Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-29-2007, 2:07 PM Reply   
Has anyone heard anything about Asterisk Knee Braces and whether or not they are good for ACL damage. Please give me any feedback that you can. I tore my ACL a month ago and really want to get back on the water.
Old    elicitwake            07-30-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
get the CTI2
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-30-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
does anyone read threads before starting new ones? Now for your answer, skip the brace, hit the weights and flexibility, forget about a quick fix. Shocked your doctor didn't tell you the same.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-30-2007, 10:02 PM Reply   
I just took my brace into Physio today. The head therapist took a look at it and told me that as long as the settings were good that it would do what a brace is supposed to do. He did ask me where I got it because he liked the style the lace and clip style of the brace. There's a good few of the Alberta guys wearing them including myself.
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-31-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
Jeff thanks for your help. that answered my question. i believe that i will order one. when you ordered your brace did you get a pair. Thank you Riley also for your opinion. i have a custom donjoy brace for my other knee. as for you Shane, i am completely aware of of what needs to be done this is my second torn ACL i was just curious about the asterrisk knee brace. and yes i do read threads. keep your comments to yourself if you are going to treat people like dirt. i have been doing flexibility and strengthening exercises. i am not looking for a quick fix. so thank you DR. SHANE
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-31-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
I use asterisk cells everyday, on both knees. They work great, I'm really happy with how they work. I still do alot of excercises on my knees but I wear these as a precaution, I really dont want to ever go through surgery and rehab again.
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-31-2007, 6:16 PM Reply   
They look bulky on the website...can you remove the kneecap protector shield?
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-31-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
Nicholas, I have not treated anyone like dirt, you might need to take your meds and calm down.

Now since you are on your second ACL, I would have to ask the question.

Why are you looking to get back on the water after a month, even though you know what it takes? It would seem you just posted a very contradictory statement.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-31-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
The knee cap comes off. They come in a pair.

My friend blew her opposite knee out and we're both about the same knee size so it worked out for us.

The large brace is however a bit large for me with the muscle mass I had lost so I wear a sleeve underneath. You can adjust the bottom and top wraps to your leg as well as a setting to prevent you from hyperextending.
Old     (jammerwakestl)      Join Date: May 2007       08-01-2007, 5:14 AM Reply   
I have a cti, im on my 4th one they are pretty good. i don't think of it as a crutch but a safety device. the company that makes cti is pretty nice too. my brace is a custom fit, so it has lifetime warranty on the frame and hinge. so thats how im on the 4th one without any cost other than shipping to ca. my insurance paid for my brace after my first acl surgery. just my two cents
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-01-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
Shane - Im sorry Dad has to call you out on this.

Don't you think that when you ask a rhetorical question you show your arrogance? I'm shocked you mother did not tell you this. Is it to provide proof when you ask a second rhetorical question?

You have offered nothing to the question. Please move on and do not respond.
Old    joshpalma8            08-01-2007, 6:17 PM Reply   
Asterisk knee braces work really well on the water, but you should probably get your knee fixed and then work really hard through rehab to prevent further injury. The asterisk braces don't move at all though, which to me is crucial.

(Message edited by joshpalma8 on August 01, 2007)
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-01-2007, 8:14 PM Reply   
Chris, I will decide when to move on when I want to respond , but thanks for the concern.

As a rider facing another surgery, I feel as I have value to add.

IMHO, worrying about brace vs recovery, I am on the side of very respected ortho's.

So Chris, move on and live your life w/ some adversity, not feel good BS your used to.

Someone posts on a internet message boards they are going to receive all opinions, not just the ones they want to hear.
Old     (drive139)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-06-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
Shane, I was not asking for your opinion on what I should do about my knee. I was simply asking for input about the asterisk kneebraces. I have been riding without an ACL in my left knee for 6 years now, so not having one in my right knee is not going to bother me. It has not held me back at all. Believe me I am doing plenty of rehab and strengthening. So like my dad said please move on to another post and stay out of this one.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-06-2007, 4:08 PM Reply   
Nicholas, as I told your advocate, when you post on a internet board, you get all opinions, not just the ones you want to hear.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-16-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
You posted on a public forum to solicit opinions and feedback about your issues but yet you bash people who might give theirs that was based off their personal experience.

My question is: "Why did you even post?" Either you or Daddy can answer it.

Oh yeah, my experience is Donjoy is a great maker of braces but strengthening the joint, muscles and all that goes into making the knee work is ten times better. Instead of reacting to your blown knee, be proactive and prevent the injury.

(Message edited by rson on August 16, 2007)