Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-30-2009, 9:41 AM Reply   
Hey guys,

Me and my crew were tossing the idea around of a trip in Jan/Feb next year down south. I've been looking at various camps and wondering where to go? We are in BC so California is obviously a lot closer for flights, as well as cheaper, but it seems a lot of the bigger camps are all in FL.

So if you could pick, where would you go? We are mainly concerned with going somewhere where the instructors are good and we progress a lot in that week.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-30-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
Oh man - this could be as good as "Which wakeboat is best Nautique Malibu or Mastercraft?"
Old     (wake4lifealways)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-30-2009, 9:55 AM Reply   
I road at Shaun Murray's wakeboard camp in Florida last summer and it was such a great decision. If your looking to improve your riding a lot and have an all around great experience I would definitely recommend this place. Hope this helps.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Florida - The boarding school - good stuff
Will Christien's is super fun, she is a great coach
Dave Briscoe's was really helpful too
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-30-2009, 10:06 AM Reply   
The Boarding school.

http://www.theboardingschool.com/
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-30-2009, 10:07 AM Reply   
lol @ David... not looking to start one of those!

Basically I've heard a lot of good stuff about camps in FL... but I don't hear much about any in CA. CA would just be so much easier & cheaper but we'll make the trip east if we have to.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-30-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
Jan/Feb in Cali? Do you have a drysuit.
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       09-30-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
the projects. landed a new trick every set i took
Old    shooter_08            09-30-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'm from Cal and have been to Florida to ride(not at a camp). I say spend the extra cash and go to Flo-rida
Old     (stoked_32)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-30-2009, 11:32 AM Reply   
The quality and experience teaching in Florida seems higher than in California. I went to the wakeboard camp and learned more about wakeboarding and how to teach myself progress than I thought possible. I went to a couple schools here in cali and the instruction and investment in your progression just wasn't there. The boarding school will be where I head next when the $$ becomes available. I've never heard a single bad review.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-30-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
www.westcoastcamps.com
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-30-2009, 12:30 PM Reply   
Just a FYI.... Cali is COLD in Jan/Feb. I recomend going to Florida, or waiting till later in the year and going to West Coast Camps.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
and with FL you have the option of cables
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-30-2009, 12:58 PM Reply   
Another great instructor to check out is Adam Fields. He is in Florida for the winter months and in NC in the summer. He's been doing this a while, and has the coaching figured out.

www.adamswakeboardschool.com
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-01-2009, 6:24 AM Reply   
If you want low key one on one style call Gerry Nunn he is resonable and great at what he does.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-01-2009, 7:18 AM Reply   
Florida and Cali can both be cold in winter. Cali colder than Florida.
Mike Schwenne gives lessons year round in Cali. His West Coast Camps runs during the summer. If you are interested in progression and becoming a very well rounded wakeboarder, you will not find a better program. The camp is a ton of fun too. Mike and his coaches have developed a system that teaches progression in a consistent, logical, and safe manner.
If you want to go to Florida, Gerry Nunn is a great coach, and a great guy. My kids have spent some time with him, and it was absolutely time very well spent. We have been to him in both Winter and early Spring. Obviously there are other options, but these are two where I do t think you can go wrong.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-01-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
x's 4 for theboardingschool.com. Those guys are soooo much fun, and the coaching is ridiculous. You can't go wrong. Just make sure to tell Shaun, Travis, and Kyle that I said hello.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-01-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Hmm it seems like FL it the place to be! Ill check out the boarding school for sure. Anyone stayed at The Wakeboard Camp also? Arent they the guys who made The Book DVDs?

I didn't realize it was a big temp difference between the two... much rather be somewhere warmer. How cold does it get in FL in Jan/Feb? I'm pretty used the cold... I ride trunks only until the water dips below 60 and air below 65 or so, then drysuits all winter. So anything is better than here!!
Old     (treywiles)      Join Date: Jul 2009       10-01-2009, 12:08 PM Reply   
west coast camps for sure.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       10-02-2009, 4:43 PM Reply   
It depends, sometimes the highs in the 70's & when a front comes through it will dip into the 50-60 range for a few days. BURRRRRRR!
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-02-2009, 4:59 PM Reply   
I've always had great experiences with Glen Fletcher and O-Town watersports!
Old    supraguy            10-02-2009, 5:29 PM Reply   
I will be at the wakeboard camp on the 26 of Oct.-Nov 6th never been but hurd good things. If it sucks I will bail early and go to O-town or the boarding school...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-02-2009, 7:34 PM Reply   
+1 for Glen and O'Town watersports.
Old    kaligirl            11-09-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
I absolutely loved West Coast Camps! You can't beat living on the houseboat with the coaches. The coaching, food, comraderie and stoke on the boats are amazing!
Old     (rob_pitchford)      Join Date: Nov 2004       11-09-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
If i was going my preference would be The Wakeboardcamp. http://www.wakeboardcamp.com/pages/coaches.php
Pretty impressive line-up of coaches..man it would be sweet getting some sessions in with Ben Greenwood! Ben has IMO has amazing style...can watch that guy ride for hours. Let us know what you pick. BTW the wakeboard camp runs Malibu's!
Old     (lhlocal)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-10-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
We have a house in Clermont we go to for mini vacations throughout the winter. We usually go the third week in January. There have been some times where the water is in the low 70's and the sun is shining and its 80. We have also had trips where the water was mid 60's and the air temp was about the same with the wind howling. One thing with the Clermont Lakes is we have never had to not ride because of wind.

Before we started pulling our boat down, we would stop in for some sets at the Wakeboard Camp. Haven't been for a couple years, but when I went, I had Bo, Ben G, and Kurt as a coach. Yes you are right, its awesome having Ben be your coach. I haven't been since the new owners took over, but I've heard good things. If we don't pull the boat down this year, I will definetly try to get some sets over there. Even in a couple sets, they will breakdown your technique and give you somethings to work on.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-11-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
Florida, the Boarding School hands down. Best coaching, super mellow, unlimited riding. You'll get a good ab workout from laughing all the time. Life is good at The Boarding School.
Old    xtremebordgurl            11-11-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Oh and you learn A LOT. And get the best pull in the industry from the one and only Travis Moye. He's pretty much the man.
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-11-2009, 12:04 PM Reply   
Miami area has two camps I think..... and temps should be good for riding, in these months Orlando can get cold (50's 60's)... call in advance if you plan on hitting any cable parks this is usually the time they shut down for a couple weeks for repairs and what not.

Have fun :-) I am jealous :-(
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       11-11-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
FLORIDA! FOR SURE!
Old     (jbemis)      Join Date: Jun 2008       11-11-2009, 6:58 PM Reply   
Stuey,
My name is Jon Bemis and I work with Cobe and Tarah Mikacich and we just started doing a camp at OWC. There are new winter prices on OWC website. The camp includes 3 boat sets a day, all day cable pass, housing, food, and transportation. We also will soon have a system 2.0, and we can go see Ryan Jones who works with some of the top riders with trampoline training. We can modify your stay also if you want to check out any of the other places to ride in orlando. If you have any more questions call OWC.
Old     (mexicoblue)      Join Date: Jul 2008       11-13-2009, 9:24 PM Reply   
theboardingschool.com Hands down! Worth traveling across the globe for.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-13-2009, 10:46 PM Reply   
www.orlandwake.com
www.orlandwake.com
www.orlandwake.com
www.orlandwake.com
www.orlandwake.com
Old     (k9fxr)      Join Date: Jul 2005       11-15-2009, 6:39 AM Reply   
I had a great time at OrlandoWake, also