Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-14-2010, 9:26 PM Reply   
I have an 09 Dodge 2500.

My friend is selling his 18x9.5 American Racing Wheels. I like the styling and they were on the same truck as mine, just a few years ealier model but both 3/4 ton 4x4s. He has them going for a decent price, way cheaper than new ones and in great shape.

1st question is there a negative to going with an 18" wheel compared to another size? I have only had 15x10s in the past for 35s on another truck, not real familiar with the new available sizes and pros/cons, I plan on going with 33s and have a leveling kit, would like 35s but don't want to lift it, so I think I can only go 33s. Are 33" tires for 18s excessively expensive or anything like that??

2nd question is my truck has the TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring. Do I need to take the old sensors out from the stock wheels to get this to work with the new wheels?? And if I run the new wheels/tires at 40-50psi will that constantly set off the sensor compared to the 65psi they run at now? I have the cancel out switch but would rather not have to cancel it everytime I start to drive.

Can I get new sensors so I can sell my stock wheels and tires together, only 11k miles on them, or are the sensors super expensive? It would probably be around $100 just to get the sensors removed from all four of the stock tires and mounted when I get tires for the 18s.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by chilidog; 04-14-2010 at 9:32 PM.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-14-2010, 9:48 PM Reply   
Tires for 18" wheels, especially in the 33" range are not expensive at all. I have 22" wheels on my 2500 mega cab with 33" tires and have Nitto Terra Grapplers on it and my tires run in the low $300. It's easy to Nitto Terra Grapplers in 18" in the very low $200 range around 33" height (325/60/18).
Old     (tinytdubb)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-14-2010, 10:52 PM Reply   
You could easily stuff 35's with a leveling kit but for the driving you do I would not go over 33's. Mine were 33's on 18'' rims. Perfect in my opinion. Your best bet with the TPMS sensors is to have them moved over and I believe you can have the TPMS re calibrated. How much tread is left on the tires you might buy? If you'll be buying rubber soon I would wait til then to switch the sensors over because a tire shop would do it for free if you were purchasing tires from them. My Nitto's (which I don't recommend) were like 1300 for the set of 4. Reference http://www.cumminsforum.com/ for further detail on the TPMS and as always...tip your waitress.

*hi-jack- were in for the A's game.......Jesus hates the Yankees!
*end hi-jack
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-15-2010, 6:48 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of 35's with a leveling kit. No rubbing and plenty of room for it. This is an 05 of course, but should be similar.
Attached Images

Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-15-2010, 6:47 AM Reply   
Do a leveling kit and 35's. If you do 33's you will probably just want bigger next year. If you do it without a leveling kit it looks a bit off to me. Either way it will look good with 33's or 35's, but I would do the leveling kit (it is cheap).
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-15-2010, 7:39 AM Reply   
NIce, Great info thanks. I bought the truck with 4.10s in plans of going with bigger meats someday. My only fear of going 35s is getting my dirtbike in the back when I am home, but I can manage or may spring for a decent ramp.

These rims are all aluminum or chrome looking, I love the black/chrome look though Diggs , nice ride.

These rims I may get are w/o tires, they were going to be too expensive to get new tires so he put the stock rims and tires back on. My old tires have a ton of tread left.