Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 21, 2006

Old     (hoangl1021)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-08-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Wondering if anyone has purchased the new '06 Malibu Swing In/Away Board Racks? If so, just wanted to get an idea of what the dealer selling price should be for this item. Thanks.
Old     (iagainsti)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-08-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
I just ordered a 06 VLX with 2 racks. I believe it was close to $900
Old     (mbrown)      Join Date: May 2005       03-08-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
$600 for the racks, $400 for the slingshots (NICE makes them for the Illusion X).
Old     (festivus)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-09-2006, 3:07 PM Reply   
Any pictures???
Old     (elleduke)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-09-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
There is a couple sets on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-MALIBU-SWING-OUT-SWIVEL-2006-WAKEBOARD-RACK-L-K_W0QQitemZ7225072076QQcategoryZ15272QQrdZ1QQcmdZV iewItem
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-09-2006, 4:27 PM Reply   
Buyer beware......I've been trying to stay silent on this subject for a long time now, but I can no longer hold back (without mentioning any specific brand). FYI, we are not in the business of bashing other products.

I had the luxury of checking out some swing-away racks last month. To say the least, I wasn't impressed with the design, operation, and overall integrity of the product. Immediately, I was concerned about the safety of the people in the boat.

I want the people on Wakeworld to be aware of exactly what you are getting before dropping some serious coin on these style of racks. Please check them out in person before purchasing. Make sure they are what you want and will hold up in your normal riding conditions. Specifically, check the rigidity. I really hope that I'm wrong and maybe I just came across some incorrectly assembled/installed products. Please keep in mind that I have no data or other test to prove anything.....just one guys opinion.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-09-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
I just checked out the NICE racks at my dealer and they are awesome should have a set in acouple weeks. Their rock solid when closed and pivot out nicely. Pictures to follow
The Metcraft ones are okay but they are not real solid when closed and I think will vibrate (move) alot when loaded and traveling on the water Just my opinion.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-09-2006, 6:27 PM Reply   
Had to down size a little blurry
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-15-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
NICE has a super strong design with 2 shocks. They are very stable and when closed feel as strong as a solid noneswing rack.... my .02
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-20-2006, 7:15 PM Reply   
I just e-mailed Nice Racks today. I have their old Flamethrower and I have a problem with holding the boards in tight in the racks. The boards slide around and bang into each other. I am hoping they have a fix or the newer design is better.
Old     (denjoe)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-22-2006, 9:32 PM Reply   
Well, I talked to the guys at Nice Racks. They are really... NICE . They were more than helpful and have a great solution for me.

So, my take on Nice Racks...another GREAT company providing great products.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-22-2006, 9:41 PM Reply   
Tim B,

Do the NICE racks on the illusion pivot 180 degrees? I'm looking for racks that swing in completely so I can keep the boards in the racks when I dock in my slip
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-23-2006, 4:15 PM Reply   
I had the same problem as Joe W. with my nice racks the boards are really loose and bang into each other and no matter what I did I could not remedy the problem, it's in the design, lengh and set back of the arms. I just bought the fluid concepts racks and they hold the boards super tight without any movement, good solid design.
Old    00wakesetter            03-23-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
Fluid concepts, well fill us in! I just orderd a pair also. Whats did you see wrong?
Old     (supreme_rob)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-23-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
The problem was with Nice Racks thats why I bought the fluid concepts. The fluids are awesome, in my opinion they are the best racks on the market.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-23-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
Rob, we're glad to hear you're happy with our racks. Thanks for the props.

For the record, I have not checked out NICE racks, nor have I seen the swivel versions. I have to say they look pretty nice and the design looks to be legit.

My problem is with another swivel design. I can't honestly say who made them since there was no logo on the swivel. I have heard the same complaints from other people and they all say the same thing......the racks and mechanisms flex A LOT without much force exerted. I also heard there was a recall, so maybe the design was fixed.

Like I said before, check them out before purchasing. The tower accessory industry is fairly young and many designs aren't proven. If a tower or accessory should fail, there is a good change of someone getting injured.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-24-2006, 3:27 AM Reply   
I saw and used the original Malibu swivel racks (not sure about the manufacture), it was about the only thing I really didn't like about a 2006 VLX. They are really not sturdy and feels like they snap after a year of use/abuse. Not a MC fan, but they've got boardracks design right.
Old     (nvboarder)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-28-2006, 7:45 PM Reply   
Jeff: No they only rotate in about 90-100 degrees they will not rotate straight. The wing of the rack itself when opened is only about 1" away from the tower.
Old    waketoflats            03-28-2006, 9:26 PM Reply   
I recommend waiting till next year for the swivel racks on the 06's. They are a little flimsy due to the hinge set up. Next year is expected to have the hinges machined into the unit!!!
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-31-2006, 11:54 AM Reply   
I checked out Metcraft (Malibu OEM) and Skylon and Nice Rack. Out of all of them the Nice Rack had the best swivel setup. The design seemd strong.

That said, Titan is relaesing a swivel rack for the Illusion in April. It might be worth it to wait.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-02-2006, 11:24 AM Reply   
I got to look at a rack (it might have been a preproduction beta test).

The rack does not open enough to even be useful. It has maybe a 5 degree open at best. It hits the tower when you try and open it. In order for it to be useful, it needs about a 2 inch offset back from the mounting point. I hav included a pic of the rack I looked at. i don't know who makes it. I should add that the hardware appears secure and the rack is strong and structurally sound. Mounting needs to be offset 2 inches to be useful as a rack.
Upload

(Message edited by rson on April 02, 2006)