Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 23, 2009

Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-10-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Looking to get a Platty Transcend. Rode the 08 Faction setup last season. I want a little more bite out of the board and more support out of the bindings. I can get a deal on an 08 with Zues bindings($350). Is it worth the extra $350 for the 09 setup? Are the new Zues' better?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-10-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
The Zeus will wrap a little higher than your Answer, for 09 the Zeus has the option of using the top lace loop or not.

As for boards, I also rode the Faction last year, the new Transcend is awesome by comparison. Just a little faster and a bit poppier, very easy move. One thing I really like about the 09 that the 08 doesn't have is the full length spine. On my Faction I felt I could land under rotated and tail heavy on tricks like a front roll and mash it out, previous boards would skip out. The full length spine allows that.
Old     (deltariderscom)      Join Date: May 2007       02-10-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/667973.html?1234293866

and

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/666005.html?1234206122

have info on both the 08 and 09 transcend and also the different bindings.
I personally don't think there is a $350 dollar advantage in the 09 but I do think that the between 08 to 09 on the Zeus bindings that the 09 are way better.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-11-2009, 7:32 AM Reply   
I love them both. Don't think you can go wrong
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-11-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Anybody think the 09 is heavier???

Just wondering because I held up both boards and bindings 08 ANS./Platty combo and 09 Ans./Platty combo and the 09 felt heavy?

It is a beefier board though.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-11-2009, 9:31 AM Reply   
It did get wider so i guess its possible. I ride the foam core and it sure doesn't fell heavy under my feet.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2009, 2:52 PM Reply   
I put both boards on the scale today, and the 09 platy was 1lb heavier then the 08 platy. My scale does not do ounces but it was a pound difference. I sent them the weight differences, and they are looking into it. I was told from CWB headquarters that the boards are now coming from china, and are not made in the use any more. Not sure if this is why. This is the response I got from CWB...
"The 09 Plats should be more consistent and durable than the 08, with a small increase in weight. This difference is not significant"
Old     (player138)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-11-2009, 4:26 PM Reply   
Made in China? Nice... that pound difference is probably lead. But hey, times are tough I guess you do what you have to do.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       02-11-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
I thought CWB's big selling point was that their boards were made in the good US of A?
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-11-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
I am sure it has to do with the times we are all going threw. I know its true cause I was told from CWB Headquarters.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2009, 7:56 PM Reply   
That sucks. I wonder who will buy one this year thinking its made here protecting a job. I think if a company pushes the fact in their advertising that something is made here as a plus they should keep it here or put on the website in big letters that its changed. Seems like they don't mind misleading people and sneaking one more thing offshore to make a buck!
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-11-2009, 8:25 PM Reply   
Wakeboard boots from all brands have been in China for ten years. Boards... some are still made here.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2009, 8:22 AM Reply   
IMO a puind difdference is significant when the main reason i ride the platty version VS foam is the weight and snap of the board.If they made it stiffer and heavier ,there isnt much diiference between platty VS foam now to warrant the extra $s they charge for the platty.

yea they break and the reason they are making them stronger and heavier is to avoid warranty issues which cost them money.I see their point there but i wont be buying plattys anymore if they are making them heavier and charging the same.

if i have to buy foam cores then i also will look into other companys now,hmm are they saving that much $ in the end if they lose some customer support?

i guess time will tell.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-12-2009, 9:24 AM Reply   
Personally I never thought the weight decrease made that much of a difference, IMO the weight I notice is what is outside of my feet. With the new six inch plate and mounting holes if you set it as wide as it goes there is little wight outside of your feet.

My favorite thing about the Platty was always the extra snap, if that remains then I am sold. Heck I went from a Platty Absolute 135 to the foam Faction 138, easily 3 pound weight difference and my riding improved.
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-12-2009, 9:42 AM Reply   
Bill...From what I was told the Platy's are still around a pound lighter then the foams. The ones I have seen so far seem to be closer to the weight of a foam then a normal platy. That is why I brought this to there attention. We will see what they end up finding out. I am hoping it was a isolated batch of boards or something like that.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-12-2009, 10:51 AM Reply   
Yup.... I like the feel of the Platty as much as the weight. The '09 is noticably heavier, but also supposed to be much stronger. Not a problem for me, but some of the guys that break a lot of boards will be happy to again be able to ride Platty instead of the foams they were stuck with before.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2009, 4:33 PM Reply   
speak of the devil i just went out today and right on schedule(break one a year,not a big hassle since its only once a year and i ride a lot year round) ,i broke my 08 platty 138! :-)

so i guess ill run up to the proshop and hope they have an 09 to replace it with and ill see if theres a difference myself this weekeknd.

if i dont like it i can sell it and try other models,wither way CWB always takes care of me and replaces them promptly.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-12-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
Bill, what Pro Shop do you go to? TXMC had an 09 Platty last week.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2009, 4:55 PM Reply   
yea either there or Woly in the highlands now.Ill call justin,wait is this Justin from txmc?

proof

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-12-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
No, I am Justin from Eastland. It gets confusing sometimes. Justin warranted my 08 Marius for an 09 Marius. I'm sure it will be the same thing with your board.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-12-2009, 5:17 PM Reply   
Do all of you riding the platty boards ride bigger or smaller boards. I am 6 foot 180 lbs. I ride a 144 Faction but it seems huge to the 137 hyperlite I was riding before. Not sure if I should go with the 138 or the 142.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-12-2009, 5:21 PM Reply   
Rich i actually went down a size with the transcend i used to ride larger boards in foam and went with the 141 absolute platty at first but when i tried the 138 trancend platty it felt great and didnt effect my riding at all.