Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-12-2011, 9:59 AM Reply   
Hey WW group,

After losing several people this year with cancer, I now am going through it with my mother-in-law. She was diagnosed with breast cancer about a year ago. They did the surgery, chemo and radiation. She was proclaimed to be cancer free for a few months and than started having a bunch of pain in her chest. During the surgery, chemo and radiation she managed to only miss like a week of work, so she is a strong willed person. The pain became so intense she could not barely move. She was loading up with pain pills and nothing helped. She went to her doctor several times and multiple scans and such showed nothing. Than a few weeks ago they found a potential spot in her lymph node, declare it cancer and said that was what the pain was from. Than prescribed chemo. We refuse to accept that and got her into UC Davis Cancer center which is one of the best cancer hospitals in the country. They got her dialed in and dealing with pain. They declared she has very aggressive cancers (lung/breast) in her chest and have less than 5% chance to live a year. They have 8 doctors working on her now and running every test possible to determine exactly what types of cancer and what to do about it. She has been feeling much better and the staff is incredible.

So while are waiting on answers and plans, I have been researching other treatments and options. I see a ton of random stuff, but not much in terms of proof. I figured I would reach out to my ww peeps to see what you all know and hopefully share some experiences of some alternative treatments, supplements, etc..
Old     (wakeskatethis)      Join Date: May 2011       10-12-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
Hey Jason

Sorry to hear about all the problems. check out Mike Adams website

http://naturalnews.com/
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       10-13-2011, 10:21 AM Reply   
"Forks over Knives" is a movie that came out recently (recent-ish). Little dry but there is some very compelling evidence to support a whole/natural food and vegatarian diet and its effects on cancer, heart desease etc. My wife and I watched it on Netflix. I no vegetarian but It certainly changed our ideas on how and what we eat.
Old    SamIngram            10-13-2011, 10:58 AM Reply   
After seeing everyone else in my group give in, accept their fate, and eventually die I believe that my alternative treatment is the only reason I am alive.

What was the alternative treatment? An unrelinquishing positive attitude and a never give up attitude.

I wrote Invictus on the wall in my room, on my gowns, on my wheelchair, etc... I thought about getting it tattooed on my wrist, but never did.

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

It has taken at least five years of remission before I would ever talk about this stuff.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-13-2011, 1:22 PM Reply   
My grandfather battled colon/liver/lung cancer for 15 years. Each yearly checkup the docs told him he had 5% chance of making it another year. He continued to beat the odds on alternative treatments, going into remission in each affected area until it it metastasized through his lymph nodes to the lugns. His alt. treatments included asian mushroom extracts, vegan diet, and..... ayuasca. He met with two different shamans that lead him through his trip and did this multiple times. It's definitely not for everybody but he has been published on the matter (PhD) if you are interested....
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-13-2011, 3:03 PM Reply   
Taylor, I'm interested. My wife is very into alternative treatment as a result of Lyme disease. It's absolutely amazing how inept and corrupt the medical industry is from the top. Many doctors are sympathetic to the plight of the suffers. But their hands are tied by the AMA, and they are forced into a cookbook methodology.
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       10-13-2011, 3:41 PM Reply   
John, sorry to hear about your wife. It's great that more people are opening up to the corruption that is Big Pharma. Its sad but true, and a hard one for me to grasp since I am in the healthcare field. Google "ayahuasca and cancer". Top two hits. I'll pm you direct links
Old    SamIngram            10-13-2011, 3:44 PM Reply   
While at the Mayo I met many students from the Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine. The Mayo did a ton of good work with these folks... My current Dr. graduated from there. I have a five year contract with her (cash up front contract) and she has been able to take care of all my needs so far.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-13-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
I also watched something like "Forks Over Knives" on Netflix too and something on Youtube. First, they both stated basically the same thing: Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food. This means that if you have certain problems, you need to eat the correct food to combat it. This all kind of stemmed from me looking for better ways to eat, like "Biggie Size Me" and then "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". However, the one like "Forks Over Knives", it specifially spoke about cancer and the treatment of it with high doses of vitamin C. I'm talking 30000mg per day. There are doctors in the US who use this therapy, but in other countries of course, because it is not approved by the FDA. Why is that?

The other day, my former boss told us that his wife has cancer. He went on to say that is was easily treatable and the she would begin chemo this week. He didn't seem to be worried and believed what the doctor had told he and his wife and everything was going to be okay. Having my father already taken by cancer, I vividly recall comparing the grim outlook I read about the disease to what the oncologist told us. In retrospect, it was too late for him, but it may have been better to forgoe the chemo and let him die in peace instead of being sick and weak for months instead of weeks.

I told my former boss about the Vitamin C option, but realized his mind was made up and that they were convinced that chemo was their only hope. Honestly, if I was in his shoes, I would have probably done the same. It is hard to believe that food and vitamins can treat illness instead of a all powerful drug. However, after her first chemo treatment on Tuesday, she has been in the hospital ever since. I honestly do not know why she is there, but this does place doubt in my mind as to the use of manmade drugs instead of food, vitamins and mineral provided by God.
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-13-2011, 7:41 PM Reply   
My Dad had stage 4 bladder cancer a couple of years ago. He always stayed upbeat, got exercise when he could and didn't give up. With that attitude along with the standard chemo and then radiation therapy he beat it and is cancer free still.

I have read about the amazing things radical diet changes have made with people with other conditions. In particular, I remember reading about radical positive changes with people who went basically vegetarian, eating a lot of vegetables. If it were me, I guess I'd do the combo of diet along with listening to a good, experienced doctor.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-13-2011, 7:42 PM Reply   
I just went back and looked at my cue in Netflix. The documentary I watched was "Food Matters". You may want to check it out.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-14-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
There are doctors in the US who use this therapy, but in other countries of course, because it is not approved by the FDA. Why is that?
Because it costs between 3/4 and 1.5 million to get the FDA to look at the data for approval. And after they approve the treatment anyone can do it because it's not patentable. Who is going to shell out both the money for the study and the approval then give it away free to the world. The govt has decided that we should only have healthcare that is controlled by deep pockets.

No prescription required for a cigarette but try and get an oxygen concentrator without one. Oh that's right the govt says oxygen is dangerous, but you have a God given right to carcinogens in a stick.
Old     (wakeboardingdad)      Join Date: Aug 2008       10-14-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
Because it costs between 3/4 and 1.5 million to get the FDA to look at the data for approval. And after they approve the treatment anyone can do it because it's not patentable. Who is going to shell out both the money for the study and the approval then give it away free to the world. The govt has decided that we should only have healthcare that is controlled by deep pockets.

No prescription required for a cigarette but try and get an oxygen concentrator without one. Oh that's right the govt says oxygen is dangerous, but you have a God given right to carcinogens in a stick.
I knew the answer John, but thanks for stating, so clearly (with figures), what I tried and backspaced. I was afraid I would sound like a kook. The "Food Matters" video and I think "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" state heavily what you just did.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-17-2011, 8:37 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeboardingdad View Post
I knew the answer John
Yeah I kind of figured that.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2011, 9:02 AM Reply   
Thanx guys - Just trying to educate myself as much as possible and as fast as possible. She went back to emergency yesterday and they took out 2L of fluid out of her lung. It has been a rough few weeks here.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-17-2011, 10:51 AM Reply   
Buff,
My Grandfather is going here right now. Might check it out. They have a very high success rate.

http://lomalindahealth.org/medical-c...ter/index.page

Prayers to your family bro.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-19-2011, 7:41 AM Reply   
Thanx Al. Got your Message too. I appreciate it. It has been a rough year and extremely tough last month. It is getting the best of her right now, but she has the best doctors at UC Davis focused on her and trying to stay on top of it. It is crazy how fast this disease can take over. She had just had a petcsan done 2 months ago after radiation and it was reported 0 cancer and now she is loaded. Any other disease and we would be blaming the doctors.

I am checking out the LomaLind place - we are trying everything.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2011, 7:15 AM Reply   
After a terrible few day as we lost my mother-in-law to her long battle with cancer. It was a tragic loss and one that will affect the family forever as we all spent so much time together. Thank you all for your support as your words and thoughts helped me a little to cope last week. Now the real work begins as we prepare to honor her as best we can. Thank you all and god bless your families. Remember ever day counts so tell those that you love them. Sorry for the heavy subject on a Monday, but feeling the need to reach out to my WW family a little.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       10-24-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
Sorry for your loss Jason. My wife just lost a friend to breast cancer 3 days ago. I cant even imagine loosing a close family member. Such an aweful disease.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-25-2011, 4:37 PM Reply   
Thanx Newt - My heart goes to your family as well. This has been the hardest thing I have ever gone through and it has not even started yet. After 22 years and more than half of my life as my second mom, I miss her every day. My wife is broken without her best friend. Terrible disease.