Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
Looks really cheap, is it too good to be true? It looks as if I can just switch out the original alternator with this one no problem. Of course I'll have to beef up the wiring.

http://www.db-starter-alternator.com/Items/10si%20marine%203-wire?

Need some opinions before I buy.

Thanks.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
bump
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
It says for Mercruiser. Don't you have a PCM?

Give the guys at Skidim.com a phone call. They will know for fact what will work.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-05-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
Brandon, Delco is GM. Like Bill says, chances are your '82 SN has PCM in it, which is a Ford engine.
Unless you've got the big block that they put in the Barefoot Nautique, they used the GM 454.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-05-2008, 10:13 AM Reply   
you have a pcm engine
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
Yes, I know mine is pcm, but I messaged the guy, and he tells me that it will work. I dunno, but they have a 100% feedback and thousands of these already sold. Not sure what to think.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-05-2008, 11:33 AM Reply   
write up on the2001.com they will know for sure
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
The PCM 351 in the 2001s have a GM alternator just so you all know. Just because it is a ford motor doesnt mean all accesory parts are ford form the factory.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-05-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
Skidim will want you to buy the OEM alternator for $170.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
ok, Don, so are you telling me that this should work. The alternator that I have on it now is a prestolite.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Im not saying that because of all the differing mounting bolt locations and depths it is hard to say without seeing the case. Ask for more pictures form the seller or look on the2001.com or correctcraftfan.com. I know on CCF they do a lot of ebay alternators. Ask the question of if that part number you are looking at will work.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 1:10 PM Reply   
interesting read.

http://correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9667&KW=altenator&PN=0&TPN=1

I think it will work.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-05-2008, 1:59 PM Reply   
They have quite the pissing matching goin on in that thread.

I think I'd take a look at your current alternator & give those guys a call with the details from it. There should be a make & model on it that will tell them if theirs will work. Sounds like they do enough alternators they should be able to come up with the right one, even if it's not listed on the site. But comparing it with the one you currently have installed is about he only way to be sure their new one will work. }
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-05-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
that 79 nautique guy has a huge head and is ALWAYS right no matter what. One reason I like planet nautique much better.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-05-2008, 2:44 PM Reply   
yea, he kinda ruined that thread. Made comments that didn't need to be made.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-05-2008, 3:08 PM Reply   
he does that to every thread he is part of. he didnt get enough hugs as a child
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-05-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
I had an alternator rebuilt for about that price. At least then you will know that it fits and it held up for the three years I had the boat.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2008, 3:01 AM Reply   
Brandon- I was the one who started that thread. I just put that exact alternator in my 86 ski nautique with a 454 in it. The alternator works great. I had to rewire quite a bit. And modify the bottom bracket that the alternator rests on.

I changed my power wire from 10awg to 4awg, ground from 14awg to 8awg. Put in a 100amp circuit where the original 40 amp circuit was. Then put that existing 40 amp circuit between the wiring harness of my boat and ignition. I will try to take some pictures soon.

Overall the alternator worked great the other day out on the water, but it did chew up my alt belt to the point that it broke so I'm putting on a new belt. If you do order that alternator make sure you ask them to send you a diode that goes between your alternator and your ignition coil. Great customer service and super quick shipping
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-06-2008, 5:42 AM Reply   
Thanks Eric. When you say rewire a bit, all you are saying is that you had to beef up the wires correct? I'll send them an email about the diode, thanks for the heads up.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
ya upsizing that wire. tims first diagram on page 1 of that ccfan.com thread is the one I went by with my rewire.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-06-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
So that 454 is a GM motor. Assuming you have the 351, Brandon, which is a Ford. PCM used both back then.
Brackets, pulleys & connections are all likely way different. Not impossible, but certainly not plug & play either.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2008, 8:02 AM Reply   
Mine was by no means plug and play. I think that ford or gm there is going to be modifications due to the age of these boats vs the newness of these alternators. Measure your existing alt, and brackets to see how it would fit.

So expect the have to work a little on this project.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-06-2008, 9:39 AM Reply   
Yes, I know it's not going to be a plug and play, but it's too good of a price to pass up. So, how good is the alternator. Hopefully you haven't had a dead battery out on the lake with it yet?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
Haha no dead batteries yet. I was out on the water running 2 batteries, a subwoofer and amp(600watts), 4 channel amp(500watts), and the head unit and the volt gauge never dropped below 13 volts except at idle and it sat at 12v. Which is what I was looking for out of this alternator.

I wanted to keep my batteries charged, and blast my stereo without any drain. And I have a 3 pump ballast system that will be going back into the boat after i put the pumps back together. Plus im going to be adding another amp once i get some tower speakers (saving up for wetsounds).

My only complaint is that the pulley for the alternator is a really deep v and the belts that are out there are not made for that deep of a V and it chews the belt apart, to the point that my belt blew out on the lake last weekend (but that was long term ware on the belt. The old alternator had that same deep v pulley, but the water pump pulley is more squareish than V
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-06-2008, 10:31 AM Reply   
Oh, well I did end up ordering the alternator. They are also sending the diode to me. They told me the end with the silver line around it goes toward the alternator. I guess that makes since. What exactly is it there for?
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2008, 10:41 AM Reply   
The diode is there to prevent the flow of electricity coming back to the alternator from the ignition coil. (I think?) Meaning that without the diode there is a constant circuit which keeps you from being able to shut off the engine. When that diode is installed it allows you to cut off that flow of electricity with the key switch...correct me where i am incorrect experts, im not a pro at this stuff yet
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-13-2008, 3:39 PM Reply   
That diode sure is a lot smaller than what I thought that it would look like. I guess I was picturing something like an inline fuse???

Are you sure that you have the right belt Eric? The belt that is on mine fits perfectly into the alternators pulley. I don't see it chewing the belt apart.
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-13-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
My new belt fits a lot better, its a lot tighter and has not been shedding like the old belt.

The diode is built into that little wire thing. Its got some similarities to an inline fuse in terms of how its connected but yet so different in its purpose.
Old     (airwaker)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-13-2008, 9:19 PM Reply   
i didnt read all of this thread, but i did just replace my alternator in my SAN. if you call any decent alternator shop and give them your model# of your existing alternator, they should be able to cross reference to tell you if it will work/match up.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-19-2008, 7:14 PM Reply   
Eric, I got everything hooked up and the alternator works great. But I never did hook up the diode, I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do with it. Mind explaining to me.

Anybody can help, i've just been talking to Eric a little bit about it.

Thanks,
Brandon Kee
Old     (wakeboardin2k4)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-20-2008, 4:09 PM Reply   
your supposed to hook it up between the white alternator wire and the ignition coil. It is there to prevent electrical flow in the wrong direction. When i didnt have my diode in there i had to manually disconnect those two wires in order to shut off the boat but with that diode in I am able to shut down the boat the normal way. These new alternators that you and I have purchased are designed for ignition systems without an ignition coil so in order to work with our old school boats this diode is needed