Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 30, 2008

Old    xtremebordgurl            06-14-2008, 5:50 PM Reply   
OK, so I hate to be a party pooper and all, but I've been thinking about it a lot lately, especially with gas prices going up. Is anyone cutting back on their riding cause of gas? Saw that movie the 11th hour and I haven't really been able to ride since without severe guilt. poop. Anyone else feeling this? Maybe we could all band together and do something good for the environment to try and counter all the badness? Any thoughts? Curious what you all think...
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2008, 6:01 PM Reply   
I think global warming is one of the biggest Hoaxes in the history of the world and the if our government would develop an effective energy policy including drilling in the Gulf, ANWAR, and off the coast, and developing the coal and shale methods that we would not have a problem in the next 100 years. In that time hydrogen and other alternative technologies can replace the need for oil.

I don't feel any guilt for the environment. Only for the family bank account.
Old     (ncboarderboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-14-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
I personally enjoy global warming thouroughly.....longer season
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-14-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
No guilt here… I buy carbon credits!
Buhh haah hahaha!!!
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-14-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
George, I don't think its a matter of opinion... global warming is real and no scientist will deny it. I highly recomend checking out the 11th hour, you can pick it up at wal mart for $5. The reality is it's not the environment that will suffer.. it's us. It's science, not religion.

And wake boats tear through gas like crazy... it's insane. All 'beliefs' aside, it's still crazy expensive to fill the boat, is this slowing anyone down?
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2008, 6:45 PM Reply   
I just make sure I use our boat just to go riding and don't waste gas running around the lake. Well, Mr. Aslinger your opinion happens to be the opposite of the scientific community. I feel that hydrogen, electric and other alternative technologies are right now completely capable of replacing our dependance on oil as a means of transportation. It seems many of the big corporations feel the need to profit off our dependancy on oil for as long as possible before people will get totally fed up with it and really look into alternative fuel sources.

Also global warming doesn't really mean warmer weather or a longer season. It creates more extreme/unusual weather conditions and bigger storm systems. For example it snowed in spokane, WA a couple days ago. Usually at this point in the year Eastern Washington is in the 70-80F daily.
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-14-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
Apparently some scientists do...

WASHINGTON, Sept. 12 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- A new analysis of
peer-reviewed literature reveals that more than 500 scientists have
published evidence refuting at least one element of current man-made global
warming scares. More than 300 of the scientists found evidence that 1) a
natural moderate 1,500-year climate cycle has produced more than a dozen
global warmings similar to ours since the last Ice Age and/or that 2) our
Modern Warming is linked strongly to variations in the sun's irradiance.
"This data and the list of scientists make a mockery of recent claims that
a scientific consensus blames humans as the primary cause of global
temperature increases since 1850," said Hudson Institute Senior Fellow
Dennis Avery.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news/index_mail.shtml?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/09-12-2007/0004661425&EDATE=
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-14-2008, 7:23 PM Reply   
Bess, I have cut back on riding.

I currently wakeboard 1-2 days/week on the weekends, and kiteboard 2-3 days/week after work. You should pick up kiteboarding, if I could actually do some stuff on it, I think I would like it more than wakeboarding.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
How does 19000 scientist equal "no scientist deny global warming"

Several members of the Institute's staff are also well known for their work on the Petition Project, an undertaking that has obtained the signatures of more than 19,000 American scientists opposed, on scientific grounds, to the hypothesis of "human-caused global warming" and to concomitant proposals for world-wide energy taxation and rationing. The Petition Project does not utilize any Oregon Institute of Science and Medicine resources or funds. It also has no funding from energy industries or other parties with special interests in the "global warming" debate. Funding for the project comes entirely from private donations by interested individuals, primarily readers of the newsletter Access to Energy that is independently published.

http://www.oism.org/pproject/s33p37.htm.
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2008, 7:33 PM Reply   
"This data and the list of scientists make a mockery of recent claims that a scientific consensus blames humans as the primary cause of global temperature increases since 1850," said Hudson Institute Senior Fellow
Dennis Avery

Soooo, that part about "global temperature increases since 1850" must not be talking about global warming. I'm not saying that humans are the main cause if it, but I am saying it's happening. I don't really feel like global warming is our main point of concern isn't really global warming but the hole in the O-zone that may or may not repair itself.

Furthermore, that quote just says that humans are not the primary cause. That sure doesn't mean we aren't doing anything to contribute to it.

(Message edited by shredsickgnar on June 14, 2008)
Old     (shredsickgnar)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-14-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
And to end with, probably my favorite quote from a professor I had, who happens to be an environmental scientist. And I quote, "Any scientist who doesn't think global warming is happening is either mis-informed or just f*** stupid"

We'll continue this later I'm sure, I'm going out for an evening sesh.
Old     (owaved)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-14-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
Generally speaking, "global warming" in the media is synonymous with “man-made global warming”. Based on the context of the post, I think Bess’ point that “global warming is real and no scientist will deny it,” is referring to “man made” global warming. My posting was to simple show that there are scientists who refute the theory of the “man made” kind.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-14-2008, 7:59 PM Reply   
The following link is one of the most balanced scientific papers I have read on the topic of manmade global warming. Research conducted by scientist at Marshall Institute in Huntsville, AL. They see some warming of the earth, but that the hysteria produced by Al Gore and the media is creating really bad government policy and finally that any action that "man" can take will have no measurable effect on warming.

Take some time and read this. http://www.marshall.org/pdf/materials/415.pdf
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       06-14-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
Yes wakeboarding contributes to the theory of global warming, you drive a vehicle, pulling a boat, then drive a boat.

However often times in the activity you are also car pooling, and in the boat you most definitely are.

Further consider some of the activities you might be doing if not wakeboarding, then compound those activities with those you would be wakeboarding with.

You may find that looking at it this way that 3 users might have each driven their car/vehicle for an hour during that time which equals 3 vehicles at 3 hours. Or maybe the individual was at home mowing the lawn, washing their clothes, using power tools in a reno project, watching t.v. or using the computer...

All of these individual activities may in fact combine to create more of an energy usage than a day of wakeboarding, if it doesn't in fact use more, it still does use a considerable and arguably comparable amount.

So will I ever feel guilty about going out wakeboarding with a group of friends? No.

Also for any campers/cabin owners (not talking vacation houses) our overall energy imprint is far reduced compared to what we would use if we stayed home for the weekend.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-15-2008, 3:03 AM Reply   
bess,
i think it is definitely "junk science" and here is a link where 31,000 other scientists have signed on in agreement. not 3,100, but thirty-one THOUSAND. there is definitely not a consensus on this subject and this article should lay that to rest.

george is exactly right.

no guilt, just regret that i can't ride as much.
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=64734
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
I won't believe it until 100% of the world agrees that it is 100% fact and absolutely no speculation on it!

I swear that is how people act sometimes.

I bet that there are MILLIONS of people that don't believe that the Holocaust ever happened, but is that going to keep me from believing that it did ? ? ?
Hell no, thats just ridiculous, and how angry some people get when you start to talk about Global Warming I do not understand. Give me a break....

Is there anything that all scientists or people in general all agree on? I would bet that somewhere there is a scientist arguing that the world is flat or that Earth is the center of our solar system, but that doesn't mean I have to believe every wacko.... geez.

Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-15-2008, 8:21 AM Reply   
People get mad because they need to justify their wasteful habits.
Old     (rocketdogg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-15-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
First it was "global cooling", then it was "global warming", now it is the ever so convenient "climate change", make up your damn mind already. I think most people just refer to it as "the weather".

Can anyone explain to me why the planet Mars has had similar weather shifts and has also has had almost the same temperature changes as this planet since Nasa's Viking mission in the 1970's? I guess that Mars lander deal really laid down a huge carbon footprint up there.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-15-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
Thank you Tim.

Yea, and look how life is flourishing on Mars! I definitely want to follow in it's footsteps... HAHA!
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-15-2008, 11:06 AM Reply   
Hey guys...is the world still flat?
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-15-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
George- There are no room for facts in this debate. I think it highly inconsiderate of you to put a link that has contrary scientific evidence. Group think is much easier. After all, 1000 celebrities can't be wrong. Whenever there is something that requires critical thought I find it best just to wait and see what the media tells me to think because of their fair and balanced approach.

If you want to see further evidence of academic and journalistic fraud go rent "Expelled". The crime is not global warming (and yes the Earth's climate has seen change) as much as the Nazi like approach in debating important topics. If you dare express any doubt against these academic, media driven and leftist core values you are simply labeled "stupid". That is much easier than actual debating the issues. Also see "Idiocracy". It pretty much shows where we are headed with today's educational institutions and pop media.

Thanks for the link George.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-15-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
My take on global warming is this, this week the delta is almost 80 degrees, usually its alot colder...SWEET!!! And for everyone preaching global warming, sell your boat, suburban and buy a prius and a kayak, if thats more fun to you than wakeboarding and boating knock yourself out, its alot cheaper, but in my opinion alot less fun. this is the last place where people should get on their soap box about global warming and how we need to stop using fossil fuels because last time I checked wakeboarding behind a sail boat just won't fly, no pun intended
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-15-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
The process by which man made global warming happens is pretty clear and there is no reputable scientiest that would argue with it.
The extent that this process is affecting the climate is where legitimate argument falls. The industrial revolution that started in the 1800's in England was in large part possible because of a climatic shift that allowed more productive farms and so could support people moving to cities and providing the masses needed for production. Warming helped us attain the ability to warm.
The sheer number of humans on the globe and their ability to affect the climate is likely the biggest single factor in global warming. Perhaps modern medicine and people against birth control are more to blame than the entire watersport community.

Global warming is such a great theory because it can predict extreme cold, or wet, or dry, or hot. It says a higher energy climate has greater extremes. Well, I know I'm affecting the environment in many ways but I like my boat, and it makes my kids life better.
Old     (gervy)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-15-2008, 5:17 PM Reply   
Im not really sure what the deal is with global warming. But why do we have to be paying so much for gas, aren't oil companies making record profits? I only feel bad about how much money my parents spend on gas for me...why i got a job.
Old    xtremebordgurl            06-15-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
I guess my thought is, why can't we switch to using renewable resources? Our lifestyles wouldn't necessarily have to change, just the technology. Everyone would save money. Big oil is making an obscene amount of money off us though because we're so dependent on it. The technology is out there... I just wish there were a way we could yell louder than big oil companies, but they even have the gov't by the balls... I dunno I was just curious if anyone else was concerned at all or was thinking twice about it.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-15-2008, 8:41 PM Reply   
So many errors, so little time. But, for starters:

"why can't we switch to using renewable resources?"

It doesn't sound like you have an appreciation of how much energy is necessary to maintain our lifestyle. There is not enough "renewal energy" to get the job done.

"Our lifestyles wouldn't necessarily have to change." See above. Our lifestyle -- and our economy -- would be shredded.

"the technology is out there?"

What technology, exactly? And where is it, exactly?

"Big oil is making an obscene amount of money off us though because we're so dependent on it."

Oh boy. I don't think 8% profit is obscene. I also consider who receives those "obscene" profits. That would be stockholders, and largely institutional stockholders such as pension funds. Why do you want pensioners to have even less income?

Why are you jealous of people who save, invest, and receive a return? Do you sell pictures -- or hope to? Would you accept an 8% profit margin?
Old    59yroldkid            06-15-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
Notwithstanding the shrill voices of your detractors, Bess, you make some good points.
Old     (rocketdogg)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-16-2008, 5:45 AM Reply   
Just some info on who the "Big Oil" people actually are, according to Robert J. Shapiro the undersecretary of commerce for economic affairs under Bill Clinton, oil and natural gas company executives only own about 1.5% of the stock.

The data also shows that the other 98% of industry shares are owned mainy by the middle class, with the a large amount owned by large investors in the form of mutual funds, pension funds and individual retirement accounts, held by millions of Americans.

So our parents, grandparents, and even ourselves are the ones walking away with those "obscene" profits.

I also found this online with the other information:

* Almost 43 percent of oil and natural gas company shares are owned by mutual funds and asset management companies that have mutual funds. Mutual funds manage accounts for 55 million U.S. households with a median income of $68,700.
* Twenty seven percent of shares are owned by other institutional investors like pension funds. In 2004, more than 2,600 pension funds run by federal, state and local governments held almost $64 billion in shares of U.S. oil and natural gas companies. These funds represent the major retirement security for the nation's current and retired soldiers, teachers, and police and fire personnel at every level of government.
* Fourteen percent of shares are held in IRA and other personal retirement accounts. Forty five million U.S. households have IRA and other personal retirement accounts, with an average account value of just over $22,000.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-16-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
No doubt the climate is warmer and the way I look at the debate whether or not it is man made goes something like this. Most of the evidence points to some man made cause but is not 100% conclusive. The cost of incorrectly assuming there is NO man made cause is a much bigger mistake than incorrectly assuming there is a man made connection.

I still wakeboard but leverage the guilt by cutting down in other areas. Installed lots of insulation, bought more efficient heat pumps, drive a Civic with hypermiler tendencies, replacing regular bulbs with the low energy ones.... When wakeboarding, I get 4-5 GPH and try to keep the ballast to the min needed.
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-16-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
When NASA stops using billions of dollars and thousands of gallons of fuel sending the space ship into space and puts their efforts towards finding an alternative way of getting into space, I'll stop wakeboarding. Sorry if that's a crappy way to look at it, but it seems that everyone dogs on using SUVs and diesel trucks, yet its fine to shoot a giant rocket into space to build a space station that 99.999% of the population will never see. I know a lot of great things have come from the research that NASA scientists have done, how about making alternative fuel sources on of those things.
I have no more to say. Bye!
Old     (hydrophile)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-16-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
I would never feel guilt based off a politically agendicized movie. Guilt can be a strong weapon; don't fall victim.

I think we need to develop cleaner means of energy consumption. But, until then, I will burn gas to my heart's content (If I don't go broke first).
Old     (loudontn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-16-2008, 7:40 AM Reply   
Out of Snowboarding Magazine...this is how that group feels about it ;)

Upload
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-16-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Cody that's the funniest thing I've seen in a while - thanks for posting that. That guy must be hard-up for a fresh idea or something. Maybe come March I'll write an article blaming the snow blowers on the slopes for the hot-one-day-cold-the-next spells.
Old     (steedracer)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-16-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
Alan, good to see your post. Certainly miss the days of wakeboardnashville.com.

George, keep up the great fight (saw your posts in the judging system thread...wow! there's some mean people in that one). Hope to get to C'nooga soon. Let's see...how many gallons of gas will that take...and all my emissions...yikes!
Old     (nautiquerider27)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-16-2008, 6:59 PM Reply   
I remember that magazine, being a snowboarder myself, and I think that that was some kind of joke in the industry, but I could be wrong. Anyways, the amount of gas burned by wakeboarders can't really be looked down upon, since during the winter skiers and riders drive hours every weekend to the mountains. I drive just over one hour each way every single weekend during the winter and gas is a killer.
Old     (c640947)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-17-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Regardless of if global warming is caused by man or is a natural cycle, I am changing my habits. My habit changes are driven by a couple of things. Pollution and social responsibility being the main two drivers regarding the environment. I personally think the benefit of refuting global warming (blindly consume and produce excessive carbon amounts) is not worth the risk that global warming is true..... the outcome of Earth possibly turning into a Venus like planet in the future is not worth cheaper gas now.

The pollution issue is obvious. Hang out in a big city like Houston for a while. Lot of people = lots of pollution unless the people make en effort to control it. Go to a city like Vancouver and see the difference.

Social responsibility is the big one. Someone mentioned births. There is not and should not be population control, but the size of our population is growing at a fast rate. Each person consumes resources from the planet. At some point we'll be out of resources, since available resources are a fixed amount. In order to keep that from happening, we need to reduce the consumption per person and make more things out of less resources or out of different resources. Seems simple logic to me. Only other solution is colonize another planet, but I'm thinking that isn't gonna happen anytime soon...

I like the idea mentioned above about when wakeboarding with buddies for the day, yes we consume a lot of gas, but compared to what else we'd all be doing separately, maybe it isn't that bad.

And yes, I am a snowboarder too and wasn't sure if that article was a joke or not. Snowboarders spend lots in gas for cars and planes to get to resorts, possible the same net amount of fuel as wakeboarders. But they recognize that they use a lot of fuel and are a very progressive group with respect to the environment. Probably not a bad lead to follow.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-17-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
What hurts the environment more than inboard wake boats are those 2-stroke outboards and PWC's that exhaust unburned oil into our waterways. Why do you think so many mfgs. are switching to 4-stroke outboards and PWC's. Plus if I'm not mistaken they cannot be used legally in certain bodies of water like Lake Tahoe.

I don't feel guilty one bit running my clean burning v-drive with EFI and low emissions. (Even the new ones have CAT converters.)
How about the old twin engine offshore fish boats that have to go 100+ miles offshore to fish for tuna. I'm sure they don't burn very clean.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-17-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
The pollution issue is obvious. Hang out in a big city like Houston for a while. Lot of people = lots of pollution unless the people make en effort to control it. Go to a city like Vancouver and see the difference.

I'm sure altitude, wind currents, humidity, etc. make a huge difference between these 2 cities.
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-17-2008, 11:53 AM Reply   
run your air conditioner less, plant some trees and hug a hippie that will help even things out
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-17-2008, 12:29 PM Reply   
Sounds like a few "tree huggers" in the bunch.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-17-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
"Is anyone cutting back on their riding cause of gas? "

I used to complain that I didn't have anyone to ride with on the lake, and ride the cable instead. Now I've met a great couple who moved to my lake with a nice boat, and the price of gas doubles.

So I still consider the fact that my cable pass is paid for, and it takes $40 just to put 10 gallons in the boat. If I'm tired or riding crappy behind the boat I shorten my set to conserve. Used to be that no matter how bad I was riding I'd stick it out.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-17-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
There are plenty of scientists who work for oil companies will sign anything.

How can you be patriotic if you don't believe your exhause and CO2 can affect our air quality and our environment? For shame.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
hey pat,
yes, i miss wakeboardnashville bad. i still haven't rode yet this year (although it is not because of any guilt, just been busy), i am hoping to friday maybe.

wakemikey,
31,000 scientists on the payroll????? that is how many have signed on saying it is a hoax.
you should stop wakeboarding now, it is un-american.
Old     (owenitall)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-17-2008, 10:40 PM Reply   
one other thing, carbon dioxide is not a pollutant, we exhale it.

here is an article where the weather channel founder john coleman blames al gore for $4 a gallon gas.
http://www.kusi.com/weather/colemanscorner/19842304.html
Old     (weskel)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-18-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-18-2008, 9:17 AM Reply   
"here is an article where the weather channel founder john coleman blames al gore for $4 a gallon gas. "

Long article that starts off blaming Gore but never explains why. If the global warming issue leads to more fuel efficient cars and less demand for gas then that should drive the price of gas down.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-18-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
I love how all a lot of people try to do is blame someone, or bash them... That sure solves a lot
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-18-2008, 12:09 PM Reply   
Global climates cycle. The problem with global warming is there is no way to determine mans effect on this cycle. The global warming scare tactic is to scare you into changing in order to see if their theory is true. If we all go green and the climate continues to flux, then we know we arent a factor. To me, this is a stupid way to prove/disprove a theory.

Now, the orignal post by Bess didnt name global warming by name. Only mentioned that running her boat is bad for the invoronment. This cuold be simple pollution and damage to the water quality.

I now kiteboard almost exclusively. I would check it out if I were you guys. 100% green and soooooo much fun. You have no idea of the freedom it gives you. Best thing I ever did. Dont worry Leo, youll pick up the tricks once you get the kite flying down.