Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (bcard)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2007, 3:38 PM Reply   
I went out today and only one of the three ballast tanks would empty and fill. The sac in the ski locker did not fill and one of the side tanks in the back did not fill. I checked all of the circuit breakers and they were fine. Does anyone know why this might be happening? Is there more than one ballast pump? The only one I could find was under the rear seat. Also, if anyone could tell me how the plumbing is setup on the ballast maybe I could trouble shoot it better. Thanks in advance.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-21-2007, 4:01 PM Reply   
I'm having the same problem with my 04 X2. I've replaced the rear pumps once already. I'm thinking I have a clogged line but I don't know how to clear it.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
Based upon 2002 MC ballast experience, the plumbing is set up that 3 pumps pull from 1 manifold that is fed by 1 thru hull.

The first thing to check would be to cycle the pump(s) that aren't filling to determine if they are running (audible). If you can hear them running I would then check the impellers to make sure they had all of their vanes. If you cannot hear them I would suspect the impeller is 'stuck' in the opposite direction you want it to go.

In that era, and prior, MC had issues with the impellers. They started using an improved yellow impeller that was more 'slippery' to help with the sticking issue.

Let me know if I can help further.

I'm in a margarita state of mind right now, so it might be...later.

Take care,
Paul
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-21-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
I have an 05 X-2 and had frequent problems with my ballast pumps until:

- Don't run all three at the same time. It tends to overload the electrical system. I fill/empty the two rear and then the front.

- After running a pump, I reverse it for a second to get the vanes going the other direction.

- Switch to the yellow impellers.

I haven't had any problems since.
Old     (bcard)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
Thanks for everyone's help. I will check all the pumps and upgrade to the yellow impellers. Also, that sounds like a good idea to not run all three at once.
Old     (bcard)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
Can anyone tell me where the three ballast pumps are located? I can only find the one under the back bench seat.
Old     (bcard)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
Nevermind I found them
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2007, 8:08 PM Reply   
I run 4 Simer pumps off of the stock '04 MC PS205v electrical setup (my custom install wiring to pumps may be thicker gauge), and I have never had any problems. The only thing I do is bump the RPMs up to about 1K to make sure the electrical system still provides a charge rather than a drain.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2007, 10:14 PM Reply   
ok sounds good guys thanx,

and eagle.
my dad also told me that too, to not run them at the same time, and your right that helped, thanx
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-22-2007, 4:02 AM Reply   
I have an 04 X2 and run all three pumps at the same time almost daily. If you're system isn't handling the voltage attack, make sure there isn't a lot of corrosion on the battery terminals. If the pumps are stuck, trying flicking the switches back and forth a few times to get the impeller going the right direction. Hope you get it working!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-22-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
Where are they I can not find one of them? Is the one in the center by the center plug under the black hand screw a sack pump or a bilge pump.
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       07-22-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
Ron,
That is a bilge pump. My '04 205v has 2 bilge pumps. One in the center (as you described) and one in the rear.

If MC is using the same type pumps, they should look something like this:
Upload

I guess I don't know where they are in a '04 X2.
Upload
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-22-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
There is one under the rear seat and the one in the middle but I can't find the third one. Also how do you clear the lines?

Thanks Paul.
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-23-2007, 8:25 AM Reply   
Paul, that's exactly where they are.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-23-2007, 8:39 AM Reply   
Scott - So I need to pull that panel?
Old     (phat_in_cincy)      Join Date: May 2003       07-23-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
Scott,
Do you think Ron is mistaking the bilge pumps for the ballast pumps then? I'm guessing that's the case.

Ron,
Look at the attached pictures...
Upload
Upload
Old     (taylormade)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-23-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
you're spot on Paul, and yes, Ron, you'll need to pull those panels. There's only two screws holding in each panel, though. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you MAY have to pull the plastic side engine panels as well to get those off. those are easy too, just a wingnut. Nothing to it. The pumps are mounted to the stern of the boat, which was a little disconcerting to me when I first saw them, but whatever works I guess. I replaced the black impellers with the yellow ones just over a year ago and haven't had any problems since.

(Message edited by taylormade on July 23, 2007)
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-24-2007, 8:09 AM Reply   
Thanks for your help I'll probably do it tomorrow night so I'll let you know how it goes.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-24-2007, 8:10 AM Reply   
Are the yellow impellers a MC product or available anywhere?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-24-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
you can get the yellow impellers from any MC dealer. Specifically ask for the yellow ones. I have a part number at home for these. Also, I can't remember which one, but one of the back pumps needs to be removed to get at the impeller because it is facing down. It's inconvenient, but I actually think it is installed correctly. The one with the impeller facing up went out on me. I took it apart and it was all full of rust and corrosion. I'm guessing water leaked in somehow causing that. I actually have both of mine installed with the impellar facing down. Also have yellow impellers in both now too. So far no problems, but I've only been out once since both rear pumps have had the yellow impellers.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
There is a shaft seal which can fail and may have caused the issue. Since the impeller housings are switchable/reversible, it is just lazy on the part of MC to install with impeller up. I changed mine too, to avoid water leaking into the pump in case the shaft seal goes.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-24-2007, 10:06 AM Reply   
Jabsco part number for yellow ballast pump impellers and outer seal is 6303-0007. They should be able to cross reference at West Marine or whatever.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-24-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I was actually thinking to install the back pump that was impeller facing down,facing up(for easier future impeller change).the back ones work really well but my front,It took me too long to change the impeller and now a piece/pieces from the old impeller are stuck in the bag so sometime it works and sometime it doesn't.I'm going to have to take the bag out and blow through all my hoses and get the ones out of the bag out.It will be a biatch but at least I'll have a chance to clean the storage compartment under the bag.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-24-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
I appreciate everyone's input.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-28-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
Just got it pulled off and am waiting for MC to open to go buy a new impeller.