Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 7:21 PM Reply   
I am looking to pic up a wakesurfer. I have a yamaha ar230 so the wake isn't as good as the higher hend true wake board boats. I was told to look at inland surfer, as there boards are supposed to be good? I dont mind spending some money on one, if it will help in being easier to ride on the wake.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
I was told by my boat dealership to demo and many as you can. So I forward this advice to you. I am too in the same situation.

Mario-
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-06-2010, 12:37 PM Reply   
I live in ohio... I have no idea where I can demo boards at.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-06-2010, 3:38 PM Reply   
Brendon ,
their are plenty of folks from OHIO on this surf forum , hope they will chime in, they are in .
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-06-2010, 4:10 PM Reply   
Brandon, the wake behind your Yamaha Jet will be on the softer side so you'll need to get a bigger and faster board than might normally be used.
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       04-06-2010, 7:24 PM Reply   
If you're looking at Inland, the Blue Lake is always a safe bet
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-07-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
I think I would spend some time with your boat to see what it can do before you spend much money on a board. It may make a great wake or it may have a difficult wake to surf. It seems to take a bunch of torque to keep a wakeboard boat surfing. I am not sure how the jet will work. Next time you are out try to cruise at 10 mph with all of your weight on one side. It would be fun to try and dial it in but it may be different than most boats.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-07-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
Yep, good advice. Blue Lake is a good bet. Try to borrow one from a local surfer first before spending a ton.

Where in Ohio? There's a bunch of surfers in Ohio.
How much do you weigh?

Also see what the boys at yamahajetboaters.com are running for speed and ballast. PerfectPass for you boat is only on one engine. Hard to keep that boat at the 10-12mph range. I've seen a yammie do it, not a clean wave but they had fun. Get it to speed then only work the outside engine if you don't have PP.

Last edited by sailing216; 04-07-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-07-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
culumbus , cleveland cinci.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2010, 12:05 PM Reply   
ok, I am 5.10 170lbs. I am ordering a pp system for my boat as soon as my uncle sam check arrives. it works on both engines. Also I am going to put a ballast togeather this season aswell. They guys on jetboaters all surf decently, but they all have lower end boards. One guy just ordered a swallow, that inland recomended him to buy. I am looking at the swallow, and the blue lake right now. I am in cincinnati ohio.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-09-2010, 12:10 PM Reply   
cincy
Old     (rlsv211)      Join Date: Oct 2009       04-10-2010, 5:12 PM Reply   
I surfed my swallow yesterday and it was great.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-10-2010, 7:01 PM Reply   
"They guys on jetboaters all surf decently"
I think i need pics of people surfing behind a jet boat to believe it can be done, just because they put a wakesurfing tower on it doesn't mean you can surf behind it.
Old     (firehawk)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2010, 7:05 AM Reply   
I surf behind my Yamaha 210. I have 1100 lbs total ballast and use both a Hyperlite Landlock and Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6". I dont have PP and the only trick I have is keeping a steady 9.5 MPH. Here is an older post with some Yamaha surfing pics. If you search youtube there are a bunch of videos. Is it as good as a bad ass pro "surf" boat set up? No, but its very doable.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/m...19/358149.html
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
ya it can be done pretty easily.. I just wanna get a good decent board. I'm adding ballast and pp to my boat.
Old     (firehawk)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-11-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
Aloha Brendan, we talk frequently on YJB. Hope you find the right board.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2010, 6:14 AM Reply   
pat are you the one that got the inland surfer swallow?
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2010, 9:51 AM Reply   
whats the difference in the skims vs surfs?
Old     (firehawk)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2010, 10:37 AM Reply   
No I have a Hyperlite Landlock (Awesome VERY easy to surf on) and a Hyperlite Broadcast 5'6". I just got the Broadcast and havent used it yet but I like its size and seems like I will be able to ride it more aggressive than the Landlock which feels like a cruiser. Ill let you know.
Old     (bankssa)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-12-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Got a chance to ride all three Grindwater boards in Orlando with my friend Jon Bemis (thanks it was a blast). I haven't been a fan of surf style boards but I had been riding the coex, broadcast, and HO Kona. All the boards I have ridden are really popouts that are high density low volume boards. The Grindwater boards are a true surfboard construction just like the ones I surf at Cocoa Beach. Obviously they are scaled down to fit the shape and size of boat wakes but they have a smooth surf feel. The smallest board was the SLASH and it did. Loved the board even for me at 180 lbs. I would say I'm an advanced wakesurfer and wouldn't recommend it for beginners of similar weight but it was the whip for me. I was able to hard cutback carving, lay down and get up, stalls, and almost got a 360 on it. The fins are a bit big for 360's but I'm use to wake fins and I really just need some time and I think I could dial them in consistent. The second board is the SHAKA and it was a scaled up version of the SLASH with some minor tail tweaks. I couldn't tell much difference other than the volume of the board. It made the board a bit faster and tiny bit slower edge to edge. Probably the most versatile board for most people. The SUSHI was the last board and had bottom channels on both ends, wider, more volume in the middle and tail of the board. I had to stand on the tail to slow it down enough to ride it. It's probably best for someone with a small wake or a bigger guy. I like how it felt and with some practice on the board I assume it would ollie really well and spin. Overall the boards were really nice quality construction. They are not boards to throw around the boat like the coex and broadcast because they are not high density plastic but made of foam and fiberglass. If your not into taking care of your stuff I wouldn't get one but for surf style performance they are awesome.