Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (LBall22)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-11-2012, 7:07 AM Reply   
Hey Guys,

So i am about the enter the market for a wakeboard boat, FINALLLLY upgrading from my old I/O.
i am probably gonna be looking for something around the 35K range so i think that should leave me some really good options but was hoping for some ideas. I am from southwest VA and it seems like the selection is a little low in this area. anybody got any ideas?
Old     (constructor)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-11-2012, 7:20 AM Reply   
Look on boat trader and "onlyinboards". You should be able to find some 06-08 in that range.
Moomba may be the least expensive. If you find one way out of range like 10k lower than all of the other similar boats then beware it's probably a scam. Never wire money. Look at the boat in person and make sure they have the paper work.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-11-2012, 8:54 AM Reply   
OIB is down. Trying to get it back up by monday
Old     (LBall22)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-15-2012, 10:16 AM Reply   
what would be some of the best boats to look for that should fall in this range, and should i wait until winter/spring to purchase
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       08-15-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
Elaborate a little more on what you will be doing with the boat and that would help everyone give you some better advice. For example is surfing important? This could change a lot. If wakeboarding is all you'll be doing and maybe some tubing or just playing around I would recommend a SAN210 in the 2006 range. One of the most popular wake boats of it's time. If surfing is important I would probably not go with a SAN210 and possibly look at other boats. Also how much room do you need? Just need some more specifics for everyone to give you accurate advice.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       08-15-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
You can get a 03-04 Wakesetter in that Range.
05-06ish V-Ride
A pretty decent 04-05 SAN 210 should be in that range.
Not sure what Mastercrafts are in that Range.
A member here is selling a 2006 MB B52 for slightly more than your range.
A lot of options for Centurions in that range.

Last edited by boardjnky4; 08-15-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-15-2012, 10:24 AM Reply   
What do you want to use the boat for?
Is the wakeboard or Surf wake important to you?
Do you plan on slalom skiing at all?
How many people will you generally take out on it?
Is a very good rough water ride important to you?
Do you have any size/length/weight restrictions?
Old     (LBall22)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-15-2012, 10:53 AM Reply   
I am a beginner wakeboarder, can jump wake to wake and 180's but thats about it, not expecting to make it big for a few years , i havent ever surfed but not saying i wouldnt be interested in it, just havent had the opportunity coming from an i/o. wont be doing any skiing behind it. just looking to get the most out of my money, just really enjoy being out on the water. and price is not set in stone, just thought it would get me to a good starting point. not really a size restriction, and through the week i would only have 4 to 5 people in the boat when out and on weekends probably more around 8-10, not all the time of course but thats probably the number when everybody is wanting to go out.would like a decent rough water boat but i think that anything is going to be better then what ive got. thanks for the help guys
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-15-2012, 11:32 AM Reply   
I am not going to recommend any of the west coast boats because there aren't many out your way except MB's. Boats I would consider:

Mastercraft:
2000-2005 X30/maristar 230 hull-big, lots of storage, pretty good wakeboard wake, ok surf wake(I think), not great handling, ok rough water ride.
205v/Xstar/X2/X1 hull-great wakeboard wake, ok surf wake, ok ski wake, really small though.

Nautique
Orginal SAN210 hull-great wakebaord wake, doesn't require a bunch of weight, top notch quality, not a great deal of room, poor regular surf wake.

Malibu
Wakesetter VLX with SV23 Wake hull(this would include all Wakesetter VLX's through 2004, 2005-2008 Vride, and most of the sunsetter VLX's)-great wakeboard wake, ok surf wake, great quality, very plush, a little more room and storage then teh 205V or SAN210.
Wakesetter LSV-2000-2003 and could be under different names. This boat has the diamond hull but is a big roomy boat and can make a pretty good wakeboard wake with the wedge and ballast.

Supra
21V-Lots of freeboard, large rear lockers and playpen so upgrading ballast is cheap and easy. LArge, steep wakeboard wake. Ok surf wake, good quality.
22SSV-from 2000-2006-not as much freeboard as 21v but enough. Good wakeboard wake, rampier then the 21V, plenty of room, ok surf wake, good quality. More versatile hull then most boats.

Moomba
Mobius LSV 2006-current-great all around boat, no frills, good size, will be able to get a newer one compared to other brands for 35k.
XLV-2004 to current-same comments as LSV but bigger. Has the play pen so adding front ballast is easier.

Tige
22V/VE-one of the best wakeboard/surf combo boats out there. Most didnt' come with ballast from teh factory though.
24v-same as 22V but huge(24')

Centurion
Enzo SV230-This will tough but might find a 2004 or 2005 for 35kish. big boat, deep v, ok wakeboarding, world class surf(regular side), good solid boat.
Avalanche-Good intermediate to advanced wakeboard wake withough much ballast, world class surf wake, great rough water ride, good sized boat but not overly huge like the 24' boats.

MB
B52/B52V3/220V-good sized 22' boat. Lots of ballast under the floor, good wakeboard wake, ok surf wake, etc..
B52 V23, 23v-good big boat, same as the one above.

Honestly all of the boats I listed are nice boats. All have the advantages and disadvantages. The best boats that will have the room for 10, a good wakeboard wake, good surf wake and good rough water ride would be the Tige's and centurions in my opinion. If you don't mind a smaller boat and the wakeboard wake is what you really care about the 205V, SAN210 and VLX are all about as good as you can get. If you can stretch your budget up to 40k-45k you can start getting into the SV25 hull Malibus(VLX/LSV), Newer SAN210's, picklefork xstars, X15's, etc.. Then again you can probably get only couple year old boats from the non big 3.

Good luck in your search. Post up if you have any more questions.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-15-2012, 11:35 AM Reply   
By the way, all the boats will have a good enough wakeboard wake for you it sounds like and all will be able to let you learn and have fun surfing. I would lean more towards the bigger, roomy non big 3 boats rather then get a smaller, older, big 3 boat.
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-15-2012, 12:47 PM Reply   
I would say the Tige 22v or Centurion Avy would give you the best of both worlds (surf and wakeboard)..... Supra would be good but not as good a surf wave. MB is good too both ways
Old     (LBall22)      Join Date: Aug 2012       08-15-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
thanks alot Brett, really helpful. and that was kinda what i was thinking, what kind of hours can i expect to see on boats that are fairly priced in this range? this is what scares me about a used boat, with a new boat u know exactly what your getting where as a used boat u can be in the dark, and i am going to test drive any boat i get but that can still not tell you much long term
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-15-2012, 2:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBall22 View Post
thanks alot Brett, really helpful. and that was kinda what i was thinking, what kind of hours can i expect to see on boats that are fairly priced in this range? this is what scares me about a used boat, with a new boat u know exactly what your getting where as a used boat u can be in the dark, and i am going to test drive any boat i get but that can still not tell you much long term
you could see anywhere from 10 hours to 1000. Most likely most 2005-2007 boats will probably have 150-300 hours. Compared to that 500 hours sounds like a lot but in reality isn't that much. Trust your gut when looking at boats. If the boat looks neglected on the outside, most likely it was neglected mechanically. I would suggest looking at any boat in person both on and off the water(so you can see the hull and trailer), take the boat for a test drive as well as get a mechanical inspection before finalizing a deal. Go look at any potential boats, check the bilge for any extra water/oil/etc, check the oil to make sure it doesn't look contaminated(if it looks liek a milk shake the engine is most likely cracked), run the boat, make sure the temp looks good, make sure it goes in and out of gear smoothly, make sure there are no vibrations, etc... Check the oil after you test drive it as well. Don't think that if you buy a new boat you are going to be trouble free. Boats are assembled by humans. There are plenty of problems with new boat, although they should be taken care of by the warranty.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-15-2012, 11:08 PM Reply   
I think Brett did a great job of answering the questions and gave a pretty accurate account of the boats mentioned but, I think "normal" hours on an 05' are more like 200-500. My 2 cents.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            08-16-2012, 5:42 AM Reply   
We sold our 05 Vride loaded w/ no vinyl issues, 225hrs last yr for $28k here in the southeast. Just giving you an idea.