Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-22-2011, 4:21 PM Reply   
Congrats to Tim White and Wetsounds are in order. I saw the new 2012 line up of Yamaha boats and it list the Revolution tower speaker as an added option.

Is this the standard REV series? Along with the line of SYN amps as sound option?

This is another mainstream boat manufacturer that is including WS as optional tower speaker set up.

Yamaha being the #1 seller of runabouts is going to be a great market for WS.

Kudos.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-22-2011, 5:32 PM Reply   
my dad wants one of those yamahas
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-23-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Yamahas are great all purpose boats, great for family outings and general usage. Have your dad look up for a ride from one of the local Yamaha owners in Texas to see what it's like (www.yamahajetboaters.com).
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2011, 11:57 AM Reply   
I just lost a little respect for wetsounds
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-23-2011, 12:00 PM Reply   
LOL, its all about flooding the market I guess.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-23-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by superair502 View Post
Why? Everyone likes music, even people that buy Yamaha boats. Tim is in the business of selling speakers for marine use...not selling speakers to inboard boat owners only.
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarond0083 View Post
Why? Everyone likes music, even people that buy Yamaha boats. Tim is in the business of selling speakers for marine use...not selling speakers to inboard boat owners only.
Agreed, stick 'em on your fishing boat or kayak for all I care. Bring on the beats.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-23-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read on WakeWorld..

And that is saying a lot.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-23-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post

Don't you know, if you aren't a core wakeboarder you have no business being on teh water or rocking loud music.

Tim, you are such a sellout. Are you trying to make money or something?
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       08-23-2011, 7:32 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
Don't you know, if you aren't a core wakeboarder you have no business being on teh water or rocking loud music.

Tim, you are such a sellout. Are you trying to make money or something?
Oh crap. i'm so screwed. Not a core wakeboarder.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       08-24-2011, 8:54 PM Reply   
Quote:

I think I've heard way dumber than that
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2011, 9:16 PM Reply   
"He's not selling arms to North Korea!" Awesome, Well done.

Why on earth is this a big deal? Why on earth should quality boat speakers not be acceptable on anything other than wakeboats? This thread is weird...
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-24-2011, 10:06 PM Reply   
Its not a big deal, can do what ever he wants, maybe it is a smart business decision but I don't think so. It just seems to me that a product like the Kicker tower speaker is what should come on one of those Yamaha jet boats. I'm dead serious a coule years ago I test drove a Yamaha 210 which I hated and had it came with wetsounds I think it would have left a bad taste in my mouth and no way would I have stuck them on my new SAN.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-24-2011, 11:01 PM Reply   
I have mixed feelings about this.

While I understand that like any business, WetSounds is seeking to increase it's marketshare and diversify it's customer base. No issues with that.

On the other hand, there is something to be said for the value of the brand name "WetSounds" and the exclusivity that it represents. It's the reason they can command $1,000 for a pair of speakers.

Here's the analogy that comes to mind... Mossimo. This is a brand that was once viewed as elite, cool, edgy, etc. It was available mainly through independent surf and skate shops. As their popularity grew, the company moved upscale to Nordstrom. Not necessarily a bad move as Nordstrom carries many premium brands. A pair of shorts or a simple t-shirt sold for astronomical prices. I'm sure margin %'s were huge ($30 t-shirts have BIG margins). But then about 10 years ago, Mossimo appeared in Target. I'm no fashion guru, but I'm pretty sure Mossimo is no longer viewed by their orignal, core audience as elite, cool, or edgy. It's now more like mainstream, discount, poser... basically a sell out. Once you lose that brand value, you never get it back. Perhaps Mossimo nets more profits this way. I don't know. But I do know there is absolutely no value in flashing that logo on your clothes anymore.

Another one for you... this time golf. When was the last time you saw Callaway, Cleveland, Ping, Titleist, Mizuno, or Taylor Made clubs for sale in a Walmart? The answer is NEVER. The reason is that even though they might sell more clubs this way, the damage to their brand name would cost them more in the long run. These elite brands are only available in golf shops and pro shops. They are happy to leave the mainstream discount market to Top-Flite, Wilson, and Golden Bear.

Is this resonating with anybody...? Because I can keep going.

What if Ronix or Slingshot decided that they would sell their wakeboards in the "watersports" section at Big 5 Sporting Goods? Right next to the "Hydroslide Chaos" wakeboard package. Or what if on your next trip to Costco you saw a palet of Inland Surfer boards sitting next to the life jackets... right across the aisle from the 5 gallon drums of olive oil? Would you be okay with that? Or would you worry a little about that brand thinking they had "sold out" and would never be the same.

Here's a good one... what if your favorite boat company (MC, Bu, CC, SC, MB, Tige, etc.) decided to build and sell an I/O model that they could market to the masses? Afterall, I/O's sell more units each year than iboards. Would you be okay with this? Afterall, it's just business, right? Or would you lose some respect from that boat company?

Look, I'm not saying I know the answer. But I do know there is something to be said for protecting your brand value, and limiting your sales channels is sometimes part of that equation.

Thoughts on this...? Am I way off base here...?

Last edited by ixfe; 08-24-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       08-23-2011, 7:56 PM Reply   
The dealer in Conroe said that they will not sell a boat without letting the buyer test driver it on the water first. I like the transom seats on it but out of the water it looks kind of funny. Maybe it looks better in the water. The same dealer was selling a chaparral I/O "wake edition" for 90k...
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-23-2011, 8:56 PM Reply   
It's just another example of yamaha and other jet boats trying to market themselves as wakeboard boats. Can't tell u how many of those things I have seen show up as trade ins at the dealer because of buyers being misled about what the boat really is and becomes obviously unsatisfied with their purchase. Maybe next yamaha with put a fake propeller and drive shaft under the boat. I dont understand why yamaha wants to put wetsounds on their boats but nautique, mastercraft and Malibu aren't interested. I don't really care if wetsounds are on other boats and maybe I didn't voice it right but I hate things trying to be something they aren't just to cash in. For example I saw a fishing boat on the lake with what looked like a factory tower which I assume the purchaser thought would look cool because they obviously do not use it to wakeboard
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-24-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:
It's just another example of yamaha and other jet boats trying to market themselves as wakeboard boats. Can't tell u how many of those things I have seen show up as trade ins at the dealer because of buyers being misled about what the boat really is and becomes obviously unsatisfied with their purchase. Maybe next yamaha with put a fake propeller and drive shaft under the boat. I dont understand why yamaha wants to put wetsounds on their boats but nautique, mastercraft and Malibu aren't interested. I don't really care if wetsounds are on other boats and maybe I didn't voice it right but I hate things trying to be something they aren't just to cash in. For example I saw a fishing boat on the lake with what looked like a factory tower which I assume the purchaser thought would look cool because they obviously do not use it to wakeboard
Maybe it is because they get quality stuff for really cheap? Also, outside of the wakeworld community I doubt wetsounds is known as well as Polk, JL, Kicker, Rockford fosgate. Those are all big name audio companies that more people are going to associate with.

Also, why wouldn't people with a seadoo or yamaha want tower speakers. 95% of the people that have them use them more for partying then anything else.

As for the fishing boat with a wakeboard tower. Where do you think the original diesigns of wakeboard towers came from? Radar arches have been around a hell of a lot longer then wakeboard towers. He might of liked the look of a wakeboard tower better. You can still mount a radar, rocket launchers, antenas, canvas enclosures, lights, net holders, etc...

Mason, you just come off incredibly close minded and the way you use your boat is the only correct way or way it should be done.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       08-24-2011, 1:16 PM Reply   
WOW! I sure hope this isn't true either. It just doesn't seem right having wetsounds on those boats? Come on wetsounds have some dignity. You worked very hard to promote your product as the top tier high end product that it is, why not try and push wetsounds on Bayliner also. Starting to think I shoulda went with NVS....
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-24-2011, 2:03 PM Reply   
Tim is a business man, and Wetsounds is his business. So many more people will now get to experience his products and you think that's bad idea? Try looking at it from his perspective... You'd do the same thing, and if not, your "dignity" would run your company into the ground.

Congrats Tim
Old    mojo            08-24-2011, 8:11 PM Reply   
He's not selling arms to north Korea. He's providing a quality product to those who choose it. The only thing I'd like to see is a cheaper version of the 420 w/o the eq or mic. Capitalism, learn about it haters.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2011, 5:02 AM Reply   
I think this is an awesome Idea! These boats have poor charging systems and can not support huge systems with multiple amps. Tim is doing his part to keep the water smooth by killing these guys batteries and shutting them down.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-25-2011, 6:05 AM Reply   
Jeez, who gives a damn? I could care less if Tim gets a deal done to put wetsounds speakers on Catapillar backhoes, PT Cruizers and/or those electric cart things bag boys use to push buggies around in the Walmart parking lot. Honestly, wtf? As more manufacturers carry wetsounds products, it will become much more likely that more local dealers will pop up in new areas. Not everyone has a local dealer now. For those critizicing the move, are you really less likely to go to a yamaha dealer to buy your wetsounds gear - as opposed to going to, say, a mc or cc dealer???

I think it's a great move! Hell, for those who try to sell used boats with wetsounds gear installed in them, the more brand recognition and appreciation that's out there in the market for wetsounds products will only help increase the liklihood of a customer paying more for a used boat BECAUSE of the wetsounds components.

You show me a company that refuses to sell a particular product to a customer who can afford it, purely because that customer doesn't fit some stupid specific niche mold, and I'll show you a company that needs a new marketing director.
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-25-2011, 6:30 AM Reply   
Do you buy a speaker because of the name, or because of the sound and quality?

The only thing putting WS speakers on a Yamaha will do is get the name out there to more people that haven't heard of them, sell more product, and grow the company. With more sales, there will be more $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for R&D, which will yield even better products.

Yea, definitely seems like a terrible idea.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-25-2011, 7:16 AM Reply   
Marketing stroke of genius. My understanding is efficient amps and efficient sound system will help prolong the battery's life so you could play longer. I'm sure WS looked into the charging system of the Yamahas and made some recommendations to go with it.

May be Tim even gave Yamaha designers a few suggestions on how to modify the damn bimini to work right with the tower speakers!!!
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 8:14 AM Reply   
LOL, love all the speculations and ideas the world has. Who cares, how many of ya are gonna run out and buy a yamaha? 1 maybe 2? It's a whole different market, and honestly a 70mph yamaha with WS is good news to me. It can get away from me fast so I don't have to listen, while I use My WAKEboard boat.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-25-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
Interesting reading. Sorry it took me so long to respond, I was out meeting with a Kayak company. Just joking. Let me give you an example. Porsche revealed a few years ago that it would build an SUV. The Cayenne. Porsche purist cried and made comments about not being core and it was a bad move. The Cayenne became their best selling model. Then later they announced the Panamera, a 4 door Porsche. More comments from the purists about it. Not a 4 door. The Panamera is now their number one selling vehicle in the US, with the Cayenne second. As Ian pointed out. More sales volume and capital gave them more ability to continue to push the envelope and bring out more models. And continue to build their “purist” “core” sports cars and make them even better and faster. And they still have the Carrera GT. One of the top supercars. They also still have the brand name of a high end car company EVEN though they have sold other models outside of their core and also entry level cars for their segment in the boxster. This gives customers who normally would not have been able to get into the brand, the ability. With all that being said, I think Porchse’s name and brand are still intact and still represent what they always have. Just like us. Heck, even Ferrari is rumored to be bringing out an entry level car and bringing back the Dino name. And rumors of a maserati mid level in the BMW M5 price area. Just becuase these car companies have models that are not their core doesn't mean the brand is not the same, doesn't mean the quality isn't the same. It means they can get more cars sold.

We expand our market and it gives the ability to bring out more products. Just because we have an entry level tower speaker in the $499 price point in the XST-65 or we sell to a certain boat company, doesn’t mean we have forgotten our core or the high end products we sell. We will always have our high end, top of the line core products. But if you look at our site in the misc gallery. Take a look at some of the installs and places our products find their way onto. We have a company that builds “taco trucks” They love our speakers. They put them on the roof and play music. So I guess if you don’t like Taco’s and we sell to a taco truck company, you won’t buy our products? They went through tons of cheaper products all to have them fail after a few months. Many of these are sold in New York. They installed ours and sent us a picture of the trucks with snow up to the roof and the speakers sticking out. Said they are still rocking. They love the quality, the sound and that they can spend a little more and not have to replace them all the time. Many other boat companies feel the same way. They can step into a better built product and have less warranty and less service issues. I was at a wakeboard event last summer. Young wakeskater had a jon boat for him and his buddies to ride. All he could afford. I talked to him about it. Said they ride on small rivers and lakes and all he could afford but it also works great for him and his buddies, they set up rails and just wake skate so he didn’t need a wakeboard boat and the jon boat worked better than a jet ski for them. He had a SYN Micro and a pair of XS-650. He loved it. I thought it was great. Just because someone can’t afford a core wakeboard boat doesn’t mean they don’t like good tunes. Just because someone doesn’t have the same taste in boats, doesn’t mean they don’t like good music or they dont want want a high end system. One of my best friends is the world champion cowboy mounted shooter. His horse trailer with living quarters is the cost of some houses. And he pulls it with a freightliner. He has always been into audio and I have always done big systems for him. He has a pair of PRO 485’s on top of his trailer. When they set up at a show and hangs out. He provides the party. Many of the other guys have followed suit. Just because he is a cowboy, doesn’t mean he doesn’t like good tunes. Just because it isn’t on a boat, doesn’t mean it doesn’t work great. I took him out wakesurfing this summer and he loves it and is a natural at it. You just can’t judge people like some are. So you may not like horses, and you see Wet Sounds on a horse trailer, so you won’t buy Wet Sounds? Some mentioned fishing boats. We have a lot of fishing boats builders on the east coast. There is a ton of salt water guys that like good tunes. It is a 2 hour boat ride out or so out to where they fish and it is 65 mph+ with the hammer down. These guys need it loud. They are also in salt water so they need a product built like a tank. So they buy Wet Sounds. You may not fish and Wet Sounds is on a fishing boat, so you won’t buy Wet Sounds? http://www.seahunterboats.com/tournament40_gallery.html Take a look at our demo boat. It has 5 pairs of our salt water SW-650 and 3 SW-10 subs and a WS-420 and a pair of REV 8’s on the t top and 5 SYN amps. The guys at Sea Hunter love the REV 8’s on the t-tops and all have added them to their personal boats. It’s great. We have a ATV line, we sell to Polaris Rangers and Yamaha Rhino’s. So you don’t like side by side ATV’s and we sell to ATV’s, so you won’t buy our products? Most probably don’t know but we have been selling the SYN Micro to Sea Doo for a couple years now. If you get the boat with a tower, it has our amp. They don’t buy our speakers but they needed an amp that was more efficient as they had problems with stators. So they came to us and tested the amp and it gave them twice the power and less current draw and less strain on the electrical system.

J Bob makes a good point about those things, IT is a different market. So why is it an issue with some. It does not take away from the core or high end. You must judge a company on their products and their quality and not who decides to buy them. DBC brings up interesting points about the clothing and what not BUT that is a completely different deal. You are talking about companies changing their business model and price points and taking a brand from high end to low end mass market. We will continue to support our dealer network and our quality of products and distribution as is. None of that changes. We will not be sold at pep boys etc..which is what your examples refer to. OEM is a different segment. Just as many audio companies sell to car OEM’s. You can buy a car with all sorts of audio systems in it. (bose, sony, Rockford Fosgate, Mark Levinson, B&O,Boston Acoutics, Kicker, Dynaudio, Harmon Kardon, B&W, Sony and more) It doesn’t change their brand or focus or distribution. But it does get their name out to all those that buy that car. Many who may have never heard of the brand before. Who now know the name. Next time they go buy home speakers or whatever, they may buy that because they liked the system in their car. It helps the companies grow on many levels. I feel we build the highest performing products in the market. I feel we build the best quality. I feel that we have a brand that is built on high performance marine audio. And that was what the company was founded on. And will continue to be founded on. Next year we have a lot of new exciting things. We will continue to have our high end core products and we will also have more products in the middle. But everything will still be the highest quality, built like a tank and over engineered. We are very happy with all of our OEM partners. And I am very happy with all of customers and wherever they decide to install our speakers.

Tim
Wet Sounds

Last edited by wetsounds1; 08-25-2011 at 9:50 AM.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2011, 9:49 AM Reply   
I was going to say I hope Tim doesn't even respond to this stupid thread but as I hit enter his post showed up.lol. Oh well.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-25-2011, 9:53 AM Reply   
Dave, I wasn't going to. LOL. But sometimes I think there is a time that people need to open their minds up and look at different points of view.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-25-2011, 11:10 AM Reply   
Well said Tim. Thanks for driving the audio industry!
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-25-2011, 11:24 AM Reply   
Well I respect the capitalist model of business, I don't think there is anything wrong with people wanting to have a niche product that kind of defines their sport as well. There is a good argument to made for both. My only concern would be with growth comes growing pains and it is not uncommon to see these small companies that expand market share struggle to provide the same high quality that people have become accustom to.

Tim,

IMO I think Porsche has changed the image of their brand by offering those other models, I think its smart business, but changes them none the less. I don't think of them as a high end sports car maker anymore.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-25-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Wet Sounds is in the business of making money - not being cool to a small niche wake market of snobby elitests like us.
Old     (philwsailz)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-25-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
Are you guys bashing Tim for growing his company really going to stand by your comments?? REALLY???

While Tim and I are competitors, we are friends, and I am disappointed to have to read this stuff. I say Kudos to TIm.

Good job friend, and congratulations!

Phil
Kicker

now the rest of you bozos go out and buy some Kicker KM6500.2 HLCDs already...
(Had to Tim!)
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       08-25-2011, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by philwsailz View Post
Are you guys bashing Tim for growing his company really going to stand by your comments?? REALLY???

While Tim and I are competitors, we are friends, and I am disappointed to have to read this stuff. I say Kudos to TIm.

Good job friend, and congratulations!

Phil
Kicker

now the rest of you bozos go out and buy some Kicker KM6500.2 HLCDs already...
(Had to Tim!)
this.

some real short sighted people on here..

or 18 year olds.. One or the other.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-25-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
Money is Money and if he is doing good in the economy all power to him. Keep up the awesome work.

On another note why hasn't Malibu or Nautique gone to Wetsounds? there stock stereo systems don't do the boats justice for the price you pay. You would think the best companys want the best stereo too.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-25-2011, 2:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
this.

some real short sighted people on here..

or 18 year olds.. One or the other.
Short sighted how about you read a book or gets some real world experieince w/business.
Old     (kinger)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-25-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
Different business models for different businesses...no problem with that just saying doesn't always work out like that.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2011, 12:42 PM Reply   
J. Bob you still have em on your vespa?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2011, 1:28 PM Reply   
I think we know that Tim makes a good product and this is a business decision to make more money. I say props for that too. I do however tend to agree with what ixfe and a few others have said..... Here is the way I think of it:

The thing that made Wetsounds good is it was a great product and not everyone had it. People wanted to show off to others they have the best product on the lake so they buy it and show it off. It may or may not be the best product in the world, but that is part of the perception. It is exclusive, high end, quality.......
When everyone on the lake with bayliners, jetski's, etc show up with the same gear you are going to start dissociating with those people that want the high end more exclusive equipment. You will slowly push your "core" retailers off in other directions and they will start going to brands that will still give them exclusivity and better yet margin.

I think this is a great short term spark to the business and will grow the business exponentially, but long term I think it will help out other high end brands like Exile, etc....... Look at all the companies that have done this.... Paul Mitchell, Pioneer, and all the brands that IXFE posted above.

With that being said, I would probably do the same thing that Tim is doing, but long term it will probably change the perception of what his company is. Yes he will still make money and good speakers and in fact more money, but will probably lose his "core" customers in the process. Just my 2 cents and maybe I am far off, but there is plenty of case study in the marketing world to support it.

Regardless it is a business decision congrats!

Last edited by tyler97217; 08-25-2011 at 1:31 PM.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       08-25-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
Axis offers a full wetsounds system (including 485's) as soundpack iii for 2012... Some brands are listening.
Old     (atlmobiuslsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-28-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattwake View Post
Axis offers a full wetsounds system (including 485's) as soundpack iii for 2012... Some brands are listening.
the only issue I have with this is as a dealer is when you flood the oem market with these elite products you will then drive out your local dealers which are the ones that brought you to the top. I can say that beyond the way they sound the largest allure from my customers is that they have are exclusive and not everyone will have them.
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 2:41 PM Reply   
Vespa, hell no. 88 honda spree.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-25-2011, 2:42 PM Reply   
Tim, congrats for making a great product and selling it! Keep it up!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-25-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
Exclusive brand marketing and posturing in a market as small as marine audio? When its openly sold on the internet? Oops. Too late. The net effect is the same when the Yamaha consumer goes out and purchases Wetsounds aftermarket. And they do frequently. What exactly would be accomplished by excluding the Yamaha manufacturer.
Cobalt is an I/O and not a true towboat but Sampson (same product as Exile) sells to Cobalt. Believe me when I say that Exile/Sampson would jump on that Yamaha relationship in a heartbeat. Same with Sea Ray, Regal and countless other I/Os.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-25-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
Yo, make your money! Too bad these days that, that is what its all about. Sometimes you just got to go with it. Especially when Benjamins are involved
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-25-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
I wish I could jump on Dave.......
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2011, 4:47 PM Reply   
David,
Please re-read my post. Again, I am supporting him and I am merely stating the principles of Marketing. I am not bashing and supporting Exile at all. My guess is you will be one of the first to leave the bandwagon of selling this exclusive high end brand when people can buy it at Best Buy and other places and your margin goes bye bye. You are one of the people that will be most affected by his decision. I am sure you are bright enough to have thought that through cause I guarantee you many of his other dealers are thinking about this long term.

Again.... He is doing the exact same thing I would do and I am sure the same thing Exile would do. We are all business people. This will take years to develop, but if history repeats itself this direction will make Wetsounds a household brand in wake boats, cars, low end boats, etc...... That is awesome for Tim. I am just stating principal... I will state it for you again..... Good job and I would do the same.....
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-25-2011, 4:58 PM Reply   
Oops David has chimed in and now its a party. David would bullet jump on an oem deal with yamaha? Since you are their online mouthpiece would you let them, that really wouldn't be good for you.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       08-25-2011, 5:29 PM Reply   
I know it's my website and all, but the audio wars and the players involved on WakeWorld are sooooooooo lame and, quite frankly, embarassing!

Tim, congrats on the deal with Yamaha, as well as the rest of your success. You really are a success story for not only the wake industry, but businesses in any industry. I'm always amazed at the pace at which businesses like yours relentlessly push to make your products better and more affordable. You've been so successful that you could afford to sit on your butt a little bit, but you never do. As a small business owner myself, I can really appreciate how hard that is! Kudos!
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-25-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
Diggs,
Now Best Buy would be a little different so I agree with that distinction. If you don't have any specializartion or know how to bring to the party then it would quickly become a price issue only as the product would have to conform to price points that would sell on their own. Not a value-driven environment.

NuBu,
In fact, Bullet HollowPoint does have several OEM boat relationships.

But these are actually different channels of distribution.
In reality very few boat dealers like to elevate the cost of their inventory by loading the boats up with expensive accessories from the factory. Its puts them at a competitive disadvantage against competing brands that may be leaner. Financing is a little more difficult for add-ons these days. They also don't care to tie up their valuable capital with a stockroom full of merchandise that they are not well equipped to sell and install. They don't want slow turning merchandise and they don't want to be bogged down in the peak months with stereo/electronics stuff when they are busy rigging new boats for delivery. They would rather add the accessories when and if there is a consumer need and often depend on local operations for this. Stereo is such a minor portion of any boat dealer's business that there is no way to become proficient at it, especially in a highly seasonal business. A moblie electronics dealer who does the same service for multiple dealers is far more efficient. I'm sure it varies by market.

Other than that I'm just trying to get my post count up.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (apwrx)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-25-2011, 8:58 PM Reply   
I worry more long term about the "masses" finding out and buying these top brands and blasting them all over the lake. I imagine before to long there will be noise pollution laws and the advantage of these speakers will be gone....
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-25-2011, 9:04 PM Reply   
Tim,

Congrats on a huge win. Although I'm not a Yamaha jet boat fan, they are quickly becoming one of the best sellers in the 19-24 foot boat space. If your thinking they don't make a 19ft boat check out their new 190 models. Yamaha is constantly innovating their product year after year and understand the value customer. The performance of Wetsound products speak for themselves. Again, congrats and thank you for putting out a great product.
Old    mojo            08-28-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
honestly, why would you care what other person has wet souds on their boat or other vehicle? if the brand was called "speakers for moronic guys with bad hearing" i'd still purchase wet sounds given they produced the same product. just like i'd take a barbie pink nautique 210 if the boat was the same. function over form and perception all the way.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-28-2011, 7:27 PM Reply   
to DBC and others who agree... (yes, that rhymes...sweet huh?)

I agree with you about why Mossimo is not "cool" anymore. Its the same thing that happened to volcom. I worked at a popular skate shop for a few years in the late 90s and Volcom was the brand that only the "people who know" would buy. They had their team sticker stone that only sponsored riders would get, or friends of theirs. then they decided to branch out and be sold at any and all "skate" style shops, mervyns, targets...etc. We, the "people who know", stopped wearing/liking that company because they were not cool anymore, so we looked to other brands, smaller, less known.

Where your analogy fails (in my opinion) is that volcom was/is shirts, shorts, pants, hats, belts and accessories, and snow gear. The snow gear was crappy at first, then later on became par for the course, the t shirts are just t shirts, same as the shorts and hats and pants...etc. They were NEVER the "best" quality or designs. Wetsounds, however, IS quality audio. It is the best of the best, whether its in an Axis, or a Yamaha, it is an excellent product. So Volcom lost most of us "cool guys" when it grew and went more mainstream, but it gained a ton of new customers and is still very successful for it. (shaun white comes to mind, hes always been volcom and he is "cool"). volcom doesnt miss me or my friends, we were such a small demographic. This is true with us, the wakeboarder. We are one of the tiniest demo, so if Tim "looses" us as customers by "selling out" to the mainstream, it means practically nothing. WS is more than a "brand" like mossimo or volcom, it is a quality product that even if branded differently, it will still be quality, and thats what matters when you are talking about speakers.

Tim, congrats, put your stuff in auto zone or walmart. I will still buy it because I think its the best. If quality suffers, then I will go to something else... pretty sure with this move you will be able to improve and innovate at a greater pace and bring it to my boat for a smaller price.

Last edited by johnny_defacto; 08-28-2011 at 7:30 PM. Reason: type-o
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-29-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
I agree with you about why Mossimo is not "cool" anymore. Where your analogy fails (in my opinion).... .
Yeah, the Mossimo analogy is not the greatest. Afterall, it's clothing. How many other brands have followed the same cycle (thanks for adding Volcom). It is very hard for clothing to stay "cool." It's weird, the minute the company gets what they've been dreaming of (market share), the customers turn on it and decide it's no longer cool. It's like success is poison to the brand. Strange business.

Look, all I was trying to explore was the correlation between sales channels and brand value/perception. I actually thought my other examples were better (go back and read them).

I think the part where I was off was to assume that WetSounds was a brand name that was at one time exclusive to wakeboats. I now know that was never the case. WetSounds have been OEM equipment on Chaparall, Crownline, Sea Hunter, Monterey, etc. for years. Think about it... those guys offered WS from the factory before Tige, MB, Axis, and Epic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_defacto View Post
pretty sure with this move you will be able to improve and innovate at a greater pace and bring it to my boat for a smaller price.
We can hope, right? But I'm not counting on it.
Old    mojo            08-29-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Volcom is owned by gucci now I believe
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2011, 7:18 AM Reply   
I would have to say congrats to tim and wet sounds, its a great deal for both of them.

I am probably one of the first people to build a full wet sounds system in my yamaha, and many others have used my build thread over on yamahajetboaters.com to build there wet sounds systems since. My main concern with doing a system was the charging system in these boats is weak. After much talk with David at earmark, and wet sounds I put it all together and it works fantastic.

As much as I want a true wake boat, I cant afford one yet, and the Yamaha allows us to enjoy all water sports, including surfing, until we can step up to a nicer boat. Its also known that Yamaha has quickly become one of the best selling boats in America, so I can only see positive things for wet sounds.

As long as wet sounds continues to turn out high quality products, and not cheapen there products they will be fine.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-01-2011, 7:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
I am probably one of the first people to build a full wet sounds system in my yamaha...

As much as I want a true wake boat, I cant afford one yet.

I think the first statement disproves the second one.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2011, 7:33 AM Reply   
really how so??
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-01-2011, 7:37 AM Reply   
If you can afford to deck out your Yamaha with a full Wetsounds system, you can afford a v-drive. Maybe not a brand new one. Maybe not the one of your dreams. But used v-drives are not that expensive. And Yamahas + full wetsounds systems are not that cheap.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2011, 8:04 AM Reply   
lets see, I am not a fan of buying used power toys, because most people dont take care of there stuff properly, so I prefer to buy new, or maybe a year or 2 old. My yamaha I bought new 35k out the door in 09. I I have about 2500 in wet sounds gear all installed by myself.

A new wake boat is 65 - 75k. used maybe 55k and up. When I buy an inboard, I'm going to buy what I want. I also dont want to take a loan out for 10years, by the time you pay it off, you need a new one.

Theres a huge price spread there..
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-01-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Uhmmm, you can get a new boat for 37.5k. This was the first boat that came to mind and msrp says 39k, I would be willing to bet some dealer would come down. And cash does have some talking value.

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/200...k-v-2010/:eek:

Who's next with another?
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       09-01-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
Quote:
A new wake boat is 65 - 75k. used maybe 55k and up. When I buy an inboard, I'm going to buy what I want...
Only the Big 3 cost that much. Lots of brands cost way less than that brand new: Moomba, Axis, Sanger, Supreme, MB, etc.

I think it's odd that you'd rather buy a new boat that you don't want instead of a used boat that you do.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-02-2011, 5:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixfe View Post
I think it's odd that you'd rather buy a new boat that you don't want instead of a used boat that you do.
Exactly. I can't even begin to think of a logical reason here.

As for staying on topic, If anyone will no longer buy a WetSounds product because their now OEM for Yamaha....well that makes that person an idiot. This notion of having speakers on the lake that nobody else has and if they become popular with other boats makes them no longer 'cool' is also foolish. Sounds like high school kids talking about a pair of shoes or some ****.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-02-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
Personally, I would never join any club that would have me.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-01-2011, 2:39 PM Reply   
J. Bob - can't see what boat you have listed there but does it include a double axle trailer in that price?
Old     (joebob)      Join Date: Jan 2011       09-01-2011, 3:05 PM Reply   
Try this.

http://waterskimag.com/ski-boats/200...utback-v-2010/
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-02-2011, 6:51 AM Reply   
well to be honest, I"m just an ok wakeboarder, and Didn't discover wakesurfing untill after I bought my boat. So now that I am in to wake surfing big and enjoy wake boarding, I want to get a more dedicated boat. I live in cincinnati ohio, and the only inboard dealers locally sell malibu, and mastercraft. There used to be a moomba dealer but they closed. So its hard to find any inboards that aren't the big 3 around here.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            09-02-2011, 6:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
well to be honest, I"m just an ok wakeboarder, and Didn't discover wakesurfing untill after I bought my boat. So now that I am in to wake surfing big and enjoy wake boarding, I want to get a more dedicated boat. I live in cincinnati ohio, and the only inboard dealers locally sell malibu, and mastercraft. There used to be a moomba dealer but they closed. So its hard to find any inboards that aren't the big 3 around here.
There any down in kentucky or tennessee? With lake cumberland, norris, dale hollow etc I would think someone has to sell them. Theyre only a hop skip and jump away. I know there as of last summer was a supra dealer in cincy attached to a friend of mines wakeboard shop.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-02-2011, 7:27 AM Reply   
Boatworks in Louisville sells axis now
Old    mojo            09-02-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
Actually, most nautique owners take beyond good care of their boats. I agree with the bad logic. That said, I'm excited to see what wet sounds has planned for their new products.
Old     (johnny_jr)      Join Date: Mar 2006       09-02-2011, 9:43 AM Reply   
Can't we all just get along. Why bash someone for the choice they made. Shut I have done similar, he wanted a new boat and bought one. I promise you that his 39K Yamaha has more options then the Moomba posted above. Not to mention more room, storage and speed. To some these items may take a back seat to a core wake boat, but for others it does not. To each his own, do as you please as long as you are happy with your decision.

As for the WS business model........ WELL DONE AND KEEP IT UP!!!
Old    mojo            09-02-2011, 10:30 AM Reply   
I would love to see some generic h20 proof boxes from wet sounds.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-02-2011, 12:39 PM Reply   
The folks that have bashed WS for selling out...how many here have stood up to their beliefs, opinions, comments and sold their boats and bought a more exclusive boat, like an EPIC because their boat's manufacturer have "sold out"?

Prime example - Mastercraft is selling to the salt water crowd (CSX series) and the rich (300 series). Not to say that your X-Star is cheap by any means. Do you really think Mastercraft created the 300 series or the CSX series to appeal to the hardcore wakeboarder crowd, hoping that they have graduated to the next level and can afford a 300 now or decided to go wakeboarding in salt water now???

Moomba has how many different models in their line up? How many different series does Malibu, Mastercraft, Nautique, Sanger, etc. have and how many models in each series? They all want to attract paying customers to their brand so they can be profitable and continue to grow their business.

J. bob - Regarding price comparison, you should compare standard features between the manufacturers. You'd have to add these options on the Moomba Outback V to compare with any new 2012 Yamaha boat. That $38.5k was in 2010, what's 2012 MSRP now?

On the Moomba Outback V - you can't have the standard engine in CA, you need a Catalytic Converter - additional cost. Depth finder - additional cost, not even a standard radio on a $38.5k boat - additional cost, satelitte radio - additional cost. Bimini - additional cost, double axle trailer - required in CA for loads over 3000lbs - additional cost, swing away tongue - additional cost, bow filler cushiion - additional cost. All these are standard features on any new 2012 Yamaha.

Believe me, I'm definitely not trying to promote the Yamaha to anyone, it's selling like hot cake as is.