Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-29-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
Ok you have to hear this to believe it, total disrespect for a customer. Now I know Commander boats would not be your traditional wakeboard boat, but this story is so blatently wrong in how they treated a customer, I had to tell it here, oh and I hope to post it on other sites too.

My good friend drops $45K on a custom Commander 22 foot open bow jet boat. He ordered it early this year at the LA boat show. Was told the boat would be ready in 4 to 6 weeks. Well we have all heard that and it takes closer to, if not more than 8 weeks, ok no biggy.

He picks up his brand new boat in late May early June and is actually very happy with it, but now is when the fun uggggg I mean nightmare begins. after owning the boat for a couple of weeks he makes an appointment for the 20 hour service, in advance. The 20 hour service is supposed to be a drop off in morning pick up in afternoon deal, especially when you have to make an appointment well in advance. Well he gets there to drop off his boat, 10 days before the 4th of July and is told it would be there a day or two because they were slammed with the 4th of July rush. Ok not the end of the world.

Now for the 4th of July he has plans to go up north with a group of friends, hotel reervations are made, slips have been rented, etc etc. The trip has been in the works for 3 to 4 months.

Well 5 days into his boat sitting at the dealership, he is told they have not touched it, at that time he lets them know if they can't get to it by the 4th, he will just come pick it up. He didn't want to risk his boat not being ready for the big weekend just to get a 20 hour service, that is one of the reasons he brought it in 10 days in advance! Well he calls daily from then on and can you believe it, they get the boat ready in time "for him to pick up on Thursday the 3rd in the afternoon!!! The night he is trying to leave he has to fight 50 miles of holiday traffic to the dealership to pick up his boat, so he can hit the road for his 7 hour drive" messing up his whole planned schedule to get out of town. Now here is where it gets ugly.

He shows up at the dealership at 5PM on Thursday to pick up his 30 day old boat. He pays and is told to go out front to pick up his boat. Well he goes out front, no boat, is told to go out back, no boat, is told to go to the side, no boat. Now nobody has a clue where they put his boat. After 30 minutes of checking they have 2 or 3 guys scratching there heads looking for his boat. Nobody can remeber where they put it, and one guys goes as far to say that he hasn't seen it for days. Guess what?!?!?! THE BOAT WAS STOLEN FROM THEIR SERVICE CENTER!!!!

Now my friend is stuck there until after 8PM filling out a police report and knowing his weekend and most likely summer is ruined. So he aproaches the owner of Commander Boats and asks if he will do anything for him. By this time my buddy is stuck with the hotel fees, something like $500, slip rental fees, has purchased all the beer, food, everything they were bringing has been packed, not to mention he had $2500 in personal stuff on the boat, the kids are waiting to leave for a holiday weekend at the lake with family and friends. The whole works, the owner says sorry can't help you, doesn't offer anything at all and to make matters worse, he turns his back to my friend and walks in his office, closes the door in his face and attempts to sell another boat to another customer.

My friend is floored, they don't offer to cover the boat with their insurance, in fact tell him he is S**T out of luck. Don't offer to cover any of his fees for the vacation, don't offer if he recovers his boat to fix any damage for free, don't offer if he does not recover his boat to sell him a new one at a discount, don't even offer an apology! Nice going Commander Boats in Corona and Perris California.

So now he has to wait 30 days to see if the boat is recovered, to date it hasn't and he has a week left to go. August 2nd being 30 days, his own insurance is going to cover the boat, but he is not sure yet if they will cover the full cost, or a marked down cost because of depreciation. "it was only 30 days old" His insurance company is then going to go after Commander's insurance company to pay up, probably a 50/50 chance they will have to. But in the end Commander might end up paying anyway, and alienate a once happy customer at the same time.

So August 2nd if he is lucky he will get his money, and if he goes with the same kind of boat he will have to wait another 6 to 8 weeks for it and you guesses it, loss of his whole summer of boating. Where I know he had other plans, reservations made for additional trips etc.

I told him he needs to walk accross the street to Tige' Watersports in Corona, where they value their customers and get a real boat!

So sorry to be so long winded, but he really feels like he has been victimized twice in this deal, once by the low life leach sucking thieves, and by the low life leach sucking Commander Boat ownership and managment. With them turning their back on him and slamming the door in his face, I hope this public blast makes him feel a little better about the situation and let's all know what kind of dealership they are.

seeya