Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-25-2005, 6:40 AM Reply   
I am looking @ a few vests and I just don't know which one would be best for me. I like the Obrien Vapor Comp.....I was looking @ the Xcel, and also the Execute Cobra pro.....My cousin just got a Nevin SWAT vest but since we live in PA and the water temp is 42 he hasn't used it yet! haha HELP ME!!!!
Old    dukeboy            03-25-2005, 7:24 AM Reply   
Brandon-

This vest from O'neill is another one you should consider. Very comfortable, stylish and your upper mobility is not limited like some other vests.

http://www.oneill.com/index.php?func=catalog&G=M&spl_id=3&tspl_id=5&tsrl _id=21&product_id=0123
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-25-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
If floatation is a necessity for you in your Non-CGA vest, I'd suggest something like the O'neill Outlaw. If floatation is no big deal at all, then I'd say go for that Vapor Comp.
Old     (mikel)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-25-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Also consider the Jet Pilot A10 or Stance vests.

Almost like riding naked, but safer.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-25-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
I too had been debating over what kind of vest to get. I wanted something less bulky than my CGA vest, but was a little apprehensive about using a non-approved vest. I've heard some horror stories about people almost drowning in them. Then I had an idea.......

I found a used Nevin Swat comp vest on e-bay. I picked it up for less than half of what it retailed for. Then I took an old standard nylon CGA vest that I had laying around and removed the foam sheets from inside the vest. These foam sheets are about 1/4 inch thick. There were 3 of them that I removed from the nylon vest.

I then cut the foam sheets down to size so that they would fit the shape of the Nevin vest. I then cut a samll slit in the inside lining of the Nevin vest. I inserted the foam sheets through the slit, two on the front side of the vest and one on the rear. I stitched up the slits and violla!

Now I have a comp vest that floats like a CGA vest. The benefit of this creation is that unlike my other CGA vest, this vest has large arm holes, no buckles or straps, side entry, and is form fitting. It is far more comfortable than my other CGA vests, yet it gives the same amount of floatation.

I don't know if I would cut up a brand new vest to try this out, but if you can find one cheap like I did, what do you have to lose?

(Message edited by nauty on March 25, 2005)

(Message edited by nauty on March 25, 2005)
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       03-25-2005, 9:27 AM Reply   
I ride Oneill's Outlaw vest, and like it a lot. It's really comfortable, and is never in your way. I asked this same question last season, and the Outlaw was the final verdict. I also had a lot of interest in the Jet Pilot A-10 Attack vest, but was told that the velcro under the right arm would rub your armpit raw... But once again, this was last year, they might have fixed it on the 05 models.

-Blake
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-25-2005, 10:02 AM Reply   
I ride the O'neil outlaw and really like it too. The Nevins are also really cools vests. I think I am going to try a Nevin Flack Jacket this year. It has a built in back support/brace that may take away some of the stress from your lower back.
Old     (airwarrior04)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-25-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
I just ordered a 04' jet Pilot Stance for 75$ with shipping from the-house.com I hope i like it hope it floats ok!

Late-
Zach
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-25-2005, 1:29 PM Reply   
Check out the GatorBoards NonCoastGaurdApproved vest. I really like mine. Lots of flotation. I also have an old shok vest I really like!
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       03-25-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
The shok vest is made by WET TECH.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       03-25-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
A-10 has great impact absorption, but floatation
sucks..but I still love it.
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-26-2005, 10:53 AM Reply   
yeah I know that I have heard that the Nevin vests have been nice with that back support. But for some stupid reason in my head I think that I want to get a pullover that zips up the back. And the only ones I've seen like that are the Oneill Vapor's and the Execute Cobra Pro's. I am sure that a side zip would also be just fine. I definitely appreciate everyone's feedback now it's just down to checking out a few more details..........
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-26-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
I've been doing my own research and searching for a comp vest. I have finally decided on the O'Neill Boost vest. Tommy's Slolam shop has one left in my size. Tried it on and it fits perfect and I like the colors and the look. Price is right, so why keep looking? Heading down to get it today before someone else snags it!

On to my next project.....
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-26-2005, 11:08 AM Reply   
I was also looking @ the Body Glove Patriot vest.......It is white with like an urban camo theme. It was in the Wakeboarding Mag with Collin Harrington on the cover....Looks like a nice vest.
Old    murrayair            03-26-2005, 12:30 PM Reply   
The A-10, while being a really nice vest, has a few inherant flaws. Firstly, the velcro under your arm gets annoyingly uncomfortable after a while(like Blake mentioned). Secondly, when you are sitting in the water waiting to get up, it tends to ride up on you. And lastly, mine started falling apart after only a season of riding; but I haven't heard this happening to a whole lot of other people, so it might just be my vest. The A-10 allows for a lot of movement in the air, however, so I still ride with mine. But when I decide it's time to go and buy another vest(which will probably be in a few months) I won't be getting another A-10.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-27-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
o'neill vapor
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       03-27-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
i have a vapor and absolutly love just buy it for a snug fit when its dry. feels like a t shirt in the water. my fried who is 85 lbs heavier then me wore my vest and was still comfortable he just his extra weight almost eliminated the flotation
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-27-2005, 4:21 PM Reply   
I have ridden in a Vapor once.....If I were to get one of those I would get the new Comp Vapor....Although I was now starting to lean towards the A10...but now that Mark and Blake mentioned about chaffing under the armpits that is pretty much turning into a NO. The Nevin FLAK jacket and the Comp Vapor are my choices @ this point unless someone brings up some more good choices..........Thanks everyone!
Old    chubbydaddy1            03-28-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
my vote is the Nevin Josh Sanders Team SWAT. The most comfortable vest out there. Molded vest compact the foam and makethe foam hard. So when you bend down for a grab.The softer foam is beter in my mind. And the Nevin come in sizes s,m,l,xl,xxl not s/m & l/xl But it's your call!
Old    byerly137pro            03-28-2005, 3:15 PM Reply   
chubby, im thinking of getting that same vest but i have no idea what size to get. maybe you could help. im like 5'8-9 125lbs and like an avg to skinny build.
Old    chubbydaddy1            03-28-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
go with a small!
Old    byerly137pro            03-29-2005, 12:54 PM Reply   
damn i ordered a large