Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old     (yeaitsmemarc)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-17-2003, 7:50 PM Reply   
I've seen booms on Direct drive boats, but would a boom on a V-drive work? I guess you could put it on the small pylon in the back?? Anyone ever try this? Anyone recomend a boom? Thanx!
-Marc, NJ
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-18-2003, 12:19 AM Reply   
Mike Siepel's "Barefoot International" is a good beefy one. You would need to extend the cables that clip to the front eye at the bow of the boat, maybe with some climbing webbing and carbiners or an added section of cable. Of greater concern, I think the angle might be wrong. Normally on a direct drive, the boom bolts to the pylon pretty close to the floor, and that causes it to angle upward as it extends outward. If you try to clamp it on a V-drive pylon, the point of attachment will be pretty high up, which is likely to make the boom point down toward the water as it extends out. Not only will it be too low for a rider to hang onto, but much worse, it may dig in the water as you make a left turn and the boat leans to the port side. I promise, you do not want this to happen, it can trigger a very bad sequence of events. We were young and crazy back then and got off on crashing sh*t and tearing sh*t up, but digging the boom on a left hand turn at full speed was a mistake we only made once and were careful never to repeat. If you move forward with this idea, make sure you rig the boom somehow so it angles up toward the sky at least 20 degrees, preferably more, as it extends out from the side of the boat. If you can be clever and figure it out, it might be well worth it. Booms can be pretty fun and a great training tool, especially for kids, because you can cheer them on and talk to them face to face as you offer instruction and work on getting them into the proper body position. Good luck.
Old    bobbymucic            09-18-2003, 6:01 AM Reply   
I think that there are booms specific for V-drives.

http://www.seattlewatersports.com/smlocal/product.asp?pf_id=608

Do these not work out well?
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-18-2003, 6:27 AM Reply   
Barefoot International does make V-drive specific booms.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-20-2003, 11:58 AM Reply   
Here is a pic of a boom for a V-Drive. Hope Todd doesn't mind me using a pic of his boat which is for sale in the WW classifieds.Good Luck....
V-Drive Boom
Old     (parkcityxj)      Join Date: Mar 2001       09-20-2003, 12:18 PM Reply   
I thinks he's talking about a barefoot boom similar to this, not a pylon.
boom
Old    nick360            09-20-2003, 7:12 PM Reply   
The Barefoot International v-drive boom works great. I had a good friend who ran a wakeboard/ski school with his 21v Riders Edition and he used it almost every day to teach kids (and uncoordinated adults) how to get up. The only thing you might have to do is order a new ski pylon from Supra. If I remember correctly, the v-drive boom requires that you have a minimum of 4" of flat pylon to mount it to (this obviously does not include the tapered part of the pylon). I'm just not familiar with the SSV pylon.

It definately works great though, you should check it out.

Here is a direct link to Barefoot Interantional. http://www.barefootinternational.com/bi-booms.htm

Old     (yeaitsmemarc)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-21-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
Thanx for all the help
-Marc