Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003

Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-11-2003, 5:01 PM Reply   
Does anybody have an all black boat?

I have seen a few completely black boats in magazines and I must say I think they look great!
(some Mastercrafts if I remember correctly)

I'm wondering if it is worth it though, extra cleaning? Too hot?

Any comments would be appreciated
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-11-2003, 5:49 PM Reply   
You just cant cheat when you clean them. They show every water spot. 50/50 vinegar and water has kept mine looking sharp for the last year. My interior is gray though and that gets hot. I also have a few black accents in the interior and you could cook bacon and eggs on them.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-11-2003, 7:15 PM Reply   
i find the white vinyl gets hotter than the black gelcoat. the black vinyl accents are what you really need to watch out for. we use 50/50 water/vinegar as well, works great.
Old     (nautiair)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-12-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
my 02 sante is black from the rub rail down and silver cloud on the deck..... when you're in the boat it feels white.... but when you look at it from the water it's black.... plus it is a heck of a lot cooler that way than with a black deck.....
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2003, 8:03 AM Reply   
I agree with Alex. The problem with all black inside is that it scratches like crazy. Any little scratch or ding shows up. A boat that has white inside (above the rub rail) still looks all black from the outside but is much easier to keep up on the inside.
Old    karma2burn            08-12-2003, 12:42 PM Reply   
What about Gelcoat fade? Have any of the colored hull and deck owners experienced substantial sun fade?
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       08-15-2003, 4:25 PM Reply   
Hi Rick,

I have an all black '03 VLX. The black color really draws a lot of attention and comments. Everywhere I go people are always telling me how cool boat looks and how they love the all black.

Black does show water spots more than white, but not more so than any other dark solid color. It does take a little more work to keep clean and shiny, but not much. I wouldn't shy away from all black because you think it will take too much time to keep clean.

I would say the real downside with black is that it really does show scratches and scrapes a lot more than a lighter color would. If you are going to worry about every little hair line scratch then it would not be a good color. Dragging a cooler across the paint will scratch it. Wake surfing into the back of the boat will scratch it. Steeping from the dock to the bow with your shoes on will scratch it. Anyway, you get the picture. At the end of the season it will probably cost me a few hundred bucks to have the all the little scrapes and scratches fixed.

Does it cost more money - yes. Does it take more work - a little. Would I by all black again - no question.

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-15-2003, 5:47 PM Reply   
ditto

widowmaker
Old     (rocketman)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-15-2003, 6:03 PM Reply   
Wow,

Those are two very good looking boats!! As much as I would love to have a boat that looks like that, I think my passengers and I would melt under the Phoenix sun in either of those.
Old    oshensurfer            08-15-2003, 7:34 PM Reply   
Mine's black and yes it shows all the scratches. Especially around the platform where everyone boinks the back with their boards. But, like Steve, I love the color and would buy it again. The difference on my Hurricane is that the top rail (above the bumper) is white so it's not as bad.
Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-16-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
Very nice looking boats above!
To me it sounds like getting all black is worth the extra effort.
Most of my riding is in the evening, so I'm not so concerned about the heat.
Thank You everybody for the great input.

Any idea how having all black woud effect resale value?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-16-2003, 9:06 AM Reply   
i dunno, but prolly better than all orange or purple ;-)
Old     (wakeskier)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-18-2003, 6:17 AM Reply   
I would hope a black boat would have a higher resale value than an all purple boat! ;)

But seriously, should I expect a lower resale value compared to the standard white hull with a colored stipe?
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       08-18-2003, 8:36 AM Reply   
i wouldn't think any lower resale value, but perhaps a somewhat smaller pool of buyers?
Old     (lakeaustinrider)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-18-2003, 10:43 AM Reply   
Some neighbors of mine have an all purple hull 2003 MasterCraft X9 with the flame graphics and it looks sweet. Don't dis purple until you see it. It almost looks black from a distance but the color comes in as you get closer.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       08-18-2003, 11:31 AM Reply   
Did someone say purple boat…..?

I really like the look of an all black boat…but don’t think I could bring myself to buying one based on my experience of owning a black truck. I swore I would never buy another black vehicle again. Guess that would apply to boats too.

Old     (peeejay)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-19-2003, 12:30 AM Reply   
steve what kind of cover is in your profile and how much was it?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2003, 1:34 AM Reply   
Pretty sure that is a rankin cover, you can tow with them without scratching the gel coat. I'm not sure how much but I know they are a bit spendy.
Old     (captainfreedom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2003, 6:46 AM Reply   
Since he is in OR, it is either a Rankin or Coversports trailer. They are around $1k, but I have had them on every boat I have owned and they are well worth it. They are waterproof, breathable (sunbrella fabric), and you can tow with them.

If you have a Malibu, you can get one at Bake's Marine in Issaquah, WA.
Old    jplorenz            08-19-2003, 7:08 AM Reply   
PJ -
Brent is right, that cover looks just like the Coversports cover I have for my 2000 SAN. It fits perfect so I can trailer with it and it keeps the sun and rain out. I paid $850 for mine 3 years ago so $1k today sounds about right.
John L. (Oregon)
Old     (stevem)      Join Date: May 2002       08-19-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
PJ,

Darren and Brent are right - it is a Rankin. I bought it through the dealer for $650. I have had Rankin covers on the last couple of boats I have had and really like them. As Brent said, they are almost waterproof, fit like a glove, and the big thing for me is you can tow with it on. I think Rankin is out the Seattle\Tacoma area.
Old     (lakeaustinrider)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-22-2003, 8:12 AM Reply   
I am having trouble finding where I can get more information about Rankin or Coversports covers online. Can someone help me out?
Old     (bobbyb)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-22-2003, 9:37 AM Reply   
I really like those all blacks boats. I am not much on black and the look good.
Old     (ally505)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-22-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
here's mine, not as cool as most of the others but it's paid for!

Old    hockeyruss            08-22-2003, 11:59 AM Reply