Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-12-2013, 10:18 AM Reply   
Less wind=butter, this place averages less than 4 mph winds! Who can beat That?
http://www.city-data.com/city/Oak-Ridge-Tennessee.html
Attached Images

Old     (austin)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2013, 2:08 PM Reply   
Smooth water isn't just about wind speed. I believe there are several places (like The Boarding School for example) that have several long, narrow lakes oriented in different directions. No matter which way the wind blows, they can pick a channel that is roughly perpendicular to the wind and have pretty smooth water even in fairly strong winds. Other boats also have a huge impact on water roughness. I would much rather ride in 10-15 mph winds than ride on a lake full of other boats pulling tubes.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-12-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
yah, the water is always flat in my riding spot and I know a few places in Florida that are always flat no matter how hard the wind is blowing or the number of boats, but I still HATE THE WIND! Come on, Eastern Tennessee averages less than four mile an hour wind and they have lots of lakes! I haven't been there yet and am sure I will continue going there once I start, so does anyplace have less wind than that?
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-13-2013, 6:01 AM Reply   
That is where I ride 95% of the time. Water down there is always calm but if we havent had alot of rain the water can be a bit chilly. It comes from the bottom of Norris lake and sometimes in the middle of august it can be 100 out and water temp be in the low 60's. but I just bear the cold for glass water all day. If we have had quite a bit of rain then the water temps will be in the 80's. Down towards the dam the water temp is normal in the summer but that is where it is the busiest since not very many people want to be in cold water.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-13-2013, 6:12 AM Reply   
I would kill for 60 degree water on our 100 degree days.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-13-2013, 7:39 AM Reply   
As far as too many boats being on the lake, these lakes go on for miles and miles, so unless boats are targeting you like flies on chit, I don't think its going to be a problem.
Drive, 60 degrees on a 100 day is definitely doable, but I also want to be able to go in October, when the air temp is almost 80, what would be the water temp then? Also are all the lakes connected to Norris or do I have to go up to Dale Hollow? I have family that use to go to Dale Hollow every year and now they have some fancy condo time share where they go to Florida now in the summer time! No thanks, I'm not even going this year. Thing is, one of the reasons they go to Florida is because of how I talk how great it is, yah, in December, when the air is 80 and the water is 70 and the rest of the country is freezing! I can even trailer the boat to Dale Hollow where they would have access to a VLX for the whole week.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-13-2013, 10:07 AM Reply   
Out lake is pretty prime: it's 500 acres but with a 200 acre island smack in the middle. No matter where the winds blowing you have a line that's at least rideable so long as its pre 9am and post 7pm.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-13-2013, 11:28 AM Reply   
WIND ...a four letter word, wind doesn't blow it sucks.

More important than average wind speeds is how many days a year it's no wind, dead calm.
Attached Images

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-13-2013, 12:16 PM Reply   
"More important than average wind speeds is how many days a year it's no wind"
exactly! It doesn't matter that you can take a picture of glass, what matters is how many butter pics you can take throughout the year!
The places that have the lowest average wind speed are inevitably going to have the most days of no wind figured in the numbers, I have always wanted to get down there and knew they had a lot of days with no wind. What I didn't know was they were way below the national average until I saw this chart a few days ago.
Now, is there anything we could do about the Cold water?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-14-2013, 4:29 AM Reply   
Thermal lakes from Power Plants! haha

I can't remember the name of the lake in Virginia, but there's one that has some absurd average temperature.
Old     (paulharenberg)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-19-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
Lake Anna, VA

Has a warm side and a cold side. Water is not refreshing in august.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-20-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
Jo Shmoe that lake sucks, you cant get there from here, way too much radiation from the Manhattan Project in the 1930's, water is so dirty you cant see the rope, too many drunks, too many state troopers, lots of poisonous snakes, the local bass masters men's club carry assault rifles and I'm court ordered not to talk about the women's club, gasoline is $6.00 a gallon, too many stumps, too many PWC's. But worst of all - oh crap my laptop battery is dea
Old     (melton1wake)      Join Date: Oct 2011       04-20-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
I must agree with redsupralaunch. Melton Hill and all the E TN lakes are terrible. If you must go to the lake try GA, KY, AL or NC. If you have to ride E TN lakes don't tell anyone else.