Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (4cents)      Join Date: May 2007       05-23-2007, 9:40 PM Reply   
I am going to be taking some small children out this weekend. I am looking for a lake, like Folsom or possibly somewhere in the delta. Just need a slow area to get them used to being towed behind the boat in a tube.

I am thinking Folsom as the back section is only 5 MPH, also Franks Track, but it can get shallow. Your ideas greatly appreciated and thank you for your help.
Old    kidrik            05-23-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
Crazy weekend brah! I'm not telling you what to do, but Folsom this weekend could possibly be a mad house......you be the judge, but you want their first experience to be positive.....and most importantly, safe!!

I'm sure others suggestions and comments will flow in......

Have fun whatever you decide!
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2007, 10:24 PM Reply   
weird...those are the same two places that I would take people that I wanted to hate the water.
Old     (4cents)      Join Date: May 2007       05-23-2007, 10:46 PM Reply   
Now you know why I am asking this question. Want and need it to be a good experience. Keep the ideas coming.

Would New Melones be better?
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-23-2007, 11:29 PM Reply   
By default, yes.

And in all honesty, you're picking the absolute WORST weekend to hope that you can get kids comfortable with the water. WORST.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-24-2007, 1:13 AM Reply   
yea it will be packed. possible monday may not be so bad. I would not do franks tract since there are alot of underwater obsticles.
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-24-2007, 4:57 AM Reply   
Early morning rides & right @ dinner time would be ideal, at least at all of our lakes anyway.
Old     (mjfan23)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-24-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
Pick another weekened, lol.. anywhere you go is going to be packkedddd.

(Message edited by Mjfan23 on May 24, 2007)
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-24-2007, 3:03 PM Reply   
JB:

At Folsom you can get some large areas of the lake that are 5 MPH and would be fine for what you want. On the delta the only 5 MPH sections (other than one stretch on the way to the meadows) are in marina areas and I would not recommend playing around with tubes in such a spot.

I would recommend staying out of Frank's tract in general. This time of year the wind can blow pretty good and Frank's gets pretty rough with very little wind. You get a lot of large wakes from passing cruisers, the area is shallow and there are recent reports of new hazards (a sunken houseboat, just below the surface).

You should be able to find a suitable channel or slough that would suit your needs. Find one that isn't on the way between one large marina and another so that you don't get large cruisers plowing through and you will be fine.

Finding a place to launch on the delta can be a challenge on the holiday weekends so get there early if you plan on just day tripping. I would recommend Orwood, then go north (under the railroad and pipeline bridges) to the sloughs on the other side rather than heading south/east and past Discovery Bay. Just north of the railroad you won't be bothered by any large cruisers. If you go in the direction of Discovery Bay it will be a bit of a run before you get into a quiet area as the traffic out of Disco bay can be incredible.

On Monday that area of the Delta will have a fairly low tide right around noon. This will expose a lot of sand beaches which your kids might enjoy. The low tide will be about an hour earlier (and not as low) on Sunday, or two hours earlier on Satuday.

Like others have said, why are picking Memorial day for such a day trip event? Last weekend you would have had the place to yourself.....

Rod
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-24-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Why 5 zones.... Take them out in the middle of the lake and tow them around where there aren't a million boats. There's nothing I hate more than being stuck in a 5 zone behind someone pulling a tube.

Stay away from the delta and pick a nice big lake where they can tube and swim until their hearts are content.
Old     (4cents)      Join Date: May 2007       05-24-2007, 4:17 PM Reply   
Rod,

Perfect information thank you so much!!

I would like to confirm I know the Delta area you are talking about. When you mean just north of the railroad bridge you are going towards Frank’s track correct? As I have done that run before I did notice some sloughs off the main track and these are what you think might be a good spot, right?

I have never been south of Discovery Bay, is there anything possible there?

We are leaning towards Folsom and targeting arrival around 9am, which I am worried the prime arrival time for all.

Like everyone else my crew wants to go out this weekend and enjoy the water.

Again thanks for taking the time to provide the information. We are new to boating.

JB
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-24-2007, 10:55 PM Reply   
jb
be very careful, especially since you are new to boating, this is one of the big three "accident" holidays, ive been boating a long time and a sure way to turn people off is go out on a busy weekend and try to teach...i know its just a tube
...do you know where englebright is? it will be busy too but maybe a bit more relaxed launching and retreiving your boat as well as out on the water and it is beautiful, has alot of 5 zone in the back and sandy beaches
Old     (4cents)      Join Date: May 2007       05-26-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
Went out on Friday. Yes I took everyone’s advice so thank you. There was not many people out on Friday, Kids had a blast on the tube. I now am patiently waiting for my turn to board.