Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-16-2010, 7:13 PM Reply   
I was just wondering if anybody is using a trailblazer as a tow vehicle. My friend has one that he is selling and it fits into my budget. However I'm not sure if it will be the right choice if it can't pull a boat. I don't have a boat yet but I will be getting one soon so I will need something to go with it. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Old    ScottRobinson            08-16-2010, 7:18 PM Reply   
Engine?
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-16-2010, 7:36 PM Reply   
Edmunds shows the '05 as having 6,300 lb towing capacity. I'm pretty blown away by that spec if it's true.

That's more than the Explorer, V6 Tacoma and what not are rated. That's actually more than some of the base model V6 1/2 ton trucks are rated for.

It really depends on what boats you're considering. A 21' inboard with trailer will be in the 4,200 lb range with trailer and a full tank of gas. 23' inboards will be more like 5,000-5,500 lbs. I would not seek out a Trailblazer to tow that kind of weight anywhere accept to the local launch and back though. If I happened to own a TrailBlazer and then bought a 4,200 lb boat I'd certainly tow it with it. If I bought a 5,000 lb boat and the towing spec on this car is correct then I'd still tow it here and there but I would be in the market for a more suitable tow vehicle.

You're probably better off getting something on a 1/2 ton chassis and a medium size V8 and that way you're options in a wakeboard boat are pretty wide open.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       08-16-2010, 8:56 PM Reply   
I used to own an 05 trailblazer for a couple years. I towed my 99 Prostar 205 with it and didn't have any problems, until I went up some steep hills. It sucked going up long steep hills. but for fairly level grounds I never had a problem. Gas mileage sucked while towing, but that's to be expected. I also added air bags to the back to help with sagging while towing. I wouldn't tow a boat bigger then 21' with it though, unless very short distances.
Old     (antoddio)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-16-2010, 8:58 PM Reply   
I looked at the trailblazer, but after a lot of internet research I wasn't happy with the performance or reliability. Ended up getting a 4 runner, 7K towing capacity. I lug around a boat that's almost 6K when loaded up. Does well. I wouldn't use it around long steep hills, but moderate hills are fine. Has larger brakes then a tahoe and 4 piston calipers, so stopping isn't a problem. Darn good tow vehicle.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-17-2010, 12:08 AM Reply   
It will work just fine. I tow a 215 Sanger with my Saab 9-7x and the 4.2 engine. it will cross mountain passes on cruise control and no sign of heat issues.
These things are on the Saab but are options on the Trailblazer: high ratio gears, air suspension rear. The Saab also has AWD which stabilizes the ride some and a quick ratio steering box which makes it easier to wander if you don't pay attention, but it tracks true if you don't try to reset the navigation or something that takes your eyes away.
The V8 gives more low end torque with similar mileage so that is a better choice then the I6 of mine but the gears will make more difference than the engine.
The Envoy has a softer ride, and an Olds Bravada is another choice with AWD. The extended size has the same gear so does not tow any better, although the wheelbase helps a little. You will need mirror extensions. There are some that strap on the stock mirrors.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-17-2010, 6:17 AM Reply   
Wife drove one several years ago. Towed a 3800lb Tige' a couple of times with it. I would not recommend for anything outside short distances.
Old     (2tuff)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2010, 6:37 AM Reply   
I had an '02 LTZ Trailblazer. I used it to pull my 85 Malibu Skier with no problems at all. I upgraded boats to a SAN 210 and that was a little more of a workout for it but it did it fine. Other things I pulled with it included 1500# car trailers loaded with 5000# cars, and a horse trailer with 3 horses in it. I had the 6 cylinder in mine and the tow package. As long as the brakes on the trailer are in good condition and there were no long steep grades it handled itself fine. That is until one day while pulling the 210 out of the water, the electronic transfer case decided to shift into neutral instead of 4 lo......
Name:  4549_206613175187_688860187_7181755_2404360_n.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  9.5 KB

Last edited by 2tuff; 08-17-2010 at 6:40 AM.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-17-2010, 10:40 AM Reply   
I tow with virtually the same vehicle and like others have said it does well on flats but labors up long hills/climbs. A lot of people put on additional trans coolers
and if it doesn't already come with air bags i would put those on as well. The rear end does tend to sag a bit.
I have a 89 Malibu that weighs in at 2700 lbs which is probably putting me in the 4000-4200 lb category with gas gear and trailer. The boats that i've looked at upgrading to are all in the 21" range and are all within 300 lbs of what i'm currently towing.
Having a good trailer with trailer brakes is definately going to help when it comes to stopping.

Quick question
Mine is an 04 isuzu ascender
How can one find out what the gearing is?
Old     (_vitty_)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-17-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
I tow with an 06 Trailblazer SS. It has the 6.0 litre V8 in it though along with upgraded suspension(rear is air bags) and upgraded brakes. It tows my Epic like its not even there. The Epic is a light boat at only 3200 pounds. I also have a dual axel trailer with brakes. I would hesitate to tow it with a standard trailblazer though...
Old     (elc)      Join Date: Jan 2008       08-17-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrider View Post
I was just wondering if anybody is using a trailblazer as a tow vehicle. My friend has one that he is selling and it fits into my budget. However I'm not sure if it will be the right choice if it can't pull a boat. I don't have a boat yet but I will be getting one soon so I will need something to go with it. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Depends on how much you tow, conditions (heat) and hills. I use an 08 5.3 tahoe to tow 22ft vdrive. Around town (ten miles from the lake) it tows great. Towing up long grades in heat (100+ temps) the tahoe trans gets hot every time (with a larger trans cooler).
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       08-17-2010, 11:06 AM Reply   
I don't know if it tows any more or not, but i used to have a trailblazer ss. it was fast as hell and had a lot more power than the regular one. it was also really cool inside. the only thing i ever towed with it was a four wheeler and a rhino i think. My boat was in my boathouse the whole time i had that car. it just wasn't a big enough ride for me. I had a tahoe before that so i had to go back to one, nothing else would do for me.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
WOW! 12 posts in this thread and not ONE mention of you needing a Diesel!? WW must be broken
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-17-2010, 12:28 PM Reply   
You really shouldn't tow with anything less than an an International CXT:
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-17-2010, 12:38 PM Reply   
Ha, ha, ha....

My mom has the Saab version. She's on her second one. It's been a great vehicle all around, though I will say her gas mileage is less than impressive with the I6 motor. It's quite a bit less than my 3/4 ton DIESEL. Sorry.... couldn't resist, but really it's pretty bad. About 14 mpg average. About what my old Tahoe got with the 5.3.
Old     (2tuff)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-17-2010, 12:40 PM Reply   
Sorry - I guess I should have mentioned that after my TB went in the drink - I replaced it with a F350 DIESEL lol
Old     (hughes144)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-17-2010, 2:03 PM Reply   
I own 2005 Trailblazer and hauling 06 Moomba Mobius LSV with no problem. The only thing that sucked was gas.
Old     (kcrider)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-20-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I know going in it will suck on gas butI won't be going more than 20 miles to my nearest lake. I'm still looking but you guys were a lot of help. I'd only keep it for a few years and I won't be getting anything bigger than a 21. Anything bigger might be out of my budget anyway. Thanks again.
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-20-2010, 11:05 PM Reply   
I pulled a 2001 wakesetter vlx with a Saab 9-7x same platform as the trailblazer just a hell of a lot nicer.It worked great and i towed 1-1.5 hr each way over hilly terrain.Bought a bigger rig when we got a bigger boat but it worked great for the 01
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-21-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
When i hit the lotto I am going to get one of those internationals to tow my 236.
Old     (wakecumberland)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-21-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
I'm with ya Dave! I've wanted one of those for years!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-21-2010, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
You really shouldn't tow with anything less than an an International CXT:
I really like that International from the cab forward but it looks kind of dumb and incomplete since they just threw a Ford F350 dually bed on it. It doesn't line up at all. Also the front fenders have black flares and the back has nothing. The F650 looks much better and complete. Since International has made the Powerstroke for Ford until this year they probably have the same drivetrain as well.

As for the Trailblazer it will be jsut fine for 20 mile trips and a 21 foot boat. Just drive within yourself. Leave lots of room for breaking and go a little in the slow side. Having a tandem trailer and good 4 wheel disc brakes will make stopping a non issue. The transmission might be the biggest but if you leave it out of overdrive up hills and take it easy up hills it should be ok. A transmission cooler is a niice and inexpensive upgrade.