Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2007

Old     (joe_esq)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-30-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
From today's Sacramento Bee...interesting article for those with ballast. Something to watch. }See below.

Rougher waters for boaters?
U.S. may impose a $1,500 yearly environmental fee.
By M.S. Enkoji - Bee Staff Writer
Published 12:00 am PDT Friday, March 30, 2007
Sonny Cline pays to license his 22-foot Regal cuddy cabin boat, pays to rent a slip on the Sacramento River and pays taxes on extras like the water space he uses.

How would he feel about forking over more money for a federal environmental permit, maybe $1,500 a year by one estimate?

"Oh, you're kidding? That is insane," Cline said.

Owners of the country's 18 million recreation boats might agree.

A ruling in a federal lawsuit being heard in California could require new permits on all vessels -- possibly everything from canoes and kayaks to oceangoing cargo ships -- according to recreation boating advocates.

"There's a lot of little boats out there," said Bryan Dove, California representative of the Boat Owners Association of the United States.

"They don't have that kind of cash. This is just another financial burden on the boater," said Dove, who lives 15 miles west of Stockton.

Several environmental groups in Oregon and California have sued the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, charging that, by not enforcing the 1972 Clean Water Act properly, it failed to stop the invasion of destructive, foreign marine life, such as zebra mussels in the Great Lakes region and Chinese mitten crabs in the Delta and the Bay Area.

The invasive species hitchhike in the 21 billion gallons of ship ballast taken in at distant ports and dumped annually around U.S. shores, according to environmental groups.

Ballast is water taken on by cargo ships after they unload to balance the vessel for the journey home.

A judge in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California in September ordered the EPA to create a permit process by September 2008 for vessels that dispense effluent.

The federal agency and the shipping industry tried to confine the permit process to ocean vessels that take on ballast.

The court instead issued a sweeping order that extended to any vessel that discharges any fluid, including the typical 15-foot boat purchased for nothing more than puttering down the Delta on weekends, said Duncan Neasham, a spokesman for the National Marine Manufacturers Association in Washington, D.C.

"Effluent is anything that comes off a boat," he said. "If you spill a Coke or wash your boat down, or carry a bottle of water on your kayak, you might be included."

Permits could be as much as $1,500, he said.

The boat-industry association, which supports controlling ballast on cargo ships, filed papers last week in federal court voicing its concerns.

The industry is hoping that Congress will pass a law before the deadline that would largely exempt recreational boaters, Neasham said.

Environmental groups, including the San Francisco-based Baykeeper, argue in court documents that 10,000 marine species trek the globe via ballast, causing annual economic losses as high as $137 billion, double the yearly damage by natural disasters in the United States.

Without natural predators, uninvited species proliferate in their new homes, causing ecological imbalance and destruction, environmentalists have said.

The zebra mussels, Caspian Sea natives, have spread throughout the Great Lakes region since 1988, according to the Great Lakes Information Network.

The mussels, no larger than a fingernail, clog water pipes in power plants and compete with native species for nutrients.

Recreational boating generates only a small source of pollutants, said Margaret Podlich, vice president of government affairs for the Boat Owners Association of the United States.

Congress has never been moved to create a law that specifically targets domestic-traveling recreational vessels, meaning it should support one that excludes them, Podlich said.

Fears of burdensome fees and cumbersome government permits imposed on recreational vehicles are unfounded, said Deb Self, executive director of Baykeeper, a citizens advocacy group that protects waterways in the Delta and Bay Area.

"We have no way of knowing what the permit process will be," she said.

The initiator of the lawsuit, Northwest Environmental Advocates, believes that the thrust of the regulations will focus on oceangoing vessels, the crux of the problem, said Nina Bell, executive director of the Portland-based group.

"We're concerned, too," she said of the domestic boating industry's concerns.

There are plenty of boats that could be affected, said Dove, the boat owners association representative.

In the Delta, wakeboard boats take in water, bass boats store water onboard for the fish, and larger recreation boats discharge "gray" water and bilge water, which would probably need a permit, he said.

The jokes about boaters owning a bottomless pit are more truth than not, said an owner of two vintage boats.

"This is ridiculous. Everyone thinks boaters are zillionaires," said Larry Hazelett, a Sacramento retired mechanical contractor who restores wooden boats.

Rising fuel prices, fees, insurance and marina rent are already driving people from the sport, he said.

A yacht broker friend, he said, has double the inventory he normally has.

"You're only going to spend so much money doing this or doing that," said Hazelett, 65.

Cline said he considers his boat a family activity, one that is increasingly burdensome.

"It's already a relatively expensive hobby," said Cline, 43.

"You know with housing prices going up, and gas prices, you start adding all these things up and it takes a lot of the joy out of living here."
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-30-2007, 11:13 AM Reply   
I like the idea for those who operate the large ships, and use ballast for balance. if you are bringing water from one region and dumping it in another region, you could be dumping something like the zebra mussels or something else. the fees could help offset some of the money that is needed to battle these creatures. however, the fees should be much higher. as far as charging recreational boaters. that is just nonsense.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-30-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Joe....look at the WARNING Global warming will ruin wakeboarding post. this is not new news to me unfortunately. Look above in your article about the portion with Great Lakes. I live in Michigan...this crap is very common for mariner's here in the mitten state. It is all bull. We are Cating our boats this year...by the looks of things. Further robbing HP and fuel. Nuts! Copy this text over onto the Global warming thread...you will turn some heads there too.
Old    bocephus            03-30-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
Hey Joe,
Do you read www.hotboat.com too?
Old     (joe_esq)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-30-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
Bocephus - I have never even heard of hotboat.com before until you posted that!! I clicked on the link you had and saw that someone posted one minute later than me. Not me, but maybe someone on WW also? We must all be bored at work at the same exact time.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-30-2007, 11:30 AM Reply   
Only in California..
Old    murrayair            03-30-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
"Everyone thinks boaters are zillionaires."

So true. Govn't needs some extra money? Why not get it from those "rich" boaters.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-30-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
Pierce, please reread. Federal = only in the USA...
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-30-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
I love how CA is its own country...untell you read the fine print.
Old     (jsanders)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-30-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
Here is a post to the article. Joe not sure if you transcribed by hand the whole thing. In future you can just go to sac bee.com they keep articles in there for a long time.

http://www.sacbee.com/101/story/146746.html

It says that the max is $1500. I have the utmost confidence in the lawmaker in Washington not to screw us all like that.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       03-30-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
That law does not even make sense. It that is the worry they should make a law that when your boat leaves the water you have to empty all water from your boat before you put it on the trailer. I can see the law working for commercial ships but for trailerable boats there is an easier fix.

Who wants to tow their boat with water weight in it anyways?
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-30-2007, 1:32 PM Reply   
What exactly is that 1500 going to be used for...the artical didn't say.

"The initiator of the lawsuit, Northwest Environmental Advocates, believes that the thrust of the regulations will focus on oceangoing vessels, the crux of the problem, said Nina Bell, executive director of the Portland-based group.

"We're concerned, too," she said of the domestic boating industry's concerns. "

This should open people's eyes to the unintended consequences of filling lawsuits...but I doubt it will.
Old     (joe_esq)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-30-2007, 2:20 PM Reply   
I work at a law firm in Sac that does a large amount of water law so this lawsuit came across our inboxes as part of our daily updates. When this lawsuit was originally filed last year, a couple of us in the office joked about how "ballast" would technically include wakeboats (I know, I know, darn lawyers)...of course never thinking this proposed permit would actually apply to recreational vessels. Then, I saw the article this morning and couldn't help but roll my eyes.

Jeremy - no worries, it was just a cut and paste from the printable view of the article. I was going to do the link, but most people need to register and log in to view it.

If you do have access to the link, read the "reader's comments" at the bottom for more fun.
Old     (roswell_wakeair)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-30-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
I guess thats why they say a boat stands for B-ring O-n A-nother T-housand}
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-31-2007, 8:46 PM Reply   
Anyone buying gas for a boat with a lot of ballast is already paying a lot of tax.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-31-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
...it ain't "bring on another thousand" It's "Break Out Another Thou". "Bring On"... that just sounds lame, kinda like this potential "ballast tax".
Old     (ballsdeep)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-16-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
its "bust out another thousand"