Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-30-2013, 9:24 AM Reply   
Getting really tired of high PG&E bills and constant rate increases so I'm thinking of installing solar panels. Seems like the costs have come down somewhat. Can someone recommend a company that installs panels in Placer County. Also if anyone has gone this route how much did the install cost and how much are you saving per month. Any other advice is appreciated regarding this topic. Probably will get 3-4 quotes and see what they come in at. Thanks
Old     (load)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-30-2013, 9:58 AM Reply   
I went with a SunRun lease deal, overall have had no issues at all. Got rebates that paid for the $3000 down I needed to lock my lease rate for the 20 years. Monthly lease rate + additional electricity needed, still saving an average of $60-70 a month at current rates. Savining should increase as the years go by and PGE rates increase. Been online since April of last year.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-30-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
A couple of my college buddies work for REC Solar. They are all over the Western US but based down here in SLO. In 2011 they were voted the best solar contractor in Sacramento.

http://www.recsolar.com/california-sacramento
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-30-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
Thanks for the heads up. REC Solar installed a system on my neighbors house and I am going to have them along with a couple other companies give me estimates.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-31-2013, 2:26 PM Reply   
What are the cost differences between buying the equipment vs. leasing the equipment? I know different installation companies approach this differently.

Also, what's the effective lifespan of the panels? 10-years?
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-31-2013, 2:46 PM Reply   
Good questions. They say the panels last 25 years but I'm not sure about that. I have panels that are 5 years old on my houseboat and they look brand new so maybe they do last 25-30 years. My fear is that I intall them now and the price for the panels keeps dropping and the technology gets better. I was told that the market is flooded with panels right now to the costs are pretty low comparared a few years ago and most of the advances are being made in the inverters. I also don't know for how much longer the30% tax credit will be offered. I'd probably buy them outright if the price is right. I'll have a better idea next week after I get a few estimates. All I know if I am fricken tired of PG&E sticking it to me with high rates and raising the costs every six months. My goal is to install enought panels to cover everything that is over 100% of baseline.
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       01-31-2013, 3:49 PM Reply   
Yeah, I considered the PG&E thing and made sure I purchased in SMUD territory.

One a side note... How many panels and wattage are on your houseboat? I've been refitting an old houseboat for the last few years (very slowly and low budget) and am at the point I want to add solar and build a solid battery bank. I know I can get the cheap harbor freight ones but they are not very efficient for the size.
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-31-2013, 4:16 PM Reply   
I've got 9 panels and 12 batteries. It's enough to power a regular fridge, stero, tv and everything else. I also have a Westerbeke generator to charge the batteries if it's cloudy. Not sure exactly how much wattage it's putting out. I think they are Sharp panels and I have an Outback inverter.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-31-2013, 10:58 PM Reply   
Solor a joke it don't work
Old     (peter19u)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-01-2013, 8:30 AM Reply   
well it runs my entire houseboat with no problems at all
Old     (AdrianParker)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-17-2013, 3:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter19u View Post
Getting really tired of high PG&E bills and constant rate increases so I'm thinking of installing solar panels. Seems like the costs have come down somewhat. Can someone recommend a company that installs panels in Placer County. Also if anyone has gone this route how much did the install cost and how much are you saving per month. Any other advice is appreciated regarding this topic. Probably will get 3-4 quotes and see what they come in at. Thanks
Costs have really come down but it is hard to find good installing company.. I hire most reputed and experienced person of my region..
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-17-2013, 7:55 AM Reply   
WOW ,Solar catching on ,Who Knew?
Sounds like new Jobs
Old     (AdrianParker)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-18-2013, 9:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianParker View Post
Getting really tired of high PG&E bills and constant rate increases so I'm thinking of installing solar panels. Seems like the costs have come down somewhat. Can someone recommend a company that installs solar panel in Placer County. Also if anyone has gone this route how much did the install cost and how much are you saving per month. Any other advice is appreciated regarding this topic. Probably will get 3-4 quotes and see what they come in at. Thanks

Costs have really come down but it is hard to find good installing company.. I hire most reputed and experienced person of my region
Yes new jobs
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-20-2013, 12:44 AM Reply   
If you are interested in solar around sacramento PM me. My dad works for Verengo solar and they have a pretty good rate for solar installs with zero down
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-20-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Solar Up Da U.S.A. ,,, anybody out there could use a good paying job?
Build those Solar Factorys NOW ,Before china jumps in
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-21-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Study: 15 percent of US youth out of school, work
http://news.yahoo.com/study-15-perce...040402321.html

Job's who needs a job? Da kids do ...U.S.A. should be the Solar Capital of Da World NOW ,,,were going to Blow it ,here comes china,nother U.S invention lost to china ,,,
Like Da WAKEBOARD
I made mt first Solar panel @ 20,Learned ,Electric,Pluming .Metal work ,wiring ...Skills to last a life time,,,That how my Wakeboard Factory was Plumed,Heat exchagners.
A Home Grown idea ,going away ,,,What about Home Grown for miles ,,,JOBS,,,
Maybe it's just San Diego having a Tuff time ,the rest of the Country must be KILLING IT
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       10-22-2013, 8:32 PM Reply   
Solar is a joke but you use it to power your wakeboard factory?
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-23-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
Solar is about as real as Da SUN,No joke
I use Solar tecnolagy in the factory with Heat Exchangers in the molds,Keeps them the Same Temp. All Day, So i get perfict boards,Every time
I could use Solar Too
Old     (norcalrider)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-24-2013, 10:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_moose View Post
Solar Up Da U.S.A. ,,, anybody out there could use a good paying job?
Build those Solar Factorys NOW ,Before china jumps in
Um you're about 5-years too late, guessing you missed that whole Solyndra thing... Solar factories in the US have shut down because Chinese, Japanese, Taiwanese, and higher quality German panels dominate the market.

Nice thought though and let's not mention the pollution caused in manufacturing of solar, better than fossil worse than wind and hydro, but I digress.

As to the jobs, having an electrician install and wire panels that are subsidized by everyone's utility bills isn't exactly free market.

To the actual thread I would make sure whoever you use gets all the utility backed funding possible, you're paying for it each month and if I was in PG&E territory I would too...
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-24-2013, 1:12 PM Reply   
put down the keyboard Moose,, your high.