Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-06-2012, 3:29 PM Reply   
So I was looking at buying a more surf specific boat, and the dealership actually talked me out of it. They are convinced I can get a good enuff wake from my supra 21v, so instead of writing a $70K check I'll be trying to dial in the wake a bit more with some assistance from the crew at the dealership.

Now for the questions.
1. Would a more surf specific swim platform make a noticible difference? $600 for the new supra surf platform installed is a lot less than a new boat.

2.Are the boards from Ronix really that bad? Even the new parks carbon? More importantly why are they so bad?

3. What board should I get? I'm 6'2" about 225#. The problem seems to be not enough push from the wake. Maybe my old hyperlite boards are too slow? Do I need a "faster" board? What board is fast and can handle my fat arse? I am a beginner I suppose. But a solid wake boarder, so will probably pick it up fairly quickly.

TIA
Old     (drnate)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-06-2012, 3:40 PM Reply   
Well, I can't answer all of your questions but I can tell you that I used to have a Moomba and couldn't get a decent wave for surfing on the Port side, only Starboard. It was an 04 though.

I am about your same size so I can speak to boards. You first have to decide if you would prefer surf or skim. I would look at Triple X Boards if you are looking to save a buck. The larger Nitro would work well. If you're looking at Inland Surfer, I would recommend the Swallow. (both of these are surf style). You could look at Triple X Composites if you prefer skim style.

The problem in my experience with Wakeboard brand companies when they attempt to make a wakesurfer is they tend to add too much rocker, like you would a wakeboard. But then again, I know nothing about the Parks Carbon.

Hope this gets you headed in the right direction. You might also check out the Supra boats forum on how best to weight your boat for surfing.

I just got tired of trying and bought a Centurion
Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-06-2012, 4:50 PM Reply   
If I'm being honest, I assume I will do the same. Maybe not centurion, but MB or Mojo (once there is more info out there) or supra 242 (not that this is a surf specific boat, but I love it and I'm sure it surfs fine). I just figured I can try the current supra, to appease my wife, and buy something more if needed later.

The guys at the dealership were saying that boat loves weight in the bow. This is something I haven't done too much of, so I'll start there.

Any thoughts on the swim platform?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-06-2012, 5:19 PM Reply   
Wait on the swim platform. The swim platform can hurt the wave by cutting into the water flowing past it, typically when the boat Is heavily weighted. Is your platform cutting into the water with your current setup? I doubt it is.

You need to buy some BIG sacks....get your self a big one for your surf side locker, as big as you can....don't worry about completely filling it, it will contour a bit and you may find your boat doesn't like as much weight back there...in that case, just don't fill it all the way!. Get a few 250-300 lb sacks and a pump that runs off your cig lighter so you can easily move the weight around and experiment. Try weight in belly (middle), aft, bow(like dealer said), and everything in between. Make sure to adjust speed...typically like 10.5 to 12 mph depending on how you are weighted. Couple hundred bucks in ballast sure beats $70k+ for a new boat! AND you will always want more weight so if you get a new boat, you'll use the extra sacs anyways!

Look into the shred stixx boards and inland surfer. The big wakeboard names typically make crap. My hyperlight coex is fun, but comparing it to my shred stixx elevation is like comparing a Ferrari to a Toyota.
Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-06-2012, 5:51 PM Reply   
Yeah, I currently have 1100# in the belly. And 750# surf side. Then I have two 350#s that I can move around as needed. I just have never put one of those in the bow.

I hope that's enuff. If needed ill buy more. Maybe even a v shaped bow sac.

My current swim platform is very wide and even has a handle that wraps all the way around. Do you think there is a chance that the newer/ more narrow platform could upset the wake?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-06-2012, 6:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprafly08 View Post
I Maybe not centurion
Hit me up if you ever want to surf an Enzo 244. I am in Highland Village and ride Lewisville. I also could probably get a Inland Surfer Blue Lake for you to test ride.

Last edited by lakesurfer; 06-06-2012 at 6:24 PM.
Old     (dougr)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-06-2012, 6:43 PM Reply   
the ronix is junk, dont waste your money. I understand what your goal is but you will stuggle to get the wave you are really looking for with your supra. if you can slam it and get a nice wave, there is no seating left, bags everywhere, over the rub rail, water coming over the sun pad, then you are just waiting to take a big wave over the bow or sink it. i had a bu, vlx (05 06 vride hull, before the newer hull) there was no way to get a good wave. It was a major pain, bags everywhere. i ended up with an 09 enzo then this year a new 244. if you can find nice used deep v and sell your supra, you can probably find the right boat with out breaking the bank. if you hit up lakesurfer, you will love the wave and then you will know what your expectations are.
Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-06-2012, 8:29 PM Reply   
From triple x, is the bamboo nitro pro x 5'4" a solid board for my size? Triple x naming system seems to be quite confusing. Thanks again all!!!
Old     (suprafly08)      Join Date: Dec 2008       06-06-2012, 9:11 PM Reply   
Continued from above!!!

Or is the Inland Surfer blue lake a better board than the triple x? There is a substantial price difference, but if it is worth it...
Old     (donb)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-07-2012, 2:07 PM Reply   
Here's my 2 cents.
1 A good swim platform will clean up your wave. You may want to wait until you get your boat ballasted the way you want before you change platforms. That way you can observe the wave while surfing and see where you need to make changes.
2 The only Ronix board I've ridden is the Koal. In my opinion it is a good board. It has decent rocker and good speed which would make it well suited for a smaller wake.
3 I would recommend talking to a board builder. Either Jeff Wahler at Soulcraft or the folks at the Walker Project. They can sell or make you a board that you can be happy with.
Hope this was helpful.