Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-03-2013, 4:55 PM Reply   
Alright guys let me start by apologizing for yet another help me choose threat but I'm a newbee to wakeworld and would REALLY appreciate it.

So...I'm wanting a new setup for the summer and I'm doing all my research now. I've done as much investigating on here from old threads and this is what I know...from what I see the ronix one boots are heaven on your feet and the timebomb is one of the best. That being said. I have a 2011 LF PS3 now. I ride almost 100% boat, ridden cable once so really not too concerned with that. I want a board with great straight up pop since I don't go to flats much, lands soft and just overall good board.

my choices that I've narrowed it down to was 2013 LF harley board and boots, 2013 Ronix one timebomb and one boots, 2013 ronix william and frank boots or 2012 ronix one atr and one boots (have the board and boots changed for 2013?)

My last question here is I have some worries about ronix and them snapping. From what I've seen on here and heard is that true? I've never snapped a board but dont want to drop close to a g on a new setup and have it snap on me or even worse get me hurt. I know that they have great customer service but still. HELP ME OUT GUYS!
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       02-03-2013, 6:27 PM Reply   
I'd say Im still a beginner rider so I dont have much input, but Ive been riding the Ronix Viva all last summer. Im also thinking about getting a Ronix One but mayb the Modello. Im anxious to see what others say about it.
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       02-03-2013, 7:34 PM Reply   
I'm currently on a 2011 PS3 as well Mike. I'm also looking for a "poppy" wake to wake type board for behind the boat (I do not and will not ride cable). I liked the pop of the Harley, but the landing killed my old knees. I've broken several LF boards over the years, but I haven't heard anything about Ronix boards breaking. Have you considered a Slingshot? I've pretty much narrowed my new board search to a Hooke.
Old     (Dgsalsbury)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-03-2013, 8:25 PM Reply   
funny thread. I'm in the same process you're in at the moment. I've ridden almost every model board LF carries. Snapped two LF's last year and still have no issues with the rx1 ATR which I've had for almost two years. No cable riding. 100% boat as well.. My riding buddy got a Harley grind w harley 2012 boots. That Board is good and poppy off the wake and endured a whole spring/summer/fall of riding 3-5 times a week. the harley was not as smooth and fast as say a Watson or Trip (no middle fins) but a lot more responsive on the water vs The rx1. the rx1 atr edition with boots is a soft landing and the poppiest board off the wake ive ridden but a lot harder to break free for surface spins/ slides/ buttery stuff it's kinda a slow board.... I found LF bindings get my knees a little sore after a long set but all I rode was LF Harley 10-12 and LF ultra open toes 8-10. I'm wanting a binding that has good flex for board grabs that I like to poke and stall. I can't really get my rx1 ATR bindings to flex as much as I wanted compared to the LF Harley or Ultra bindings. It's a hard decision when you account the money you have to invest for a setup.... Good luck... Finding a new setup is a hard decision when u can't try em out.
Old     (wkbddad)      Join Date: May 2005       02-03-2013, 9:28 PM Reply   
try Bob's new board. Jason went from riding the PS3 to Bob's and loved it immediately. A little faster and much more pop off the wake. Progressed his riding after just 2-3 sets.
Old     (jc)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-03-2013, 10:18 PM Reply   
I have just switched from a string of Liquid Force boards over to Ronix.

My main goal was a consistent but explosive wake to wake pop with super soft landings.

I have owned and ridden heaps of boards but my last two were a watson classic and a watson hybrid, both with shane bindings.

I tried the Ronix Parks, Frank, William and Code 22.

The parks had crazy pop but dragged though the water which didn't help landings. Pop was inconsistent for someone of my skill - Shota kills it on this board!

The code 22 was faster than the parks with similar pop. I could definitely ride this board but I still felt a little inconsistent.

The Bill was super fun! Really fast, a little less abrupt pop but super consistent and photos showed I was getting higher due to more confidence.

I decided to go with the parks bindings, really comfy with good flex. Go for the Frank if you like a little more stiffness or the one for even more stiffness. the code 22 boots felt like I was on a snowboard!

I am really happy with my first Ronix board. I am now riding more consistent and finally landing grabbed spins that are nice and slow with good height.
Go for the Bill and Frank setup for the same feel but less cash or the Code 22 if you want more abrupt pop.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-04-2013, 7:45 AM Reply   
I'm not sure what board you should get as they all ride differently and you will prefer one over the other. Hopefully you have a shop that allows you to demo some boards, buying blind is the worst.

In regards to Ronix breaking. I would not worry about that, not because they don't break, but because all boards break. You land on any board just right and it will blow up, simple as that. If you keep it off of rails, it should be covered by warranty so ride without fear. Usually when they break they don't snap clean in half so the injury concern due to breaking should be small.
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-04-2013, 9:25 AM Reply   
So its seeming like im hearing alot of the harley isn't that much of a soft lander and hurts knees? Is this because of the boots or the board itself?

Im hoping to be able to demo a few boards come april but theres no guarantee with that so trying to get as much feedback as i can. One thing I really liked hearing about the timebomb was the rolled edge in the middle so the dreaded front edge catch isnt so much of an issue but when you guys are saying slow...how slow are we talking? Like ill really have to give'er going into the wake to make it or what?

And does anyone know if or what ronix changed from 12 to 13 with the one boots and one boards?
Old     (Dgsalsbury)      Join Date: Feb 2013       02-04-2013, 3:19 PM Reply   
I've ridden the Harley 139 2012 grind base w/ Harley Bindings. Looks are great but the setup isn't as comfortable as the Ronix one boots I've ridden. I've had a Ronix one setup for two years. My riding buddy got the Harley grind setup. He's sending his bindings back to LF for defective issues. His board is in great shape still. I won't say anything negative about LF the boards and boots are great. My experience is the Ronix one boots lasted loner than the Harley's. I felt like the landings were a ton softer on the Ronix setup.

Personally I like both set ups. They're just different. You should ride them both if you can so u can make your own decision on what's best for you. ... I wish I could make my mind up on what in going to ride this season. Lol....
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-04-2013, 7:20 PM Reply   
alright, still planning on demoing a few boards come spring if possible but leaving towards the timebomb/one combo i think. Anyone know if or what changed from 12 to 13?

And is there a huge difference between the timebomb and the atr???
Old     (mikeab8)      Join Date: Jan 2013       02-17-2013, 9:52 PM Reply   
sorry to bring up an old thread here... but just wanted to know an opinion on the one atr vs. the timebomb. I know the core is a little different but will I even be able to feel any difference between the two?
Old     (BamaLurker)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-21-2013, 12:52 PM Reply   
Hey Todd! What do you have against cable?
Old     (irishrider92)      Join Date: Jun 2009       02-22-2013, 2:42 AM Reply   
I've snapped a couple of LFs and haven't seen a snapped Ronix yet. I'm on a phoenix, and my friends are on Bills and Parks. One of my friends who was sponsored by LF said they had a durability issue