Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       12-29-2011, 9:55 AM Reply   
I've had a Harmony 890 pro for about 2 years now. About a yr ago i dropped it on the corner of a table and cracked the screen. didn't break the lcd, just the lens. anyway, before then and worse since then, the screen would go blank and if i took the battery out and let it "reboot" it would come back. recently, it went blank for good. I may be able to fix it by updating the firmware (according to a logitech discussion board).

Having said that, i've never been too happy w/the remote. the ergonomics suck. buttons are too small, and you can ONLY program it (and the "IR Blaster") via pc. this is a pain in the azz to maintain the macros when you swap out/upgrade equipment.

I have been looking around and don't really see anything else that i like though. I have to have both IR and RF for my system. and i'd like to get something a little more cool looking than a traditional "remote" shaped remote.

Logitech has come out w/a harmony 1100 that i think will do everything that i need, and has a cooler look to it... but i haven't been too thrilled about my current logitech....

Does anyone have any suggestions? what about outside-the-box thinking like iPhone/iPad/iPod integration or something like the Logitech Link which connects to your wifi ntwk and converts the signal to IR for your devices. But the reviews are mixed on this (and again, it's logitech... do they corner this market or what?). Also, i'm not sure i want to have to use the ipad for changing channels, etc. our HT room is a dedicated room that's not our primary "TV" room. so if someone is watching a movie, then they'll have to hog the ipod.

Also what would be cool is a remote w/a display that can provide feedback on the status of certain things like volume, channel, station etc... because i may have music on upstairs, but want to control it from downstairs. I can do this w/the RF to IR functionality currently w/my harmony 890, but if i want to change channels, stations etc, i have to guess which one to go to.
Old     (Shooter)      Join Date: Apr 2010       12-29-2011, 2:08 PM Reply   
Sky is the limit for remotes, but so will your budget..Logitech is low budget and you get what you pay for.

I have had a Nevo for a few years and love it. They are expensive, but they will do just about anything you can think of as long as you can program it or pay someone to program it for you.

I purchase my Nevo on eBay and programmed it myself. Just a warning that you won't get any support from the manufacture if you're a DIY guy and custom installers (CI) make these type of remotes very expensive.

Check out www.remotecentral.com
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       12-30-2011, 8:24 PM Reply   
From what I understand, Nevo's aren't being made any longer. They were a great remote.
Universal Remote Control is my line of choice, but you'll need to be a custom installer to get their good stuff. There is a learning curve on their programming.

No one has the ability to relay the equipment status back to the remote, as of yet. I'm sure we'll be there soon with new communications protocols that are rolling out.

Touchscreen setups like the iPad are great, but I only install them in setups that are NOT used for channel surfing, like theater rooms. They are great for whole house setups too, as I like the integration with Apple Airports for Multi Room music. I prefer to use a one handed, hard button remote for channel surfing. Less effort involved.