Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2009

Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-15-2009, 1:08 PM Reply   
Andy? I know you're in for a pull...

Tablerock Lake, MO!

Upload

(please no one post the garbled hand picture...)
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-15-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
HOLY Crap is that an I/O?????? WILD!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       07-15-2009, 1:16 PM Reply   
It's so much more fun when you can die!!
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-15-2009, 1:19 PM Reply   
hes pretty far back... is there any risk there?
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       07-15-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
uh ya he's not farr from the prop really. When i wakesurfed i usually feel forward.

Let alone all the people looking back inlc the driver not watching were their going.
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-15-2009, 1:56 PM Reply   
wow...
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-15-2009, 2:12 PM Reply   
ive surfed behind out I/o we have a huge swim deck. it goes way over the prop. plus out surf wake is really long, you ride way the hell back. Most I/o's it would be really dumb to surf behind, but it depends alot on the boat. and look at that picture up above. even if he caught an edge and flew forward. he still wouldnt hit the boat
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-15-2009, 2:18 PM Reply   
I've seen ads in the back of Wakesurfing magazine for a cage that you can put around your outboard prop to make it safe to surf behind an I/O. Who knows.... maybe they have one of those on theirs? I doubt it, but it's possible.
Old     (jajeh5)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-15-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
Look at the dude sitting on the back. Maybe I am blind but is that him laying there? Is that his knees?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-15-2009, 2:30 PM Reply   
richard, ive seen that to. it looks really cheap. anything over like 30HP looks like it would blow it offf. and yes the guy on the back is an idiot. haha
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       07-15-2009, 3:51 PM Reply   
You know the sad thing is that when somebody gets chopped up, new laws and stickers will be mandated. I am sure it will be something like "no rider may surf the wake or be towed at less than 25'"
Maybe we should just enact the new law now on Sammamish to be ahead of the curve
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-15-2009, 4:15 PM Reply   
Yeah, he's waiting to slide of the sun deck and get his sausage ground a little more
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-16-2009, 9:07 AM Reply   
eff that ish!
Old    mendo247            07-16-2009, 10:11 AM Reply   
Crazy! I dont care how far back you are. Lets say the driver has to pull up on the throttle and you are looking down while surfing. He speeds back up and your in the prop. Surfing behind an I/O is an accident waiting to happen.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-16-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
Im gonna say this only once and get bashed but I dont care. Surfing is for the ocean go there if you want to surf. It looks very boring to watch and I can't really see how it can be fun to even do. Ok Now Bash
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-16-2009, 6:38 PM Reply   
IMHO its very fun rick! After you get super tired its fun to take a wakeboard break and just surf a little. But i dont know about surfing with an I/O. I have seen pics of davids sea ray and their boat actually looks safe to surf though
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-16-2009, 6:45 PM Reply   
I'd hate to go out the front behind an I/O... head first into the prop would not be fun. I don't surf behind mine, no way, don't care how big the swim step is.

I don't know if wakesurf boards have less rocker than ocean boards (depending on the board obviously) but if I'm too far forward on my board it basically stops and I go over the front on a wave. If you're 6ft tall and 6ft back from the boat you're gonna get blended for sure if you bail out the front.
Old    dperizzolo            07-16-2009, 6:49 PM Reply   
I don't care how far the swim platform goes back, that is super dangerous. Surfing is fun, but it is not worth risking my life and limbs.
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-16-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
yeah.....on second thought....i dont know if i would surf behind any I/O i just went and dug up some pics from some I/O pride forum to look at some I/Os that people say they surf behind....they are crazy. But who cares how many forums has this been on?????
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-16-2009, 7:06 PM Reply   
I don't know why uou guys are freaking out. He's obviously safe. He's even wearing a lifejacket! What a winner!
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-17-2009, 5:07 AM Reply   
He's behind a Cobalt so it's all good....
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-17-2009, 7:26 AM Reply   
adding consiquence. thats what its all about. its kinda like putting stairs on a rail in the middle of a mountain for snowboarding. maybe it makes you better..ha prob not
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-17-2009, 7:46 AM Reply   
hey man that ME!! hahaaa just kidding, would never do that
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-17-2009, 8:09 AM Reply   
Rick if you ever went surfing in the ocean you would realize how hard it truly is and would appreciate it a lot more, I use to think the same way you did till I went on a few surf trips, Nothing but respect for surfers way more intense than anything in wakeboarding
Old     (ricabernathy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-17-2009, 8:17 AM Reply   
no man i ment behind an i/o.. i wakesurf and have been surfing several times in hawaii, its awesome nothin like mother nature givin u afree ride.. as a matter of fact im flying out this afternoon to go surfing
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-17-2009, 8:57 AM Reply   
Contender for the Darwin award
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-17-2009, 9:30 AM Reply   
Surprised nobody noticed he's so far back because he's still holding the rope.I'd like to see how far back he is without the rope.Swim platforms are not going to stop you underwater.It's not the swim platform on inboards that makes them safer,it's the fact that the prop is 1.5 to 2 feet under the boat with a rudder blocking it and sometimes a Fresh Air Exhaust also.I work on a 2007 Sea Ray 220 SEL and unless they were changed since 2005 it doesn't look too safe to surf to me.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2009, 10:04 AM Reply   
Ok, hold up. I know surfing behind an I/O seems stupid, but let's hear some facts. Has anyone ever heard of someone going into the prop while surfing? With the amount of water force that prop is putting out, could you even get close to the prop? I think the only way you might get caught in the prop is if you fell in the tiny area between the transom and the prop so that you would get sucked in. Is that even possible? I'm just looking for facts and not opinions.

BTW, I surf behind an Epic, so I'm not trying to justify I/O surfing. I just want facts.
Old    mendo247            07-17-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have a feeling I know what pic is gonna be posted after tunemans question lol
Old     (txwakerider)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-17-2009, 11:00 AM Reply   
Ok good, surfing behind an I/O is kinda dumb and dangerous (but so is a lot of stuff we do as wakeboarders), but true surfing is the beez neez...and i am very jealous your flying out today to go surf
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-17-2009, 11:11 AM Reply   
Ok, Honestly, the guy should be fine. He's a solid 8 feet out. Even if he falls forward, the boat is still moving forward.. Right? So it's moving away from him as he's moving towards it so he's really in no danger.. And when an I/O's prop is down it's not like it sticks out 5 feet.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
Richard, that classic pic you're referring to is from a machining accident. I have yet to hear of anyone getting caught in the prop from wakesurfing. Has it happened?
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-17-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
he is more then 8 feet back. say that guy is 6 feet tall. use that as a scale in the picture. that makes him about 14 to 15 feet back
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-17-2009, 1:21 PM Reply   
Does it appear to you that he's not holding the handle? Maybe he's riding an O'Brien Jimmy Jam where the rope is attached to the board.

Upload
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-17-2009, 1:28 PM Reply   
I say someone on the 4th of July weekend wakesurfing on an outboard... a little fishing boat.... it was insane.
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       07-17-2009, 1:55 PM Reply   
My buddies parents have a 24' Sea Ray with the extended platform. We went down to Powell and his sister and boyfriend were already there, and told us they had tried to surf but couldn't get the wake right. They had asked me for my help, and I told them that there was no way in hell that I would have any part of trying to surf behind an i/o. They tried to use the justification of the swim platform as protection. My response was to hang on to the swim platform and feel for the prop with their feet. Once they realized that it was only about 10-12" from the swim platform they saw my point of view. That, and the fact that there are two counter rotating props made them see the light (at least I hope and they weren't just saying it around me). I have slapped the transom on my buddies Maristar with my head falling forward and I don't want to be anywhere near a prop falling. Just my $.02 but there should be absolutely no justification for trying to surf behind an i/o, like I said just hold on to the swim platform and feel for the prop with your feet, you'll be surprised where it actually is.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-17-2009, 6:26 PM Reply   
Wakesurfing and I/Os with platforms.
When an inboard boat is set up properly, the swim platform on the surf side is at or under water level. When you surf into the boat (and you WILL) you end up on top of the swim platform. Its a cool trick when you do it on purpose or in cold water.

On most (if not all) I/Os, the swim platform is never in the water; so when you surf into the boat, the board will go under the platform and place the rider in grave danger.

BTW, I'm glad the "garbled hand picture" has gotten the visibility it deserves. When an I/O idiot manages to lose a foot or whatever we will see all wakesurfing outlawed.

Larry Mann
HowToWakeSurf.com
Fresh Air Exhaust
asylum Boardz
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
You will have a tough time convincing me that surfing behind an I/O is some how more dangerous than what goes on in this vid.

I find it ironic that shredding without a lid and jacket around all kinds of concrete and rock is celebrated as Bad A, but surfing behind an I/O is considered stupid dangerous. A mangled head is a lot worse than a mangled appendage. I guess most of us can be smug with our inbords. Not condoning either, both are stupid risks IMO.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2009, 11:12 AM Reply   
key difference: those are professional athletes, who are basically signing their safety away in order to get paychecks/get sponsorships/etc. the guy surfing wasn't a professional athlete, but instead a misled consumer surfing under the premise that what he is doing is perfectly safe.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-20-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Riding around rock, concrete, rails, etc. without a lid is not limited to professionals though. There are no shortage of amateurs doing the same.

Not knocking the riding BTW, just the needless risks.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2009, 11:41 AM Reply   
it's a good point. I would probably post a picture of that with little arrows if I saw it as well. Pretty surprised they didn't have any helmets on in that vid you posted, actually.
Old     (niap101)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-20-2009, 7:58 PM Reply   
Cool video and has absolutely nothing to do with wakesurfing or even boats; but nice try for trying to divert attention away from I/O wanna be surfing idiots.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-20-2009, 8:58 PM Reply   
^^ Don't think it has much to do with pros either.

Interestingly enough when you Image search Google "wakesurf accident" you don't see anything nasty. Hopefully that won't change, but with people surfing in such an unsafe way it probably will eventually.

(Message edited by jtnz on July 20, 2009)
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2009, 10:42 AM Reply   
Well, still no concrete proof that wakesurfing behind an I/O is dangerous. Maybe someone with an I/O should conduct an experiment. Jam a stick down to a spinning prop and see if it catches. My guess is that the propelled water won't let you near the prop.
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-21-2009, 10:53 AM Reply   
Ya, 14-15 feet is closer than my 8 foot guess. ha. This guys really in no danger unless he did something before to the driver and the driver wants revenge. when you fall the boat does not instantly stop moving so as you fall forward the boat continues forward lessening the risk.

-Tuneman - "Does it appear to you that he's not holding the handle?" He's not, most wakesurfers I watch don't hold the handle.. It's just for starting..
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-23-2009, 7:30 AM Reply   
Ha! Good one...you got me there
Old     (cdhayes2)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-24-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
Tuneman- Nice profile pic! Haven't seen somebody kneeboard, especially like that, in a long time!