Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-06-2008, 3:42 PM Reply   
I'm heading out to the beach for the long weekend to learn how to surf. I've been wakesurfing like crazy and have gotten pretty good at it. I'm wondering, would any of my skills from wakesurfing translate to ocean surfing? Are there any similarities?
Old     (waketowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       11-06-2008, 4:03 PM Reply   
ehh it helps the other way around.
Old     (deepcove)      Join Date: Mar 2004       11-06-2008, 6:58 PM Reply   
Are there some simlarities....yes. Is it the same.....no.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-06-2008, 7:01 PM Reply   
which means?
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-07-2008, 2:15 AM Reply   
IMHO:

wakesurfing is to wave surfing as treadmill is to road running.
Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       11-07-2008, 7:24 AM Reply   
^^^^
That was pretty good!
Old     (rhawn)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-07-2008, 7:36 AM Reply   
Paddling is overrated
Old     (crushing76)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-07-2008, 10:01 AM Reply   
You will be AMAZED at how much work paddling is compared to the endless wave a boat makes, then being picked up after you wreck.

I wakesurf, then tried to surf in the ocean. After finally overcoming my fear of being eaten alive, I got in the water to be pummeled by the incoming waves. I was able to get upafter a few attempts for a VERY SHORT 15 second ride. THEN, I got pummeled again going back out.

By the end of my session, my arms felt like jello, and I couldn't even paddle fast enough to catch the wave.

With all that said, I do believe wakesurfing helped with my balance and the feel of the board on the water. And it made me realize how easy wakesurfing is in comparison.
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-07-2008, 11:25 AM Reply   
Thanks guys,

I'm off to the waves!
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-07-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
It greatly helps from the point when you really ride. But to get there you must learn all other parts of it - and that is 99,99999999 % of your time in ocean.
All other stuff you dont know is: choosing right place and wave for you, entering swell, reading ocean, avoiding or using rip currents, etc. Paddling, duckdiving, catching waves and getting off in right time. How to behave during wipeouts etc. etc.

Now as wakesurfer you know something about your balance, sweet point, accelerating and decelarating etc. and that is great.

On the other hand, without wakesurfing, when you imagine that you got only fractions of second for improving you riding skill in ocean I think ist more painful to get somewhere You can clearly see that everybody who just catched wave doesnt want to loose it so he is not trying any new tricks and if, he will do it just at the very end of his ride.
Old     (duramat)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-07-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
I will never know,,,"JAWS" pretty much cinched the deal that I will never get in the big blue. That pic with the orca on the goofy side (my side) also cemented the idea.
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-07-2008, 9:56 PM Reply   
If you all ready know how to surf in the ocean, wakesurfing definitely will improve your small wave riding abilities. But you still have to get over that 99% part - judging and catching the wave, timing your get-up, getting up fast with your feet in the right place, etc. etc. Good luck.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-07-2008, 10:44 PM Reply   
and also locals!
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-08-2008, 5:38 PM Reply   
^^^^^

Thats the truth!

I used to fish for sharks at one of my favorite breaks when they were running, especially loved it when guys came by to check the breaks. Since we don't great surf all the time, the local guys drive around checking the good breaks. It scared most people away from surfing when they saw you bull a 5 or 6 ft black tip or bull shark outta the water at the surf break.
Old     (hawaj)      Join Date: Aug 2005       11-09-2008, 12:16 PM Reply   
yea and injuries are pretty nasty too. Several cuts from fins etc. Dangerous sea animals and oil spils from tankers. Dont even want to know when some other surfer run into you, your leashes entangled and both of you got wipeouted .... scaaaaary awww