Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-29-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
is anyone running this setup who can give me some imput im thinking of doing this vs the three some setup? im wondering how well you can hear the mb-8's with the pro 80's. I have been told that the pro 80s overpower them.I was also wondering if you can run the mb-8's in low pass off of a five channel amp? my plan would be to run the pro'80's bridged on 1-4 and the mb-8's on the 5th mono sub channel @ 2ohms? any info would be great thanks
Old     (kana12)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-29-2009, 4:53 PM Reply   
dont know about that mbs but i have the three some and wouldnt do it any other way.. its crazy loud. it was lacking bass until i put in the xs 650s an xxx sub from wetsounds and now its loud and a really full sound.. craz loud !
Old     (tims72)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-29-2009, 5:04 PM Reply   
do you surf or wakeboard. if you surf the 80's with the mb's will give you great sound that will be real punchy. good for surfing and partying. the threesome will be alot louder and will have more highs. if you have some good subs i would run the threesome. wetsounds nailed it when the made the 485. great highs with alot of punch.
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2009, 4:16 AM Reply   
I only have a polk 12" db sub but it sounds great with the xs 650' I think Im going to stick with the threesome setup thanks
Old     (spolk69)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-30-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
i am running 2 80s and 2 mb8 with a little tunning thy sound perfect wake or surf u need alot of power to tune them right but they are awsome...
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2009, 9:05 AM Reply   
shawn what do you have running to yours? I will have 220 rms to each 80 at 4 ohms and 150rms to each mb-8 @ 2ohms
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-30-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
murph,

You cannot run the MB-8 in low pass. The MB-8 are a mid bass driver, not a subwoofer. So you want to run them on high pass only. Or full range. High pass crossed over around 50 to 80 HZ will get you the low end you are after. They are designed to roll off naturally on the high end where the horns of the 60 or 80's really shine.

You do not want a subwoofer on the tower. Bass is Omni directional. It will not have anything to load off of on the tower. So you would not gain anything except probably more perceived bass right near them. Bass travels distances different than high frequencies. So anything past 10 feet or more, with that sized driver, you would not even notice. Which is why you only want mid bass and upper frequencies.

We built the MB-8 after many requests for a wake surf type system and party cove system. Many wanted something that got loud but was not interested in something as far as 80 feet back, they wanted something with a ton of punch closer in. You can still hear the addition of the MB-8 for sure at 80 feet back as the upper mid bass and mid range will get there. But they are designed as an add on speaker for those wanting this type of set up. Since there is no horn in them, they cannot be compared to a 60 or 80 as they are not designed that way. They are an add on to a 60 or 80 for those that want a loud system for surfing and party cove.

So looks like you would need an additional amp. Using what you have now as far as the 220 x2 would work for the MB-8 or 80's and adding something like the SYN-2 at 200x2 to the other set. I also like to have the MB-8 on their own channels when paired with the 60 or 80 so you can cross them over a bit lower and gain them differently.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (muckinaround)      Join Date: Dec 2008       03-30-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
The MB-8's are a great addition to any other Wetsounds. I have a pair of 485's complimented by the MB-8's and I can't believe the sound. Can't wait for the first cove party of the year!
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-30-2009, 3:33 PM Reply   
tim thanks for the info. I have basically been putting my system together by reading your responses to everyones posts including my own. the reason I wanted to know if you could run them in low pass was to keep all of my tower speakers on one 5 channel amp.Do you see any problems with getting the threesome running 4xs 650s (in the boat) and 1 485 bridged off of 1 4 channel amp. channels 1 and two for the xs 650s 220x2 at 2ohms, 1 485 bridged on channels 3 and 4 440x1 4ohms: and running the pro 80's and my sub (in the boat) off of my 5 channel amp channels 1-4 bridged 220x2 300x1 to the sub? then just splitting the RCA's out of the tower out on the ws-420 to run to both amplifers. and do the samething for the inboat speakers out and sub. I already have these two amps is why Im asking and this would put me close to the recommended rms? thanks again
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-30-2009, 5:22 PM Reply   
murph,

Dont see any issues with that set up. You would be using your 4 ch amp in 3 ch mode. So 2 ohm stereo on chs 1-2 and 4 ohm mono on chs 3-4.

Then taking your 5 ch amp and running it in 3 ch mode as well. Bridge chs 1-4 into 2 chs, 4 0hm. And mono on the sub.

Power wise seems really good as far as that goes. So looks like you will be rocking!

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (smuurph84)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-31-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
thanks tim, I will be ordering soon and I hope to up grade the amps to wetsounds at the end of the season
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-31-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
Cool! No prob!

Tim
Wet Sounds