Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                07-30-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
I can ride swith, do a surface 180, and ollie 180 and now i wanna try a HS 180. I've tried it but i always land on my back.Any suggestions?
THANX
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-30-2003, 4:25 PM Reply   
Jump first, then pull the handle to turn yourself. Land with it by your back pocket.
Old                07-30-2003, 4:29 PM Reply   
Definitely over-emphasize leaning onto your toeside edge. If you lean on your toeside edge and hold on firmly to the handle near your back pocket, you will stick the landing. Also, keep your eyes on the horizon and don't look down.
Old     (airbesar)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-30-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
I'm not a very good boarder but what helps me to come down on top of the board, or even a little further forward to get on the toeside edge as Shane points out, is to try some grabs anywhere on the front of the board while doing a regular HS w2w jump. This forces you to get your body forward and over your board a bit. This also gets you all ready to add that grab once you're landing the 180. Good luck.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-30-2003, 5:52 PM Reply   
another trick i was taught is to roll your handle hand over, so that the handle is pointing at the water (instead of parallel to it). this rolls your shoulders forward as you land and helps keep your weight going forward.

also, according to the higher learning section in wakeboarding mag, don't pull the handle - just move it. moving it from side to side is what changes your body position. on a 180 there's no need to advance to the handle (since you're not making a behind-the-back handle-pass), and that would just get you off-balance anyways.

good luck!
Old                07-30-2003, 9:01 PM Reply   
Thanx guys i'll give it a shot this weekend,hope it's glass.
Old                07-31-2003, 11:48 AM Reply   
J.Baxter - I remember exactly what I did to nail 180s (huge) both switch HS and regular HS in less than an hour...

Step 1) ollie 180s
Step 2) inside-out wake 180s
Step 3) one wake 180s
Step 4) w2w 180s

Do 5 of each step (or until you're comfortable) then go to the next one. My guess you'll have it all nailed in a couple of runs.

Believe it or not, it gets easier and easier the bigger you go. You'll nail this much quicker than you think. The more pop you get, the more time you have to rotate and prep for the landing. It's all about leaving the wake with a strong body position then moving the handle left or right to rotate.

Not hard at all... go for it!