Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 04, 2009

Old    birddawg1980            08-14-2009, 7:09 PM Reply   
Need some opinions............

Ok, so I am looking at a 2003 SAN with 300 hours. Boat is in great cosmetic condition. Prop looked solid with no dings etc. Interior seems to have the slightest bit of fade to it, but ust barely.

The second is 2005 Mastercraft X-7 with 495 hours. Yes the hours are high, but the boat is as close to mint condition as you could possibly get. Zero fade, literally not one scratch and was kept in a garage where I saw how clean all of this owners other toys had been kept. The engine was clean enough to eat off of.

Both are being sold for $25,000.

Mastercraft Cons:
-High hours. (Although owner said I would be able to let the mechanic do a thorough check)
-Not going to be a great wakeboard boat, although I am an amateur at best as of right now on a wakeboard.
-It is limited seating due to the V-Drive.
Pros:
-Very sharp looking boat.
-Obviously been kept in pristine condition, so I feel very comfortable with the previous owner.

Nautique Cons:
-Not as good looking. :-)
-Not as clean.
-Slightly worse gas mileage.
-2 Years older
Pros:
-More room
-Bigger engine.
-Better for wakeboarding
-lower hours

Basically I am looking for a solid ski boat, nothing to compete etc. I have a small family with a 6 year old and a newborn, so room I guess maybe should not be that big of a deal, but I think it would ust be nice to have the extra storage etc on the Nautique.

What do you guys think?
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       08-14-2009, 7:16 PM Reply   
drive each if you can. both sound like nice boats, but until you use each a little to see how it will work for you and what you need. no comments on here will be able to give you that info
Old    birddawg1980            08-14-2009, 7:33 PM Reply   
Hoping to do that this weekend. :-) I know the X-7 is going to be able to corner beautifully and the SAN will give me the best wake and the most room. I guess I am looking for someone to advise me not to get a direct drive unless I am going to ski/slalom often. I know the X7 has a modest ballast system built in, and should be plenty for me, at least right now. My only hesitation is the amount of room inside the boat really. If I was looking at another direct drive I would more than likely bought the MC.

I have slalomed behind old ProStar's so many times and I know that hull puts out a gorgeous wake. The problem is, I really doubt I will be doing too much of that anymore.

Hell I dont know. Someone tell me what to do. :-)
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       08-14-2009, 7:41 PM Reply   
If you plan on wakeboarding, go with the 210. If you plan on skiing, do with the X-7.

If you're not happy with that particular 210, keep looking, there are plenty available.
Old     (mvl)      Join Date: May 2004       08-14-2009, 7:44 PM Reply   
here's the deal then Mark. If you like the room and extra storage then go with teh SAN. I'm a MC guy so it is hard for me to go against them, but you know what the slalom wake is like. I learned to wakeboard behind a 190 and could do flips and spins even learned a whirly...did three in a row. Nevertheless...the vdrive boats will never slalom like a DD. If you're doing more riding than skiing...vdrive. More of everything and a little riding....up to you. if you still want to lay down some good cuts and turn some buoys...dd.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-15-2009, 6:41 AM Reply   
For the record the mc has low to average hours on it.About a hundred a year is chump change.
Old    birddawg1980            08-17-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
Well here is an update guys......

Bid is on the table....the owner had the man who is buying his house who doesnt know a thing about boats make him an offer as well. I am getting the first refusal, so I extended my offer of $25,000 same as his. He is going to sleep on it tonight to see if he will counter.

The owner of the X-7 said he doesnt think he will and not to worry about it, but this will be a looooong night for me. :-)

Been on one ski behind a mastercraft for 10 years. I always knew I would own one some day. Hopefully tomorrow is that day! Here is a pic for you guys.....Upload
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-17-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
family = V-drive
Skiing = Direct drive
Wakeboarding = Vdrive
Wakesurfing = vdrive
Storage/Space = Vdrive

you'll lose the skiing aspect but go with the SAN
Old    birddawg1980            08-17-2009, 9:12 PM Reply   
I hear ya. Thats the thing. I am big on being able to slalom. The amount of room is perfect for my small family.....me, the wife and a 6 year old. Besides that, this engine checked out perfect and obviously has been taken care of by an owner who babies his toys. That part is important to me.

There is only one part of our lake we frequent where it can get choppy and quite honestly, I probably wont be there much.

Come on! You guys are supposed to be happy for me! :-)
Old     (linder)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-17-2009, 9:15 PM Reply   
Great choice! I have loved my 2001 X9 for many years as both a ski and wakeboard boat. Just getting ready to upgrade cause the family is getting bigger. Fingers crossed for you!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-17-2009, 9:17 PM Reply   
shoot, sorry didnt read you went with the 7, my bad.

I haven't been behind the 7, but the x-9 was okay, and its a small difference.... enjoy! It is a really great looking boat.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-17-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
no comparison SAN all the way, X7 will get beat to death in the chop......but are you a rider or a skier.....thats the difference in the boats

good luck to you with your purchase
Old    birddawg1980            08-17-2009, 9:20 PM Reply   
I honestly am not even considering the wakeboard part. I guess I should some, but I would not think you could add enough ballast to this hull to get a decent wake. Maybe so?

I am a one ski guy. :-)

I am excited guys, I cant help it. I have been saving for a Mastercraft since I was 16. I am now almost 29 and finally in the position to get what I feel is a great deal on a 2005 that cosmetically is in mint condition.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       08-17-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
simple for you then, do the MC
Old    birddawg1980            08-17-2009, 10:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input guys....Cant wait until tomorrow....Wish me luck!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-18-2009, 10:46 AM Reply   
Any word? Looks awesome I hope you get it.
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-18-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
When I was on the Univ. of TN waterski/wakeboard team we used an X7 until MC upgraded us to the X-15. I loved the boat, it's too small to party but it's a really fun boat to drive and with enough weight it can throw a decent wake. Be careful though, it's eassssssy to dip the bow.
Old     (lakebum14)      Join Date: Mar 2008       08-18-2009, 11:04 AM Reply   
I have a friend who has a Prostar 197, which I think is the same hull as the x-7, we wakeboard behind it and it throws a nice peaky wake. He runs about 1800lbs in it though. Two 750 sac's on the each side, one sac in the rear storage area and some lead up front. He also wakesurfs behind his. I have a v-drive Malibu, I love it, but I don't do much skiing. Anyways it should be a great boat for you. Good luck and enjoy.
Old     (csparks13)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-19-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
If you like to ski then you don't want the SAN. You can ski behind it no prob but the Mastercraft will serve you better IMO.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-21-2009, 12:40 PM Reply   
I've actually owned both of those boats.
The x-7 was an '02, the first year it came out.
The super air was an '03.
You couldn't compare two more different boats.
If you are a hardcore waterskier, the x-7 is an awesome boat.
If you are an occasional skier and want to get into wakeboarding, and you will, the Super air is the way to go. If you have more specific questions about these boats p.m me.