Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (chadricko)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-23-2007, 1:45 AM Reply   
this is in regards to the Collegiate format for how colleges compete against each other.

What does everyone think about the Head to Head format vs the normal brackets putting everyone against everyone.

Head TO Head: seven riders, 4 guy wakeboarders, 1 girl wakeboarder, and 2 wakeskaters, 4 wins to advance team to next round.(envokes school rivalry.)

Normal Format: riders divided by skill, then each skill divides into heats. (envokes the best riders ego)
What do you Like?
Old     (tigerblp)      Join Date: Oct 2002       05-23-2007, 2:17 AM Reply   
I think they're both good for different things. The Finals format is awesome and really helps teams bond and encourage each other (plus they build a better bond throughout the course of the year knowing this tournament is coming up), however I also really like the normal format because it gives riders of all abilities a chance to excel at wakeboarding. i don't think it should ever be just one way or just the other, but a good mix of the two tournaments is what gives collegiate an edge.
Old     (brodie_chaboya)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-23-2007, 3:12 AM Reply   
Head TO Head: seven riders, 4 guy wakeboarders, 1 girl wakeboarder, and 2 wakeskaters, 4 wins to advance team to next round.(envokes school rivalry.)
This brings out the team aspect. The other format would be more consistent for who was the best rider. It's hard to say which is better because a team with average riders can beat a team that has 1 or 2 pro riders. I know that when I rode collegiate tournaments in 2001 I was judged against trick skiers. It was almost as gay as the INT(how gay is the INT?). I think INT gives neg. points for style. I looked at their site and it looks like you can earn negative points for doing ole spins,or wrapped trick oh yeah they call a blender a Blender - H/S backroll, with a wrap 360 Outlaw 1400, a blender is just a wrapped 3, they must mean wrapped back mobe, off axis or not but you can get an extra 100 points for off axis tricks but you get negative 50pts for wrapped tricks. Does this make sense to you? their points program is so off, Why do we have such problems with judging? I believe the key to judging is having judges that know how to ride, know the difficulty of the tricks and can do them as well. thats always the hardest part about judging, most of them don't know squat except for what they think is cool.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-23-2007, 4:36 AM Reply   
I think either type of COMPETITION is great. This is collegiate so please spell correctly. You really don't want your name attached to that heading with thousands of people reading it. But good job on the tournament. Sorry- I am being a dad and can't help it when I see this.