Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old    balance            09-29-2005, 4:26 AM Reply   
Hi!
I'm storing my boat for the winter now, but I was wondering how much non-freeze solution to mut im ny engine? I have a chevrolet 350 EFI engine in the boat. The boat is freshwater driven. Any other things I shuld worry about?

Thanks in advance, ride the big one ;)
Old     (elmog)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-29-2005, 6:11 AM Reply   
You could put as little as none. You dont need to put antifreeze in your engine. You really only need to drain all of the water out of it. On that boat, it would mean removing the two drains on the lower part of the block, removing the two plugs in the back of the maifold, removing the impeller from the front of the engine and disconnecting one-end of the rest of the hoses connected to the engine to let them drain. If your boat has a heater, remove both heater hoses and blow thru one to empty the heater core. If you have a shower, you'd want to drain the lines for that also.
Old    alanp            09-29-2005, 3:02 PM Reply   
yeah i wouldnt bother with antifreeze just drain it. fog the plugs and treat the gas.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-29-2005, 3:16 PM Reply   
wow, norway! no wonder you'r al ready winterizing!
Old    balance            09-30-2005, 3:21 AM Reply   
I really need antifreeze. There down to -45 degrees celsius here! ALOT of engines has broken because of the cold.. And all of them was drained.
Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-30-2005, 2:34 PM Reply   
I live in Winnipeg, which has got to be the coldest place in North America. We regularly get down into the -40's during the winter nights (and sometime days!). I have never used antifreeze in the engine block. If you drain the block properly, there will be nothing in there to freeze.
I have a Merc 350 MPI, and it has 4 drain plugs on the block. After I pull those, I hand turn the water pump, and remove some of the hoses. I blow compressed air in from the top for a few seconds, and that's it (other than other regular winterizing stuff like impellor, oil, etc)

Important thing to remember is: The block can't crack if there is no liquid that can freeze in it. Antifreeze can freeze if not properly mixed. Why take the chance?

Trash

P.S I just winterized my boat last weekend. Getting too cold to ride now :-(