Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (connerthurston)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-24-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
i have heard odds and ends on which style and type of riding are better. i personally think boat. thats where this sport started. i love riding cable but boat is my favorite

im bored and need something to talk about!
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-24-2009, 11:13 AM Reply   
Why not both?
Old     (connerthurston)      Join Date: Jun 2008       03-24-2009, 11:16 AM Reply   
which do you ride more often?
Old     (rhys84)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-24-2009, 11:22 AM Reply   
i LOVE riding behind the boat but find it expensive here in the UK, so will probably start riding cable a lot more so can get more time boarding!
Old     (mkrueger313)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-24-2009, 11:42 AM Reply   
you cant beat a wake boat full of beers and blondes
Old     (tcaz)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-24-2009, 12:25 PM Reply   
Why would you start this thread? It's like asking MC or Natique, flex or non-flex, CGA or NCGA, etc etc.

I foresee popcorn images about 100 posts from now.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2009, 12:54 PM Reply   
Nick Davies has grossed the gap... he kills it on both, but even if he is riding on a boat it looks like cable riding.

Personally I think boat riding is better to watch
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-24-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
I didn't know you could wakeboard behind a boat
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-24-2009, 1:02 PM Reply   
^ haha, oh boy.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-24-2009, 1:09 PM Reply   
Cable is easier on the body. Which is important when you're 53.:-)
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       03-24-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
The best riders can do both, and don't complain about the other!
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-24-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
I'm serious. I want to see a picture of this so called "wakeboarding behind a boat"
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-24-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
it's not really a cable v boat argument.

i think the heart of the matter is how well people ride their wakeboards.

some riders are very strong, and man-handle the rope to get tricks done.

other riders have a lot of finese, perfectly matching their board to the water/wake, etc...ankle movement and stance is vital.

a rider like parks is so rare because he does both things so well.

arguably, davis and kenney are/were not at the same level as parks, because they overly relied on rope tension (cable upbringing)

I think a lot of cable riders focus more on the physical nature and line tension while boat riders are more of a mixture of finese and physcial ability.

many newer riders that get good quick (usually because they are extremely strong) lack style because they don't actually ride the board all that well.

the best riders can ride mutliple boards well...skateboard, surboard, snowboard, all that don't involve a rope.
Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-24-2009, 2:25 PM Reply   
Cable is better. I have been riding boat all of my life, riding cable for about 6 months. Cable is better.
Old     (luke_j)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-24-2009, 2:35 PM Reply   
charles, before boat wakes got really big, everything was done on line tension. And I wouldn't say they cable riders rely on line tension, but have learned how to beat it. When you're doing anything that involves a handle pass or lots of handle movement, tension instantly becomes your enemy. Raley based tricks, obviously, use the tension to pull you forward, then give you a lever to pull yourself down. But tricks like Nick D's Air KGB 5, you need to load the line like crazy, then advance on it enough to pass it around your body. The tension is not something to rely to get trick done that you would otherwise not be able to do, rather, it is a side affect of edging so hard to get lift off of flat water, and you have to overcome it way more on cable. Point in focus: I can do hochie glides all day behind boat and off kickers, but for the life of me cannot keep the board close enough to grab when I do air tricks on cable. It takes so much strength on top of you technique to master air tricks
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-24-2009, 6:46 PM Reply   
I'm with proses CABLE!!!!
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-24-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
cable for me, saves on gas :-)
Old     (tommmyd)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-25-2009, 1:08 AM Reply   
CABLE when you can, BOAT when you can! No more posts on this one! :-)
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-25-2009, 7:34 AM Reply   
I think cable riders on a whole can switch over to the boat easier than boat rides can switch over to the cable. Cable riders normally have a much better understanding of line load, riding switch, landing blind, etc. on average as compared to regular boat riders.
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2009, 9:27 AM Reply   
its called wakeboarding for a reason. There should always be a wake involved.
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       03-26-2009, 5:25 AM Reply   
Cable all day better for the earth.... But its good to go to the boat every now and then
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-26-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
really? we are gonna go there? your pulling the "environmental" card.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-26-2009, 9:06 AM Reply   
You're pulling the wake card, so why not?
Old    wakeboardpunk17            03-26-2009, 9:29 AM Reply   
Im a cable operator and a cable rider so I spend more time on the cable than you can imagine and in the past year have learned alot about it. First off lets look at some of the guys who are killing it that got started on the cable adam errington for sure got his start from owc and then switched to boat riding, jimmy lariche was a rixen kid and got crazy good on the cable before he switched to boat and made a name for himself, nick davies who im personal friends with is blowing up on boat, with out a doubt will land a 10 behind boat if hed actually try one. Not to mention other guys like clay fletcher, brian reeder, chris law, keith lidberg all come from a strong cable background. Im sure there are many others but im a little biased as seeing as how im from owc. What Im getting at is cable riding definately strengthens your boat riding in soo many aspects. Ive seen guys go from riding cable all the time to boat(like myself) like it was nothing. The progression rate is crazy. This doesnt hold true for boat riders coming to the cable, ive seen some of the best boat riders in the world come to owc and you would never know these guys kill it behind boat. I dont know what it is, maybe its the cable tension, the ghetto handles, or choppy water but in the long run I strongly feel us cable riders are better off in the long run, assuming we switch over to boat at some point.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       03-27-2009, 5:31 PM Reply   
I agree .... I feel like I am a fairly advanced rider behind a boat. Rode the cable a few times and feel like a definate amateur. The crappy handles and the walk back suck also.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-29-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
wow

"arguably, davis and kenney are/were not at the same level as parks, because they overly relied on rope tension (cable upbringing)

I think a lot of cable riders focus more on the physical nature and line tension while boat riders are more of a mixture of finese and physcial ability. "

I couldnt disagree more, in fact i think your underlying logic is all wrong. The fact that cable riders understand line tension so well is a huge advantage for riding anything, be it boat, cable winch or whatever. Not only that but edge control, riding switch and regular.

Im not bashing boat riders I think both aspects of the sport rock but cable riders have mad style and finnesse. To say or imply a rider like Nick Davies relies on strength alone is pretty crazy if you have ever seen him ride cable or boat. That guy is as precise as soven with a cubic truckload more style
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-30-2009, 10:12 AM Reply   
When watching a video i get stoked with both the cable and boat. Boat riders in my opinion have more style perhaps that is default of timeline of the sport and quantity of cable parks.

But if this is a question of which is more fun that is purely perspective.

- Tons of riding and rails go to a cable park.

- Riding and close quarters with hot bikini chicks the boat for sure.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-30-2009, 10:52 AM Reply   
For christ's sake, another post like this.

If you like cable, great.
If you like boat, great.
If you like CC, great.
If you like MC, great.
If you like flex, great.
If you don't, great.
If you wear CGA, great.
If you wear NCGA, great.

WW needs to have a new classifications for posts like these. Instead Wakeboard Discussion or Boat Discussion they need a need category for these 3rd grade shenanigans and pi$$ing contests.

Nothing ever happens.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-30-2009, 11:06 AM Reply   
mark...i still disagree. mastery of line tension is a must, but the difference in style is noticeable. you can easily tell that davies was a dedicated cable rider before moving to the boat.

compare the styles of lyman, harris, greenwood, or o'shea to davies. i'm not bashing cable rider's abilities, but I think they overly rely on line tension when performing tricks. it's a different arc, a different feel...and when most people list their most stylish riders, it's not the riders who look like cable riders behind the boat. it's riders who boot like they are snowboarders as opposed to cir de soleil performers.

ps. i really enjoy cable and wish we had one in the northeast.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-30-2009, 11:53 AM Reply   
I dunno... Cirque du Soleil sounds pretty stylish to me.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-30-2009, 12:05 PM Reply   
were talking about which you like better WAKEBOARDING behind a cable or WAKEBOARDING behind a boat. for some reason that sounds alot to me like a discussion about wakeboarding, which would lead me to believe that wakeboarding discussion would be the right place for the thread.

connorthurston started the thread because he wanted peoples opinions and now that people are giving their opinions you are angry and want them to start a whole new classification? forums are places where people go to talk, there's no reason to read what they have to say if you don't want to.

that being said, i like watching kickers and rails on cable but i think air tricks look stupid.
i would rather watch boat, although i've never rode a cable so i couldn't say which i like to do better.
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       03-30-2009, 1:33 PM Reply   
The ONLY THING that needs to end on CABLE AND BOAT is tick-tocking your tricks. This is the one thing that I hate when watching Nick Davies ride. When you land your trick, STICK IT, don't hop back the very second you hit the water. Personally, I think it has developed as a bad habit for him, and I know that he can stick the trick fine, but just tick tocks everything and it is annoying, mainly because every kid on the cable wants to tick tock now, and they look retarded doing it. *end rant* Cable is better :-)
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-30-2009, 7:07 PM Reply   
ha ha, i kinda get what u mean dude, having said that watching Nick Davies tick tock out of a massive dub s to blind still blows my mind. Its almost supernatural control and timing.

Charles well have to agree to disagree. I think it primarily stems from a POV disagreement. I ride cable a hell of a lot more than boat (although I learned on boat). So to me I see riders with loads of style that I love everytime I ride with my crew, and also when I watch the pro cable riders rip it up. In terms of rail style, cable riders shred boat riders, which is to be expected. Things like massive tweaked glides, floaty double grabbed 3 and 5's. Huge late BS 1's. These things are done with insane style by cablers.

Anyway I respect your opinion and I do agree with you in one sense, cable style is different to boat style. I just dont think boat style is inherently better in any way. Just different.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       03-31-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
No, dnp33, I'm not angry, I just don't see what this accomplishes. If I say I like boat better, does that make me wrong? Or if I say I like cable better does that make me wrong? If I say they both suck compared to tubing, does that make me wrong? And it would be different if this was a new topic, but just about everyday there is a post in which people slam cable or vice versa. Just like all of the nonsense about the financial woes of the boat companies on the boat discussion board.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-01-2009, 7:03 AM Reply   
Jeremy... No, No, and Yes.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-01-2009, 7:15 AM Reply   
i wasn't necessarily pulling the environmental card....but the money card :-)

i barely go wake to wake behind a boat and i have massive respect for anyone who rides boat, i just happen to like riding cable much more.
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-01-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
i guess i wasn't aware that this topic was meant to accomplish anything. i posted with the impression that it was a discussion, and people would say how they feel about things without worrying about being right or wrong.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       04-02-2009, 4:55 AM Reply   
I like cable more, mainly because that's what I learned on. I was already doing raley's, raley to blind, br's, front to fakie, roll 2 blind before I ever rode behind a boat. I was able to land most of my tricks and land them behind the boat first day out. I see a lot of good boat riders come out to the cable and they look complete amatueres. They get frustrated and say cable sucks because they can't pick it up right away...