Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 06, 2008

Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-25-2008, 7:48 PM Reply   
Oh my.

MasterCraft and Walter N. Meloon Family Jointly Announce The Opening of a New Central Florida Dealership

September 25, 2008

MasterCraft and the Walter N. Meloon family announce a new dealership for the Central Florida market. MasterCraft has joined forces with Walter N. Meloon, of the famed marine industry family, to open MasterCraft of Orlando, a full sales and service facility that will offer the entire MasterCraft product line.
The Meloons recently sold their shares in Correct Craft, the manufacturing company built by their family, and will reopen the site of their former dealership, Southeast Correct Craft, as the new MasterCraft of Orlando. The family’s long-term desire is to continue their stellar dealership tradition since 1972 of sales and service of high quality inboard wakeboard and waterski boats in the market, and is pleased by the exciting new dealership affiliation with MasterCraft.

“In the many years we were in the marketplace with MasterCraft, we were always aware of their strong commitment to quality and product innovation,” says Walt Meloon, owner of MasterCraft of Orlando. “As we analyzed the various options available to us in light of our recent sale, we felt we had an outstanding, win-win opportunity to partner with an industry leader like MasterCraft and firmly believe we have tremendous opportunity to gain market share. Over the years, we have built a dedicated reputation based on taking good care of our valued customers and servicing their boating needs. We are very enthusiastic about continuing this same high level of commitment and in providing superior sales and service for MasterCraft customers.”

Scott Crutchfield, senior vice president of worldwide sales for MasterCraft, agrees. “When we were in the initial talks with Walt, it was always about two main things. How do we bring the MasterCraft reputation of quality, innovation, service and integrity into the Orlando marketplace, and how do we gain a competitive advantage in such a crowded yet important market? Walt came to the table with a proven history of being able to deliver a world class consumer experience and, based on their tremendous history, have an inherent advantage to take over and absolutely dominate the marine market in Orlando.”
“We have enjoyed a great history in Central Florida, but we are totally focused on the future,” added Walt Meloon. ”We have very aggressive plans for the market and look forward to maximizing the brand power of MasterCraft and the quality of products to benefit boaters here.”

MasterCraft of Orlando is located at 7576 South Orange Avenue, Orlando, FL and is due to officially open for business upon new product delivery.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-25-2008, 7:51 PM Reply   
Oh, love to hear the back story to that.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-25-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
Who did the Meloons sell CC to?
Old     (justridin)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-25-2008, 9:51 PM Reply   
Wow. That is a good one. This should make for good reading.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2008, 5:50 AM Reply   
Isn't it kind of a stab into the back of one of their top dealers, Liquid Sports?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-26-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
The Meloons have finally seen the light.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-26-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
founding family of CC sells all and switches to MC. Now that is a good story.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-26-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
i got torn apart for saying this like a week ago on the SAN thread..... i tell ya what
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-26-2008, 7:57 AM Reply   
Yeah, what happens to Liquid Sports Marine?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-26-2008, 8:46 AM Reply   
Nick you were correct, I was wrong.
I knew Walt sold his shares of CC, but I was wrong when I said Walt was not going into business with Mastercraft obviously he is.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-26-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
¡Viva 205V!
Old    K.B.C.            09-26-2008, 9:47 AM Reply   
This is what was posted in another thread in wake discussion. Too bad really...

"The Meloons still own 49% of the CC company...

This particular Soap Opera is because the Meloons' dealership in Orlanda was shut down by the new majority shareholder because the Meloons' never had an operating agreement with themselves. As a result they are pissed off and opened a MC dealership. It all boils down to some snot nose entitled kids of the founder taking what was given to them for granted and pissing it away.

So much for a family legacy and for "Parting the Waters".

Looks like Sanger is the last family owned and operated mainstream wakeboarding boat company"
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-26-2008, 9:55 AM Reply   
that is sad
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-26-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
How many freaking MC dealerships are there going to be in central florida? Ocala has one that is only a year old, BAWS in Tampa thats been around forever now two in Orlando or are they going to AX Liquid. Wonder what MC is thinking. Lots of changes here in Central FL. Land O Lake Marine had their BU dealership yanked and Fortes took it over which will do a phenominal job with that line Dom is great.
Old     (boom)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
Basically this is what's going on:

Meloon's owned S.E. CC would sell a boat for much less than they would let their dealers sell their boats for. They didn't follow their own guidelines set in place to protect their dealers (like terrority restrictions, minimum sale price etc. ) when the new owners bought them out they refused to sign a non-compete, and when all this came to a head, when the new owners took SE CC and gave it to their sales manager (Jeff) and as a act I can only see as aggression, the Meloons signed to sell Mastercrafts in CC's home market.

Mastercraft saw it as an opportunity to say that a 80+ year old family boat manufacturer (of one of the top 3 in the industry) is deciding to sell mastercraft, then it should speak volumes about the quality of CC. They are trying to claim that the maloons are now saying that Mastercraft is a better product.
(David F is saying exactly what Mastercraft is hoping people would say)

To me, it says that the Maloons are very pissed off at the new owners and are trying to be spiteful. What's wierd is that LIquid sports is not a dealer in Orlando and Winter Haven anymore - but they still have Jacksonville territory.

Time will tell how this plays out.

(Message edited by boom on September 26, 2008)
Old     (boom)      Join Date: Sep 2008       09-26-2008, 10:18 AM Reply   
Also.. .based on how CW is selling boats on ebay (for at or less than cost) who knows how long they will still be a dealer....

It may end up being:

Liquid in Jax
Meloons in Orlando
BAWS in Tampa
South Florida Mastercraft
and the Naples dealer (gulf shores?)
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-26-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I would love to sit at the Meloon table during Christmas Day dinner...

The Meloon family has spent decades helping out small business owners and teaching them how to do business the "Christian Way", now they throw that all out the window and do something out of spite... It's kind of like Joel Osteen's wife getting arrested for assault! Practice what you preach...literally!
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-26-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Boom
From what I noticed - CW is trying to move a csx on ebay - kind of a tough boat for his area considering he is dead center Florida and that is more of a bay boat.
Mastercraft - Cypress Watersports - you need to add them to the list. Winter Haven.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-26-2008, 11:44 AM Reply   
Wowwee. Perhaps a little too much dilution of the family inheritance.

This should make everybody think about their alliance to boat manufacturers, that Ford/Chevy thing, pro-sports franchises, sneekers and beer. IT'S ALL BUSINESS BABY. Show me the money.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-26-2008, 12:59 PM Reply   
Scott, MB is still family owned.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-26-2008, 1:12 PM Reply   

quote:

By OnlyInboards.com (wakereviews) on Friday, September 26, 2008 - 12:59 pm:

Scott, MB is still family owned.

Actually it's not, Mike made sure to have enough outside ownership held outside the family so that if anything like what happened to his Calabria partnership happens he is still around...it's public record.
Old     (knelems)      Join Date: May 2002       09-26-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
So does CC still have distributers that their dealers buy from or has this disbanded?We bought our boats from SE cc back in 93 & 94 when we were a dealer.All the Meloon family members were conviently the distributers.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-28-2008, 2:31 PM Reply   
http://www.mydeathspace.com/article/2007/11/28/Shelby_Harper_(20)_broke_her_neck_and_was_killed_when_an_intoxic ated_boater_struck_a_dock
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-29-2008, 6:52 AM Reply   
Anyone know what Jeff is doing he was a great guy.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       09-29-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
ORLANDO, FLA (September 24, 2008) – Nautique is pleased to announce the addition of Nautiques of Orlando in Central Florida to its extensive dealer network.

Nautiques of Orlando will focus on satisfying the needs of Orlando’s inboard boat market, offering all customers premium new and used Nautique boats. This dealership will be owned and operated by Jeff Husby, a veteran to the Orlando market and the Nautique brand.

“I am excited about the opportunity to continue my valuable relationship with Nautique. I intend on taking the Nautique brand to a higher level in the Orlando market. We will meet our customer’s needs with a great facility while offering superior service and sales,” commented Jeff Husby.

Nautique’s National Sales Manager, Mike Yauch, added, “We are excited about Nautiques of Orlando opening its doors to the Central Florida community and are confident this dealership will make a great addition to the Nautique family.”

The dealership is located at 2226 Paseo Avenue in Orlando, Florida 32805. It is conveniently positioned just off I-4 south of downtown Orlando.
Old     (dubs_ucla)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-30-2008, 8:04 AM Reply   
Grandpa Meloon is rolling over in his grave...
Old     (miljack)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-30-2008, 8:38 AM Reply   
I think Karen has hit a nail in the head with her comment. Rumor has it that all of the "distributors" of CC's took a percentage of the boats sold in their regions. Apparently no distributor in Texas, therefore the TX dealers were selling more boats than other regions because they could sell for less due to one layer of distribution removed. Remember I said RUMOR>>>
Old     (billhall)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-30-2008, 8:54 AM Reply   
"The Meloon family has spent decades helping out small business owners and teaching them how to do business the "Christian Way""

Right, so that's why in 2005 meloon came to our dealership and said sell more boats and move into a bigger building. And that's why in 2006, after completely renovating our building to accomodate the new, bigger boats, we received a letter saying your contract to sell Correct Craft boats will NOT be renewed.

That is when I lost absolutely every bit of respect for the Meloon family. Don't get me wrong, they built a great boat and I still have one but some of their business practices were getting shady. I know plenty of other dealers who got the letter too and the dealers who didn't get the letter were told to take more inventory and sell more boats.

(Message edited by billhall on September 30, 2008)
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2008, 9:59 AM Reply   
Marketing....If you cannot make money and survive, none of that other stuff matters. I'm sure at some point the "Christian Way" stuff will fall out of the brochure.

The founder's succession plan should have been to sell the business and distribute the proceeds after the 2nd or 3rd generation retired. I'm sure the fighting at the dinner table has been going on for years as the number of decendents grew.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       09-30-2008, 10:23 AM Reply   
I didn't really think the Byerly boat looked very maloon like. I think Correct Craft will be better off without them and it will be interesting to see how Mastercraft deals with someone who is used to calling all of their own shots.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2008, 10:50 AM Reply   
maybe its a huge plot -- "get maloons out" of CC.... get inside at MC and take them out...

its a super secret plan nautique has been working on for years
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-30-2008, 10:53 AM Reply   
Why cant someone sell or make a boat and just leave the religious crap out of it? I mean really - business the "Christian Way"? I guess Christians are the only ones that can afford boats?
Lets hope that infection doesnt make it into the Mastercraft Brochures.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-30-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
If I was any religion other than Christian and I saw that on some company's little mission statement or something it would turn me off so much.... it always seems religious nuts have something to prove
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-30-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
I agree and It's why I dont eat at Chick Filet.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-30-2008, 1:46 PM Reply   
I don't eat at Chick-Fil-a because friends have gotten food poisoning there.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-30-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
Closed on Sundays. You would think as a religious joint the would not sell chicken on Fridays right.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-01-2008, 5:47 AM Reply   
Just make a great product and sell it to consumers. I always find it a turn off when companies appear to minimize their marketing demographic by aligning with one religion or another. The masses usually do not catch it if its subtle enough, but when people actually do research before their purchase (me) its becomes a deciding factor. Push "American Made" if you want to push anything.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2008, 6:02 AM Reply   
Other than not being open on Sundays, which is for the employees because the founder didn't feel his employees should work on Sundays, what does Chick-Fil-a do? There's a lot of places closed on Sundays.
Old     (wmk)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-01-2008, 6:07 AM Reply   
Why is this such a surprise? Despite all of the factors that led up to the change for Southeast CC, what would you expect them to do when correct craft pulls their line and gives it to the former Sales manager and his partners. Of course they are going to take on a new line to keep their doors open. It's good business sense regardless if spite is involved. I do regret not purchasing a new boat while this was happening as they were basically giving inventory away.

It sounds like Mastercraft was looking to find a new dealer in Orlando anyway due to some bad legal issues with the owner of Liquid Sports. Rumor has it that Jeff was originally going to open a new Mastercraft dealership in Orlando before striking a deal with correct craft and opening Nautiques of Orlando.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2008, 6:23 AM Reply   
I think its funny to see the CC faithful turn on the Meloons now. 6 months ago they would have been all over a thread that was bashing them.
I heard Walt Meloon stayed at a Holiday Inn Express and thats why hes a MC dealer now.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-01-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
The Meloon's lost there Nautique dealership so if you loose the #1 boat in the industry, then of course you would go with the #2 boat in the industry.
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-01-2008, 8:37 AM Reply   
Billy,
You think it's funny because like most threads on wakeworld you have no idea what you are talking about and are just trying to start something.

When you bought a Correct Craft they made you feel like family, because that is what Correct Craft was, family. To see the Meloon family sell out and start selling Mastercraft is a betrayal in many of our minds. I personally met Walt at a show in Phoenix. I was going to buy a Sanger because I know the quality of them and the fact that the family still owns the business was very appealing to me, Mike and Kathy Davidson are great people. I knew from my experience from running a family business that I wouldn't have to worry about BS warranty stuff and because it was the family's reputation and livelihood on the line. You just don't hear of any warranty problems with Sanger or CC like you due MC or BU.

At the show Walt asked me why I was going to buy a Sanger and I told him. He personally explained the CC history to me. The dealer in Mesa, AZ where I originally bought the boat is also a family operation. When I lived in Carefree I always knew that I could count on that family and Correct Craft for anything. The family that runs the dealership was awesome to me and my family. One time (at band camp) going to Lake Powell I hit a horse at night, yes a horse, we were on the reservation. I bent both rims and the fender on the right side of my trailer and blew up my windshield. I called the dealership and told them the story the next morning and asked what I should do, I thought I would have to have the boat towed by a wrecker all the way back down to Mesa and that my trip to Powell was ruined. The dealer said that he and his family were going to Powell as well and would bring me a couple of trailer tires on rims. They took the windshield off their personal boat and put it on mine! 8 hours later we were back on the road and had a great week at Powell.

When I had cancer and CC found out through a business journal Walt Meloon personally wrote me a letter and prayed for me and my family.

That's the family spirit and commitment that you used to get with Correct Craft and the Meloons and that is why many of us are a little more than hurt, we fell betrayed

I don't know if that dealership in Mesa, AZ is still open, from what I understand the Phoenix economy is in a world of hurt. What I do know is that the family that ran that dealership was the very best and I wish them all the success in the world!
Old     (lettinit)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-01-2008, 9:03 AM Reply   
It won't make a lick of difference that the Meloon's sell MC. Mastercraft boats still suck!
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-01-2008, 9:27 AM Reply   
That is an awesome story Sam especially about the cancer part. I wish more corporate owners would be that personal... makes you a dedicated for life. I can bet that would never happen with my MC.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-01-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
Billy is right, i was at the same hotel... amazing news.

The meloons are still pretty okay, CC's are awesome....mastercrafts, ehh, they work.

I could change my mind if a certain dealer hooked me up with a certain boat if i came back to Winter Haven
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-01-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
This is confusing to me. Yes Correct Craft was family owned. What about the dealerships that are FAMILY owned? You don't buy boats direct from CC or at least you are not susposed to. Both are good boats. A dealerships reputation has alot to do with your FINAL purchase. Yes CC has been around a very long time. That does NOT make them a BETTER boat.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-01-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Sam your right, but Walt is still the same quality guy. He got pushed/bought out of CC. Did you only like him cuz he sold CC's?
Your story was good and somehow the words "Band Camp" and CC go so well together. The only word that could of joined those two is "short bus" and it would have been perfect.
And Sam I guess the kindness of the CC dealer in your story wore off since you went out and bought yourself a Bu. Talk about loyalty.

Nick I hear ya, good luck with that.

(Message edited by woreout on October 01, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-01-2008, 1:58 PM Reply   
Actually my wife's father gave us the BU. I sold the CC when I moved from Carefree to Pomona and started my business. I have my eyes on a new 210 though. I know Walt from his lecture and mentor series on small business.
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-01-2008, 3:19 PM Reply   
Hey Sam, I have been a CC dealer for 23 years. I have had alot of contact with the Meloon family over the years. The guessing the person you are talking about is Ralph Meloon Sr.....not Walt N. Meloon. Ralph is a very good guy and at 91 still goes into Correct Craft every week. Tim
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       10-01-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
No it was Walt, he was actually speaking and participating in a mentorship program with both Walt O. and Ralph. I get all the names confused, but the Walt I got to know was the kid that was roughly my age, maybe a little older

Anyhow, it's sad to see what is going on. I have since heard that the Meloons have sold all but a very, very small share of their entire ownership in CC and that SECC is only a small part in the entire debacle.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-01-2008, 4:34 PM Reply   
a little off subject but somebody should send me a penny for every time people bash MC on these discussion boards. Shoot id loan Bush the money to bail out the economy
Old     (lettinit)      Join Date: Sep 2008       10-01-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
There is a reason why people bash MC. Its simple, they suck!
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-01-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
Hey opinions are like A holes everyones got em
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-01-2008, 7:09 PM Reply   
No comments about anything but your story about the letter Sam Ingram (wakeboardsam).... That is good stuff. It puts a smile on my face to read. I trust that you are now cancer free, which is also great.

Anyway, that was a good story and I felt a need to comment.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-02-2008, 5:38 AM Reply   
Yes Sam, thanks for sharing. I'll 2nd E.J's comments.

As for boat bashing - it is the absolute lamest part of an otherwise kick a** wakeworld community.
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-02-2008, 5:54 AM Reply   
Bashing is just human nature - an odd form of jealousy.
I see a lot of whining about these Meloons leaving CC - is MC welcoming them with open arms? Is the MC community happy to have them? Do the Meloons carry enough weight to actually make dynamic changes in the MC industry, or will they simply run a dealership in Orlando?
Old     (dreevs)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-02-2008, 12:04 PM Reply   
Is that a cricket?