Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (old_timer)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-21-2008, 7:12 PM Reply   
No parks that I know of in Minnesota, so I'm a little clueless, but I've always wondered what happens when you fall or lose the rope? Take your board off and swim in, or do they have handles randomly coming by that you can try to grab? Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to try sometime. How does it compare to being behind a boat?
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-21-2008, 7:50 PM Reply   
take off the boots and swim in.

boat and cable are both a fun time. i wouldnt say one is better but they both have their pros and cons.

cable- cheaper if you plan on riding longer. the walk of shame after you crash isn't fun, but lines are usually real short and get get back to riding in no time. spins are easier. obstacles everywhere.

boat- i think its cheaper for an hour or 2 of riding. jam out to the music you want. you get "your own turn" where everyones watching you!!! which is nice when ladies are in the boat

at least this is what i have found
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-22-2008, 6:01 AM Reply   
I'd say the cable is easier on your body.

1) It runs slower than your normal boat speed. 19 mph on the cable vs. 23.5 mph (my speed) on the boat. Crashes tend to be softer.

2) The cable has obstacles (ramps, rails, tables) vs. typically none on the lake.

3) Ramps are much easier to throw inverts and spins than the wake.

4) The high rope angle and springiness of the cable make your air more floaty.

5) No limits on riding time on the cable. Wait in line at OWC is very short to nothing.

6) Air tricks off the water feel more floaty and slow on the cable. Double S-Bends (not me of course) are a common sight on the cable.

One of the things I found when I started riding the cable after riding the boat, was the cable generates a lot of rope tension when throwing air tricks off the water. Throwing backrolls really stressed the abdominal muscles to the point where my abs were in pain from being pulled and a bruise showed up in the middle of my chest. That was just in the beginning, then it went away. But it left me with the impression that the cable gives you more of a upper body workout.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-22-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
Lol, the walk of shame, always lame. I hate falling farthest away from the dock, it's like a 20 minute walk so lame.

The cable and the boat for me are just totally different, cable is all about rails, and the boat is for wake, it seems I just have very different mindsets depending where I am. I can't say which is better they are both great! Cable all day is way cheaper though, 40 bucks for 8 hours of riding? Awesome deal!
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-22-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
Another cool thing about the cable is riding at the same time as your buddies... You can really push each other to try new things or take it to the next level when your playing follow the leader around the park.

Also its great not having to yell at the driver about perfect pass!

Daniel Trotter
www.WakeboardOklahoma.com
www.OkcBoardShop.com
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-22-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
Good info guys. Thanks for bringing it up Hall. Some of my friends are thinking of making the trip down to KC in about a month. None of us have done it before. I'm assuming helmets are required. Can you just rent them? What's the atmosphere like for newbs to cable?
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-22-2008, 1:45 PM Reply   
helmets are required at KCW as well as a CGA vest. you can rent a helmet, vest, and a board as well, or any combination thereof. if you've never been to the cable before, you'll need to sign a waiver, check out a video going over the basics, and then just let the operator know it's your first time, and they'll help you out.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-24-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
Thanks JD.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-25-2008, 1:53 AM Reply   
Check prices before you get down there. If you are going to ride a couple of days, chances are it would be wiser simply to buy a helmet before you went...you'll spend a little more cash, yet at the end of the day go home with the helmet instead of saying 'thanks' and giving it back. My $0.02
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2008, 7:18 AM Reply   
sure thing. helmets are $2 for 2 hours or $6 for an all day rental.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-25-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
I like boat, but I have to say I like cable a bit more. I can go twice as high loading the line on a cable than I can wake to wake. I'm much better on cable only because I don't get to ride boat as much as I'd like. At least I'm riding. My only complaint is breaking boards. Not for sliders either. Since you have the potentiol to go so much higher on the cable boards don't take the impact as well.