. I just added the tab and plumbed in the ballast this season (third summer on the boat) and am real happy with the wave. We still wakeboard a lot, so I don't want crazy weight in the boat that will take forever to drain.

That will get you a good surfable LONG wave with lots of room for error on the boat. Still probably 4" till the rub rail at the stern, and no risk of taking water over the bow unless you really really try (knock wood we are at 240ish hours and still haven't taken a drop over the bow, and not for lack of trying).

Forgive my terrible gopro orientation and less than spectacular skills:

what is your prop rotation
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-15-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
same as all MBs -- LH. (prop in the vid = 2315)
Old     (MICAH_HARPER)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2013, 2:03 PM Reply   
These are from Bill Smeltzers 23 WB. with counter clockwise prop rotation and a tab....not sure if he uses it though...maybe he will see this and chime in
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       08-15-2013, 2:09 PM Reply   
yep good point... the 23's can put out identical waves reg and goofy.
Old     (BenHolloway)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-15-2013, 3:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCObray View Post
What about the Supreme V226? If I could order a new boat at this moment, the V226 as well as the Centurion SV244 would be the top 2 front runners for the sole purpose of surfing. MBs are starting to make some noise as well. There was a thread posted last week with a MB in it, and the wave looked incredible.
I've also rode behind a NSS equipped boat, but it was a G23. Only stock ballast in the G and it threw the best surf wave with only stock ballast that I have seen/rode... not sure if that would be the same with the SAN 210 or 230. It also seems that there has been talk that the new 210s will be in the 90k range, and the 230 pushing low 100k range.
The 226, in my top 3 surf boats for sure I think they are on par with MB, although the MB interior seemed a bit more durable and cleaner looking as for the Enzo I have not ridden one that is sacked out, I rode a heavily weighted 244 at the p-bear last year and I wasn't blown away, it was good but need a little more dial in time, I hear really good things about the new cats system and I hope to check one out soon...
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-15-2013, 7:54 PM Reply   
I am a doc too. If you are as busy as me you need to take into account dealer proximity and service reputation. I have been behind most all of the popular surf boats out there and many when properly weighted make an awesome wave. A few standouts being Tige Z1, Supreme, Centurions (take alot of weight), and the MC X-30. I have no MB dealers near so was never interested in them.

When I took into account:
-Price
-Wave quality
-Boat quality, fit, finish, reputaion
-Dealer proximity and reputaion

I ended up very happily with a 2013 MC X-30. Its a hell of a boat for the price!

Old     (JetRanger)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-15-2013, 8:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
I have to agree with your buddy JetRanger. The "surf" graphic is a absolutely horrible. Probably the worst boat graphic ever.
What area of medicine?
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-16-2013, 10:35 AM Reply   
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=39021
This one might take the cake, and by the looks of it, it is owned by Pro Wakesurfer Bri Chmel.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2013, 3:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=39021
This one might take the cake, and by the looks of it, it is owned by Pro Wakesurfer Bri Chmel.
Sounds like a SMOKIN HOT DEAL!!! One observation though........it's set up for a Goofy rider.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-16-2013, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
Sounds like a SMOKIN HOT DEAL!!! One observation though........it's set up for a Goofy rider.
Perfect for the only side worth riding.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-16-2013, 4:46 PM Reply   
It is a screaming deal, however we (Centurion) have taken a deposit on the boat.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-16-2013, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Perfect for the only side worth riding.
I completely understand since I'm goofy myself. What I've observed is 90% of the people we have surfed or wake boarded with ride regular.
Old     (zimme)      Join Date: Feb 2013       08-17-2013, 5:30 AM Reply   
My supra puts out a nice wave when it's weighted with a 750 bag in the corner, a 400lb bag up front, and a few people on the surf side. This picture doesn't do the wave justice... it was waist high on me and I'm 6 foot. Probably had a 8 ft long pocket too.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2013, 6:11 AM Reply   
You don't look 6' tall in the picture. LOL But the wave does look waist high.
Old     (MCObray)      Join Date: Mar 2013       08-17-2013, 6:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogod77 View Post
It is a screaming deal, however we (Centurion) have taken a deposit on the boat.
Ah, I see. Someone is going to be very happy with that boat.... as well as that killer V226 white/silver flake that you've got.
Old     (Thedudeparty8080)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-17-2013, 7:47 AM Reply   
What kind of boat do you have now?
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-17-2013, 9:40 AM Reply   
Yes speaking as an former pro, the The SURF graphic is horrible... but it pulls right off, in fact it usually starts to falls off after some use. First thing we pulled off the 233 we used for awhile last year. Virtually any recent wake craft has the potential to create a decent to exceptional surfing wake. It really depends on how much effort you are willing to put into it. Some people want out of the box use, others want to customize. Most boats still throw a better wake on one side or the other.... but those difference are far less obvious with later year production. For 2013 we received a surf gate equipped 23LSV, unwrapping this beast of a 23, was quite impressive. The interior space and finished were the best I have seen in a long time. Right there and in some case surpassing (IMO) other top tiers like MC and AN.

That being said, there are some lower cost, not necessarily lower end boat manufactures that clearly get it, and spend the extra time, not only in developing and finishing their molds, but also not totally skimping on the interior and finishes just to get a boat in the 60K range.

Nick
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-17-2013, 11:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ah, I see. Someone is going to be very happy with that boat.... as well as that killer V226 white/silver flake that you've got.
Thanks Mason, ya I get a lot of calls on my v226, waiting for the right buyer - it look even better in person!
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-21-2013, 2:30 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimper View Post
I am a doc too. If you are as busy as me you need to take into account dealer proximity and service reputation. I have been behind most all of the popular surf boats out there and many when properly weighted make an awesome wave. A few standouts being Tige Z1, Supreme, Centurions (take alot of weight), and the MC X-30. I have no MB dealers near so was never interested in them.

When I took into account:
-Price
-Wave quality
-Boat quality, fit, finish, reputaion
-Dealer proximity and reputaion

I ended up very happily with a 2013 MC X-30. Its a hell of a boat for the price!

The X-30 is a great looking boat, but isn't the price north of $100k? I know last year at the Sac Boat Show the X-25 was on boat show special for about $105k out the door. And one thing about MC is there dealer network is really strong, seems like they are well placed throughout the country. Surfwake looks really nice on your boat, especially from the high angle. Surf pics are a bit deceiving, anything shot from the swim platform pretty much makes the wake look huge....

Last edited by fman; 08-21-2013 at 2:34 PM.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-21-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
Hi there. New to this site. I am an avid wakeboarder/wakesurfer that was recently diagnosed with a health problem and I can't wakeboard anymore. So 100% surfing.

I have been doing a lot of research and I am really open to any brand. I am looking to spend out 80-100K on a new 2014 surf boat.

I have some demos set up this weekend. MB sports F21, Tige Z1 or RZ2, MC X-30 or X 10, and 2014 Nautique 210.

I live on a smaller lake but not tiny. It can handle a 23 foot boat if needed.

I know this might incite a small riot, but what is the best surf boat for me?

Switching sides is cool but not mandatory. I am more interested in a sick wake without throwing a ton of extra ballast.

I plan on demoing (sp?) some centurions as well. Thanks.

Phil
This boat right here....

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=39250

Add another 400-600 lbs in bow area and you are money, plus the boat has a nice stereo and only 15 hours.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-21-2013, 2:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
The X-30 is a great looking boat, but isn't the price north of $100k? I know last year at the Sac Boat Show the X-25 was on boat show special for about $105k out the door. And one thing about MC is there dealer network is really strong, seems like they are well placed throughout the country. Surfwake looks really nice on your boat, especially from the high angle.
MSRPs are pretty marked up on Mastercrafts. In most markets you can negotiate a new X30 down to around 90k. So not cheap, but it's a great boat and I receive an outstanding level of on the lift service from my dealership/salesman.
Old     (kimper)      Join Date: May 2008       08-21-2013, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Surfwake looks really nice on your boat, especially from the high angle. Surf pics are a bit deceiving, anything shot from the swim platform pretty much makes the wake look huge....
Thanks, here it is from the "typical" angle off the back deck, heheh

Old     (scooootb)      Join Date: Aug 2013       08-21-2013, 5:04 PM Reply   
I own a 2012 Super Air Nautique 230, in Central New York and am partners on a Malibu 2011LSV 23. They are both amazing wake surf boats. I have owned 7 Nautiques over the years. The Malibu I have now is my first from Malibu.

In the long haul, it is the quality of the boat and company that matters most when buying a boat. Both Correct Craft and Mailbu are very stable. Each company is run by strong and fair leaders who have built a great company in addition to great boats.

Even though Correct Craft sold a few years ago, it is still a wonderful company with a great deal of integrity. Malibu is as well.

Stay away from Mastercraft. The company has been through numerous transaction and as a result, the boats often suffer from lower levels of quality and service. I have heard story after story of MC not standing behind their boats.

Lastly, TIge seems to be winning a lot of friends and admirers out west. They are committed to surfing. For a long time, they were a bargain boat. But they are on the rise.

For my money, Nautique stands on top. Closely behind is Malibu. Arguably, Malibu gives you more boat for the dollar.

And for surfing, both of my boats are great. In the Nautique 230, we have had the NSS retrofitted. It is an amazing system. The first summer with my 230 we ran 900# sacs in the rear lockets, 500# in the bow and an additional enzo sac under the windshield seat on the left side and a 600# sac on the seat on the right side. A lot of weight to push. And the wave was epic. This year with the NSS i have been able to get a significantly better wake without the Enzo sac on the left and the 600 pounder on the right seat. The wake is longer, cleaner and provides more push.

On the Malibu LSV 23, we run an Enzo sac on each side plus the factory ballast and the wedge. The wakes on both sides are amazing. The left is the best wake I have ever ridden. My buddy with an Enzo was out last weekend and he said my wake is far superior to his.

for a long time I tried to get the maximum our of a Nautique 210 and also a Nautique SV-211. In both cases i concluded I was pushing the boats too hard and using too much weight.

A 23 footer from Nautique or Mailbu gets my vote. Great boats with great companies behind them.

Last edited by scooootb; 08-21-2013 at 5:06 PM. Reason: forgot to add link
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-21-2013, 6:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
This boat right here....

http://www.onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=39250

Add another 400-600 lbs in bow area and you are money, plus the boat has a nice stereo and only 15 hours.
The owner sure didn't use it much.Most boat owners put that many hours in a month of ownership.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-21-2013, 7:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwb4me View Post
The owner sure didn't use it much.Most boat owners put that many hours in a month of ownership.
That is chattwake's boat

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       08-22-2013, 2:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrw160 View Post
That is chattwake's boat

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
I don't think its typical for him to only run 15 hours, but someone will benefit from it... its a very nice boat, that is turn key ready to go.
Old     (axxxiswake)      Join Date: Jun 2013       08-23-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
Phil -

Looks like you're in Midland. You don't, by chance, know someone in the medical sales industry with the initials D B do you?

Anyways, in MI, there a couple of great dealers. Action Water Sports is a mastercraft dealer on the west side. Awesome dealership. Can't say enough good things about them. Also, in the KZoo area, Gull Lake Marine (disclosure: my dealer) is awesome as well. They sell malibu and axis.

PM me if you want to talk specifics.