Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2008, 5:55 PM Reply   
With all the problems with the Zebra mussels going on in the Bay Area, I wanted to make sure to get my boat as dry as possible for when I want to go to Anderson.

I opened the compartment for where my center ballast is, moved the sac because I wanted to see if I had water under it and I had about 4 inches worth of water, I assume this is because I dipped the nose last time out. Now my boat is backed into my driveway so the water moves to the front of the boat and I didn't see a center plug that I could pull to drain it out the bottom. I wanted to pull the front of the sac out so I could get in there and operate much easier to try to get this water out. The sac however seems to be mounted in there so it can't be taken out. Is this the case, and is there anyone out there who knows of a good way to get this water out of the center compartment? This time I had to go in the with sponges to soak up the water and put it in a bucket to get it out. I bet there is a much easier way to do this and I am just and idiot.

Thanks for any help
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-29-2008, 6:00 PM Reply   
I use a wet dry vac in my Sanger. Sucks it all out no problem.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       05-29-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
I unfortunately 2nd the wet / dry vac, I don't like having to do it but Rich is right.
The next time your filling your front ballast, pull the front cupholders, they'll access the hole that the front ballast fill goes thru, stick your hand thru and see if it's leaking...mine was.
Swampin the front'll do it too though!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
I too use a shop vac if it's necessary.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-29-2008, 8:38 PM Reply   
i would use the vac also with my old v215. yu know there is a center plug in there right? reach in there and pull that sucker out and next time your on the ramp let all that water run out and then bilge it bra. the seperates the mid ship from the rear half. look behid the pump you will see it. the point of it is to keep water isolated it will slow the sinking process i think it might be a CG thing not sure.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2008, 8:57 PM Reply   
Bryan, I did see a plug that went from the front compartment to the rear compartment, but I didn't see a plug in it. Would the plug be in the front compartment or in the rear?

I should just park it on the ramp, let it drain to the back, then bilge it out eh. I guess I will try that before going for a shop vac. I will also check for the leak.

Thanks a bunch guys
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-29-2008, 9:02 PM Reply   
if you reach down in the ski locker, look toward the back of the boat. is that plug in? pull it, its a quarter turn plug, like a clamp arm on it. if its out and there is just a hole there well then thats it it will flow to the bilge now.
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-29-2008, 9:07 PM Reply   
off topic a little but my orig plug broke off the chain and doesnt get tight anymore so i starting using the one that goes in the front bilge area the one with the clamp deal on it, is that ok or am i asking for trouble???
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-29-2008, 9:13 PM Reply   
im going to say your flirting with danger buddy. my plug is a threaded bolt. i put it back in with lock tight everytime. that clamp is a disaster waiting to happen. i think you should feel lucky and fork out the coin for the propper plug
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       05-29-2008, 9:22 PM Reply   
its super tight in there, but thanks for the opinion. is there a way to get the orig plug to stay in and tighten up. I dont know how the threaded bolt part actually works, do you put lock tight as in the glue type stuff on it
Old     (tx_cook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-29-2008, 10:48 PM Reply   
there is a way to get it out but its a major pita. i did it once to clean the bag and the rest of that area. as said before, there is a hole that goes from that compartment, the one where the bag sits, to the rear area where the bilge and stuff are. once you get the bag out, i just hosed out the compartment and let it flow out to back. get the little that remains with a wet/dry vac.

i dont remember exactly how i got the bag out but it is possible. this is a little ruff as its been over a year since i did it but, there are two pumps when you open up the locker. i took off the rear connection on the bag by unscrewing it (might have to disconnect the hose or disconnect the pump?). then for the connection that ran to the front, i took the hosing off the pump only, leaving it connected to the front part of the bag. the hose fishes up under the where drivers feet are and back down under to the right side seating in the bow. the cover separating the drivers feet area from the front seating is screwed on along with velcro. i took it off for convenience. but anyway, i pulled the bag out with the front hose still connected to it. its the only way i could see that they got it in there, cuz theres no way you can get up in there and connect it since it goes clear to the front bow seat. again i cant remember all the details, but this is the just of it. disconnect the back from the bag and the front hose from the pump. pull out the bag with the front hose still attached.

(i hope this makes sense?)
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-30-2008, 1:39 AM Reply   
tx cook is correct about removal of the bag. Mine had a little leak around the threads of the empty pump where it connects to the bag. Factory uses silicone on the threads to seal them and inevitably it fails. I put like 10 wraps of teflon tape and reinstalled it. By the way removing the hose from the pump housing is a nightmare!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-30-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
I've removed the center plug but it doesn't sit right on the bottom of the boat and with the drop in the bow up front I've never gotten all the water out of the front. The shop vac is the ticket. Takes 30 seconds to turn it on and shove it in there.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-30-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
This is all very good stuff guys, thanks a bunch.

One more question. In order to get cleared for inspection, I need the sac to be absolutely empty, but when I move it around I can hear some water in it. How do I go about getting that small amount of water out? Do you think I have to pull the bag all the way out?
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-30-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Rick,

I use the shop vac method also. I try to drain on the ramp if not busy to get the majority of it out. I have also unhooked the boat and used a floor jack under the wheel jack to raise the nose even higher while at home and let it drain. I seem to always have water in the boat. No big deal for the Delta, but I am going to spend some time before I head up to Trinity just to be safe.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-30-2008, 11:24 AM Reply   
nsolis220, my chain broke too but I'm still able to get the plug tight. I spin the little handles until it just fit's in the hole then after I plug it I spin it tight from there. It seems to need some resistance in order for it to work properly.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-01-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
This is a little creepy, it's like everybody's talking about my boat...I use the fatter plug in the back of my boat because the original one turns for day's without getting tight...of course the chain broke too...my front ballast bag and locker are my least favorite of anything in my boat with it's horrible accessibility... my front plug has never been in since I bought it...the front has never successfully drained to the back...and I'll never pass Anderson's test because my boat drips, leaks, and drains all the time (whenever moved) Rick, good luck getting the front bag or rear tanks empty!
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-02-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
Am I reading it that some of you hook your wet dry vac up to your ballast bag to suck out the water, or is that just for the ski locker?
Old     (tx_cook)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-02-2008, 5:16 PM Reply   
i did it just for the locker. had to take the rear pump off to completely empty the bag.
Old     (jdub)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-02-2008, 11:05 PM Reply   
Just the carpeted floor locker part.