Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Final got the nerve to go for a back roll and was hoping for some tips.

http://myspacetv.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=15993 246

I obviously need to get alot higher. I'm thinking of moving the rope in 'cause my wake's really flat at that slower speed. Or I just need to try it behind my fathe in law's boat.
I noticed I did better when I didn't let the rope get away from my body and edged harder and longer through the wake.
I don't know why I keep letting go with my right hand but I'm wondering if it's going to send me to revert when I get the whole rotation because of it.
Is it easier to do the back roll to revert?
I know I've seen it asked before on here but how can I speed up my rotation?
Also, how'd my first ten attempts look? Decent or hopeless?
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-17-2007, 1:34 PM Reply   
man that is painful to watch! i wish my body could still take a beating like that :-)
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-17-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
dude, youve got keep edging all the way through the wake...edge hard and all the way through...mad respect though for going for it that many times, good work
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-17-2007, 1:52 PM Reply   
How fast are going? By the way that you are digging the board in on your cut it looks like you could use a little more boat speed.

Don't let go with your front hand and make sure to keep the handle in tight to your body, it will make you rotate faster.

Its best to learn the backroll and then take it to revert once your comfortable with it.

Your on the right track though just keep on workin on it, you'll get it.

(Message edited by iukekini on August 17, 2007)
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-17-2007, 1:58 PM Reply   
Slowed it down to about 18. Didn't want to bite it too fast while learning. I think I'm going to try and do it a little faster or a little closer to the boat this weekend.
The first five times didn't hurt as bad as I thought they would. The last five smacked the left side of my face pretty good. I think the seventh attempt was the cleanest. Still wasn't close but the rotation looked the best.

Thanks for the advice.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       08-17-2007, 2:04 PM Reply   
You need more wake to wake practice, the edge all the way through is just not there yet. It's hard to explain, but you are just forcing the board on edge when you first cut in, but there is no progression with the cut and the line is not loaded. A+++ for effort.
Old     (liquidforcefan)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-18-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
also your trying too hard to start the flip as you edge through and pop of the top of the wake wait till you are completely popped to to start the flip, once you do through your head down towards your back foot and hold the rope close to your body and the rople will basically spin you just hold onto it the whole way
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-18-2007, 4:52 PM Reply   
Also try to stand a little taller when you edge in.. it looks like your hunched over the whole time which could throw off your rotation.

But props for all the tries!
Old     (baldboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-19-2007, 7:38 PM Reply   
I'd be in a hospital if I tried it more than twice.
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-19-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
Go straight at the wake and as you are going up the wake touch your right ear to your shoulder and through your left hip forward and you should rotate, but you have to wait till you are almost to the top of the wake. Also go at it at 21 mph, the fall and the pain is the same, but it will help you rotate.
Old     (codykauz)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-19-2007, 9:13 PM Reply   
yeah don't slow down your boat speed any that won't help the cause and 3 mph isn't going to make that big of a difference in wrecks. and like batman said pretend like you are holding a phone between your right shoulder and your right ear and look strait ahead. DO NOT let go with your front hand. also when riding up the wake let your board take the shape of the wake and that will initiate your rotation. and byrd is right too you do need more hs w2w.
Old     (mattstrykul)      Join Date: Nov 2006       08-20-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Hmm. I understand you are trying, but what I don't understand is why you do the same thing everytime. You fall the same way everytime, so why not adjust something? Why didn't you try something different (faster boat speed, harder cut) something?
Old     (jpboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-20-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
Just my opinion but I really think you should not be trying something like this until you put more practice into your w2w jumps, and your progressive edging. You really arent loading the line at all and you are not extending your legs all the way. So take it a step back and really dial in your progressive edging, and poppy wake jumps. Wakeboarding definitely isnt a sport where you want to skip steps on the progression tree. Learn the basics first and than move on to other stuff, you will take alot less falls.