Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-23-2016, 12:59 PM Reply   
I had some engine trouble on a recent boating trip, but thankfully I was able to sort it out and wanted to share the fix in case this could help someone else down the road.

I've got a 2002 Calabria Pro-V which has the Mercruiser 350 Mag MPI Tow Sports Engine

After a long day of surfing, we were slowly motoring back to our slip at the resort's marina when, at low speed, the engine beeped twice, and kept beeping twice every minute. Oil pressure was fine, and engine temperature was fine as well, so I was without ideas as to what it could be.

The engine definitely wasn't in "cripple mode", as I could still open up the throttle and get it on plane and beyond, but the warning sound persisted until we docked the boat and shut it down. At that point, the crew was wiped, and we headed up to the house hoping all would be well in the morning.

Of course, I know how that usually goes, and sure enough, when I cranked the starter, the engine sputtered, held an idle, but it was weak sounding like it wanted to quit, and it kept beeping twice a minute. At this point, I knew we weren't going to be able to surf that day, but I did need to take the boat out to meet someone, so I hoped a low speed cruise wouldn't be a problem. When I slid it into gear, the engine paused before engaging, but seemed to run fine in gear. Then, when I went back to neutral, it died just about every time. So, to get back to the marina, I had to start the engine, and quickly get it into gear. Then I pulled it off the water to work on it.

Diagnosis, and solution: I must have spent hours searching forums all over and reading threads on similar problems, and eventually I figured out that the Idle Air Control Valve must have failed on me. Luckily, it's an easily obtainable part from an auto store, and I found the replacement for about $55 an hour's drive away. (And just FYI, the same identical part at a marine store was more than twice the price). At the same time you purchase the IAC, you will also need to buy the gasket that fits underneath, as well as the IAC muffler, which is just a little rectangular piece of foam (see picture). I had to cut the gasket openings bigger to properly fit the space, but other than that, it was fine.

Replacement was dead easy. Just have to remove the engine cover and flame arrestor, which will give you access to the faulty IAC, which will be painted black like everything else. After removing the bolts and gasket, detach the wiring, then replace with the new one and re-attach. You can see in my picture below the new one, which is silver. The old IAC muffler can be found inside of the air intake in a small slot, and you'll probably want some needle nose pliers to grab it. You can see the grungy old one, and the new one I replaced it with by just shoving it in there.

Once everything was back together, I took the boat back to the launch and fired it up with fingers crossed. It turned over immediately, and idled like a champ. Problem solved, and I've been using it heavily for the last month without any further issues. Hope nobody else has to deal with this, but if you do, it's one of the easiest fixes on a boat you could hope for.

Here are the part numbers:
- Idle Air Control Valve - Mercruiser 862998
- Gasket - Mercruiser 27-863112 1
- IAC Muffler filter - Mercruiser 35-863829 3
Old     (seadawg)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-23-2016, 1:00 PM Reply   
Here are the pics I referred to above (forgot to attach)
Attached Images

Old     (tsanfilippo)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-15-2018, 11:42 AM Reply   
So this is the second time the alarm has gone off on my 1st replacement IAC, that I replaced a few years ago.
I hit the AIC valve a couple times with a screw driver or handle of my wake board rope and it goes away. But the next day it comes back.(on a 2 day weekend trip)
Just wondering if anyone has just replaced the IAC Muffler filter - Mercruiser 35-863829 3 ????
Just looked at mine, that I also replaced when I replaced the IAC a few years ago, and it is about as dirty as the picture above.
Just wondering if the filter could make the valve go off????