Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (jmcentire)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
I have been looking for an older inboard for a while so I have a few questions.

When did each manufacturer switch to no wood. I don't mind doing some mechanical work, but floor and stringers don't sound like a fun project. From what I have heard MC switched in the early 80s(anyone know exact year) and it sounds like most the others switched in early 90s. The main reason I am worried about this is I read wood stringers and floor most likely will need to be replaced at least by the time they hit 20 years, is that true?

What is your opinion on the best older inboard? I will be boarding(still beg-int), and would love to wakesurf and maybe try wakeskating and my wife will probably be slalom skiing. I will usually only have 3-4 people so space will not be a big problem. I know most people will recommend the SN 2001, but they are pretty hard to find and I would be worried about the wood. What is your opinion on the MC Stars & Stripes? There are a ton of MCs around here so the S&S might be the easiest to find(and have multiple choices). If you can list pros and cons about your recommended boat, and anything I should really inspect when going to look at that boat it would really help out.

Thanks for your help!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-28-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
1984 or 85 for the MC's. S&S wouldn't be as good as a 2001. MC were better slalom boats, so the flat wake that made them great for slalom, makes them crappy for wake. although, lots of folks have sacked out a PS 190 and had a kick ass time.

Older supras are catching on as good towboats. Watch for bad wood again. for MC's the maristars and tristars are good boats, 205's if you go newer.
Old     (midwesttex)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-28-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
I have a 2001 for sale(check the classifieds) of course I am in Virginia. Regardless, I would recommend the 2001, build quality and performace is great. Wake can't be beat.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Supra Sunsports kick ass
Old     (gbugg19)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-28-2008, 12:05 PM Reply   
Second the supra. Got one for sale. Check it out in the classifieds
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-28-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
Jake, you <need> to get on it. I've seen some awesome deals in the last few weeks, but they'll be gone before long.

George, i'm surpised your boat hasn't sold yet...

(Message edited by denverd1 on April 28, 2008)
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
I also saw a 80's 2001 pretty cheap in the Classifieds those throw a great wake but I personally prefer the Sunsports because they're open bow and have tons of room
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2008, 12:51 PM Reply   
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/boa/658081249.html
Old     (jmcentire)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
So on average will the stringers last more than 20 years?

FFS(for future searches) Correct Craft went no wood in 1993, Mastercraft went no wood in 1984 (post any you know and correct me if I am wrong).

Right now I am more concerned with having a fairly reliable boat that I don't have to dump a ton of money into than having the best wake. Maybe in a few years when I can afford a newer/nicer boat wake will be more of a concern. So what are your opinions for a reliable boat? Should I be so worried about wood floors and stringers?
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-28-2008, 3:05 PM Reply   
I have a 91 Sunsport with wood floors and I have no soft spot at all and the stringers seem very solid . . . It seems to me if the boat if well taken care of then it shouldn't be an issue
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-28-2008, 3:13 PM Reply   
I'd consider some others too. I think supreme made some small inboards in the mid 80's, and there are some malibu's in good shape around too. Every once in a while you can find an early 90's Tige as well. It seems the Mastercrafts and Nautiques go for a premium. If you're patient, you will find a diamond in the rough. I actually ended up getting a 2000 for what a lot of early 90's were going for.
Old     (da_mose)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2008, 3:48 PM Reply   
One thing you need to watch out for on the mid to late 80 PS 190 is soft floors, there big claim to fame back then was "NO WOOD" ha ha however if you have ever replaced a MC floor like I have you will find it is old school composite with a solid balsa wood core and once it gets wet its all over. The water gets trapped and rots out the Balsa Core.
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-28-2008, 4:00 PM Reply   
I picked up a nice 89 Malibu sunsetter with new floors engine and uphostery for well under 10K
If I were you I would look for something similar.
You want to find something as turn key as possible. because even little things add up quick.
Old     (da_mose)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-28-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
My suggestion is 88-98 Supra Sunsport for a low cost wake board boat just add a tower and some fat sacks and your ready to go. they range in price anywhere from 8 to 18 thousand buck.

GO SUPRA....
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-28-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
I had an 86 Sunsetter and i really liked it. It needed floors when I let it go, but it made a nice wake, ran well and it was open bow. I would also consider the Sunsports, they have the same hull as the original DD Launch. The 2001 wake is legendary and their construction is probably superior to other brands of the same era with the exception of Mastercraft maybe.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-29-2008, 6:23 PM Reply   
Hey there my Supra buddies. :-)

Okay, here's the thing to know about wood floors: almost EVERY boat is wood! My boat now is a 1976 and the wood is as rock solid now as it was 20 years ago. As long as you can find one in good condition you'll never have a worry and your wallet will thank you.

There is NO reason to be that paranoid about the wood. They don't just turn to junk in 10 - 15 years by themselves, they have to be mistreated.

The trick is to use some clues about the history to establish the condition of the floors.

-Has it been kept on a lift/trailer? Stored inside?
-Has anything been replaced?
-Is anything faded (sun exposure is evidence they didn't cover it and it could get rain) or ripped in the interior?
-How many owners has it had, do they live on a lake (use it a ton) or trailer (use it less)?
-What did they use it for?
-How many hours are on the engine and has it needed to be rebuilt at all?
-Finally ask the owner if any portion of the floor is soft or has been replaced, and then use a sharp screwdriver and tap it with a hammer gently on the floor to see if it is hard or if it sinks in. Then check the motor mounts at the stringers. Bring a socket set.

As long as the basic care and winterization has been done, and as long as it has been covered, you are going to have a boat that will live 30 years or more.

I'm bringing home my first inboard, a 1987 Supra SunSport this weekend. :-)

Good luck!
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-29-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
I agree with what wakemikey says regarding wood floors, but after having looked at numerous older boats, I can say that there is generally a price premium for the ones that have been one or two owners and taken care of exceptionally well. I have seen 2001 Nautiques that go for 13K or more. There are less of these around and the sellers can demand a higher price. On the other hand, it seems to be more common to come across boats that have changed hands several times and there is a good chance that at least one of those owners didn't take the best care of the boat, and these are more likely to have problems. So, it comes down to whether you would rather pay more for a boat that needs less work, or pay less and put the time and money into it.
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-29-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
Buy my boat $6700, huury because I'm getting to sell it on consignment because I'm about to close on Brand new V-drive. I can finally afford it.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-30-2008, 5:15 AM Reply   
Oh ya definitely look it up on Nada.com. If your boat is at or under the list price, I'd be wary. Most boats with low hours, few owners, hard floors, will be about $3-4K above the average book value. This of course is their ASKING price. Depending on the model, market, etc, you can get it for about $1.5-2k above Nada, IMHO. If the boat looks nearly flawless online and in pics, that's about right. There are still GREAT boats!!!
Old     (jmcentire)      Join Date: Apr 2008       04-30-2008, 10:02 AM Reply   
WakeMikey: Thanks for the info, that really helps a lot.

Also does anyone have opinions on the mid-late 80s Centurions?