Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 30, 2004

Old    wake_101            11-12-2004, 8:29 PM Reply   
oh my god i cant beleive i broke my humerus ....right at the point where i couldnt get a cast they had to cut me open and put in pins will have pics soon for ya guys... its HANUS...im out of all physical activity for 6-8 weeks then physical therapy time after that... tell me how that sounds peeps...
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-12-2004, 8:32 PM Reply   
How did you do that?
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-12-2004, 8:57 PM Reply   
A.R.,had surgeries on both my shoulders.
I can relate.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-13-2004, 7:15 AM Reply   
I go for surgery on thursday for a torn bicep tendon and a torn rotator cuff. Doc says four months rehab. I am going to try to prove him wrong. Maybe get some snowboarding in late winter. I need to be back on the water by April. Anyone else have shoulder surgery stories?
Old     (ripr)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-13-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
I'm also having rotator cuff surgery in a few weeks. At least I have all winter to rehab, but not looking forward to it.
Old    whirly            11-13-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
Well, just gotta think everything happens for a reason. heh. Had surgery on my foot, no weight for 3 months.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-13-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
A.R. Had my rotator fixed on 9/22, total tear. Not doing too bad at this point. start rehab this next week. I have pretty good range of motion now. The pain seems like its on top of the bone socket not really the muscle. I asked my DR. if i could board in a week or so, I explained that getting up was a straight pull with both hands & then i'd ride with one hand,,,Well he really didn't appreciate my thoughts of ruining his quality work. He almost used four letter words to describe his displeasure with my idea. so atleast 2 more months.
Andrew
Old     (jwb)      Join Date: Sep 2003       11-13-2004, 10:38 PM Reply   
i have a doc appt. on wendsday, then most likely surgery to repair torn ligaments and cartilege damage....i hate surgery, so any tips on how to get through it?
Old    wake_101            11-14-2004, 10:44 PM Reply   
yeah my doctor said i should be able to hit next season up but snowboarding wise im completly out .....i have 6 months rehab according to my DR......and my stupid DR cut right through all my main muscles in front like an idiot and not the ones in back......but for know i just get to sit back and enjoy vicodins for 2 more months.......
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-16-2004, 3:10 PM Reply   
If you don't overdo it,you'll be fine.
Old     (drewsy)      Join Date: Mar 2003       11-16-2004, 7:57 PM Reply   
AAAAH, Vicodin!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old     (kevin_bird)      Join Date: Dec 2002       11-16-2004, 10:24 PM Reply   
Hey im with you i have right torn rotator and left shoulder dislocates. Doc says if i get surgery i have to stay out of the water for at least a year and that i will never feel 100%. Also i have had buddies that got surgery and it actually messed up there shoulders more i guess shoulder surgery is very sketchy.
Old     (bikenxs)      Join Date: Aug 2000       11-17-2004, 6:12 AM Reply   
Surgery tomorow, I will post back. I have been told with doing the correct PT, that I will be back at firestation full time in april and on the water also. I think it has to do with strengthening the sorounding muscles to help prevent future injury. Oh and my MD did say it may take a year to be 100%.I am hopint to go do light snowboarding after january.
Old     (pimp131)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-17-2004, 9:47 AM Reply   
i snapped my femur in august. Got a metal rod and some pins and screws in my leg now. Just tried wakeboarding for the 1st time since it happen about 1 week ago. Still sore as a mofo after riding for a lil. :-( o well soon it will be better
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-17-2004, 10:20 AM Reply   
kevin. I am in the same situation. Right and left pop out of joint. Left was severely dislocated about 2 years ago. Docs wanted to do surgery, but I have too many friends who have had some bad recoveries from surgery. I opted for physical therapy and still do it. I have full range of motion in both shoulders and they are 99% to perfect now. See a PT and get specific excersises to do for your shoulder joints. It will tighten them up and you will lessen your chances of them popping out. Stay away from the knife for as long as you can.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-19-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
Home from surgery. Much more damage than we thought, however all fixed (I hope). No activety for awhile, well accept Playstation on MEDS!
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-19-2004, 7:32 PM Reply   
I has surgery on my right shoulder a year ago next week. still not 100% torn biceps tendon and
labrum, from wakeboarding! they told me 6 months
before I could get back on a board. I was like what ever! they weren't kidding. hit the rehab strong and don't go back to soon. it can tear super easy again until it has a chance to heal. good luck all of you!
Old    sbvfive            11-19-2004, 8:17 PM Reply   
I tore my labrum on July 5th of this year, when I dislocated my shoulder trying a crow mobe. The ortho explained my options, and I did my own research. From what I learned I had a 80-95% chance of re-dislocating the shoulder. With a sport like wakeboarding, it obviously helps to have confidence that your shoulders will not pop out when you try to pass the handle. My options were PT to try and tighten the shoulder back up, or surgery to repair the labrum and tighten the muscles back up. Because my dislocation was extremely bad(my arm bone came out, flipped a 180 and landed on top of the socket) everything was pretty loose in my shoulder so I opted for surgery. I had surgery on July 22nd. 3 days later I drove back to college in Florida from Connecticut. I started PT on August 31, and went 3 times a week through September and October. On October 17th, I rode at OWC. Less than 3 months after surgery and I ride at abut 85% now. My range of motion is about 95%, and strength is about 80%. My ortho told me 3 months before I can ride again, and he was right on. For my procedure standard recovery back to full is 6-8 months.

Basically the point of my rambling is that before my surgery everyone I talked to said that shoulder surgery is sketchy, the recovery takes forever, it is not worth it, etc. Getting surgery was the best decision I ever made. I know that it may not be the same for everyone, but if anyone is considering surgery, don't get scared away. Just make sure that you have a great ortho. If anyone is interested in mine and would travel to CT, PM me. He was outstanding. He works the X-Games, does pro football, and even did the surgery on Brian Deegan after his moto X crash in the winter x games a few years back.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-20-2004, 7:04 AM Reply   
Lots of aching pain now two days post op. Drugs do little more than mask the pain or make you not care. Pain pump into joint seems to do the most. I am 47 years old and I WILL BOARD THIS SUMMER. Light PT starts next week when the bandages come off. I will keep al posted.
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       11-20-2004, 4:37 PM Reply   
wait till they take the pain pump out. then you'll really feel the aching. not too much longer though. like scott said, it's worth it in the long run. the damage doesn't ever heal on it's own.
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-24-2004, 6:49 PM Reply   
They took the pump out on Monday, But recovering from the flu tuesday. No sleep tuesday. Feeling better today(wed). First day trying to go without MEDS(yuk). Surgery was quite extensive, 70% of rotator torn free. Two screws, Many stitches and now rest befor rehab. I am doing minor range of motion excersises to stay loose. I am hoping to begin full rehab by the end of Nov. SNOWBOARDING????????????? still up in the air.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-24-2004, 7:07 PM Reply   
Wow. it's actually kewl to see Im not the only one with all this pain. I have a torn rotator cuff rt shoulder. Torn Biceps tendon lft shoulder, had surgury on my rt elbow to get some osicles out (did not help) Ruptured my Patella tendon 2 years ago just getting over that one finally feeling pretty good. Ahhhhh getting old, ain't it great? I am contemplating double surgery on my shoulders but I have been able to live with this crap for a few years. The other day I was getting out of my truck and I couldnt even get the door open with my lft arm, lol it really sucks.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-25-2004, 4:07 PM Reply   
torn rotator,bicept muscle and tendants, two montrhs of pain, where i could not sleep, vicodon did not cut the pain. no pain now just rehabilitation, can't wait to snowboard and no i'm not asking for permission to do it
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-25-2004, 6:26 PM Reply   
Hey jo, did you have surgery? what are you doing for rehab?
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       11-25-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
I had surgery on my left shoulder this past July. I dislocated it overshooting a triple on my bike. I was able to wakeboard about 8 weeks later. I did however spend that eight weeks doing lots of PT. Make sure you do your PT at home every day and not just at your PT appointments. Trust me it will speed the recovery up. Shoulder is great now. A little tender but I am building up the muscles around it with alot of weight lifting.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-26-2004, 6:40 AM Reply   
jib,had surgery in september, had a rare condition where my hand swelled up and couldn't move it, worked through that, and now in pt i am lifting a 1 pound weight up to my shoulder
Old    sbvfive            11-26-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
Yeah, I forgot to mention in my last post that I did as Brad did, PT 7 days a week, not just at my appt. 3 times a week. That is definetely the most important....good post Brad!!
Old    waterdog2            11-26-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
I broke my humorous in 1981, Back then they told me that they couldent set it because it was to close to a major nerve so they put a 45 pound weight on it and made me sleep sitting upright for 4 weeks. Sounds like the docs now days are alot better. Hope yours heals streighter than mine.
Old    grampawakerider            11-27-2004, 9:39 PM Reply   
I'm going in for a labotomy this week. Doc says my brain is causing all my other problems. (Strained neck and back, 4 shoulder dislocations over the past 18 months.)
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-29-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
10 days pos op. Still cant get comfortable to sleep. Hopefully when I see my doc today he will start my PT. He has me doing pasive movement to get range of motion back. I can raise arm as high as shoulder with my other arms assistance, and I can rotate to straight out from the body at waist high. These were my goales for that first week. Still affraid to use my right arm for anything and set myself back.