Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-14-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
is anyone else sick of hearing about this guy? feel good story of the year, blah, blah, blah? give me a break. everyone is making a big deal about a junkie bum "being discovered". are you kidding me? he was already a radio personality before he decided to become a junkie. he has 9 kids which he has not supported, meanwhile his ex wife was collecting welfare? is anyone else hoping the government starts garnishing his wages to collect some of his new found money? I know there is some irony about me being sick of hearing about this guy, and then posting a thread about him, but still. I just wish everyone would stop gushing about this clown.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-14-2011, 2:50 PM Reply   
There are lots of good people out there that are not junkies that need to find work to take care of there families. Were is their break?
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-14-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
I wondered if there were some skeletons in his closet. However, anyone that can come from the bottom and recover is okay in my book. His first step should be taking care of his kids though. As far as his wife, with 9 kids being on welfare, what's the issue with that? Did she have a ton of royalties in the bank that she was living off of, but rec'd support anyway? He was a deadbeat dad and didn't pay his child support. What was she supposed to do? Having 9 kids, today, was irresponsible; or a good baseline for a good reality show. hmmmmm.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       01-15-2011, 7:09 AM Reply   
He's heading to rehab, his earning potential may not be there for awhile.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-16-2011, 11:07 PM Reply   
Everyone desereves a second chance. He seems like a very humble guy. We have all strugled here and there at times. He said he prayed a lot and maybe this is God answering his prayers. His life was turned upsaide down in one day. I'd like to see him make it good.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2011, 7:04 PM Reply   
I was talking with friends when this story broke. The bottom line, you are homeless for a reason. Dependancy, mental illness, or lack of wanting to bust your ass. I told my friends at the time, this story would crash hard. And it will.
Voice or not, there is a reason the guy is panhandling. Second chance, sure! I just hope he uses the second chance to help his kids, and the many others who have grown up without fathers.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-17-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
It's sad this guy is on my TV so much. How bout some face time for the ballplayer, and true american hero....the REAL Ted Williams. How many people can you name that served in two wars, and won two triple crowns?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       01-17-2011, 8:27 PM Reply   
wait, you mean the guy whose severed head is cryogenically frozen?
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-17-2011, 9:53 PM Reply   
^^^^
such a shame that most in our generation will remember him for this, and not what Jeff Moore said.

but in regards to the bum, from what I understand, he was not taking care of his kids long before he became a junkie on the street.
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-18-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
I wondered if there were some skeletons in his closet. However, anyone that can come from the bottom and recover is okay in my book.
Recover? I don't think he's recovered other than that he's admitting himself to rehab and is TRYING to recover. This guy getting lucky because a radio personality posted a video of him on the internet and it went viral does not constitute this guy "recovering". (by the way wakeboardingdad, thats not a shot at you, just a comment on the situation in general).

The other thing that bothers me are people that say "he deserves it!". How? He's been a deadbeat dad to 9 kids, has several theft and fraud charges against him, and was (possibly still is) an alcoholic and drug addict. What about the people out there that have raised their children and families and are jobless because of bad luck/company lay-offs? To me, they're the ones that "Deserve it". I just don't know if we're going to see this with a storybook ending...being handed as much money as Ted has been, I think it's going to take some strong will-power for him to not let it influence him in the wrong way. If it does end well and he continues to be a success and puts his past behind him, all the power to him. I have no problem with that. I guess I more or less have a problem with the way the media and the public in general is treating this as a "from rags to riches, feel good" story. Truth is, the guy got lucky someone stuck a video camera in front of his face.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       01-18-2011, 9:04 AM Reply   
It's okay Ben. I didn't take it as a shot. I will admit that I learned, after I posted, that he was going to rehab. I thought he said he had been clean for 2 years???
Old     (benbuchholz)      Join Date: Oct 2009       01-18-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
That's what he originally said I believe. And then the whole rehab thing surfaced along with a complaint just in June of this year where police were involved, regarding Ted and a female loitering and swearing/hassling tenants of a complex. People also said they would see the woman leave and come back in several different cars throughout the day. So he lied about being clean, to me that just screams that he's not recovered and still needs help. Media perception aside, I hope he does recover and turns his life around. THEN it would be a feel good story.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-18-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
When I watched this guy on the Today show, right after he was discovered, I noticed he was clucking then. I even said something to my wife. He kept saying that he had been clean for 2 years but his behavior and manerisms didn't evidence that. I'm sure Kraft is pretty pissed already, they signed him to do voice overs for their macaroni. I really hope that he does get clean and sober and when he's ready and can handle it, gets a job in Radio.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-20-2011, 10:08 AM Reply   
Why do stupid people have the Most Kid's This guy has 9 Kid's????

Idiocracy
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-26-2011, 3:38 PM Reply   
and wouldn't you know it, already left rehab against the advice of his doctors. big effing surprise there. any other companies want to throw thousands of more dollars at this junkie??