Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-14-2008, 11:55 AM Reply   
Me and my business minded buddies were just wondering if anyone knew what it takes to say become an authorized dealer of a major board company in order to start selling online? If anyone knows specifics please share.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-14-2008, 12:07 PM Reply   
you need a retail location that is an area that is not already represented and an initial buy in of most likely around 5-10k of product (depending on the area)
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-14-2008, 12:26 PM Reply   
hate to say it, but read this first....

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/614437.html?1218740156

....if they can't make it in this economy against cheaper online competition, I'd think long and hard.....just my humble opinion.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-14-2008, 12:30 PM Reply   
Contact a few board companies and see if they are open to new dealers in your area. You may want to ask about minimum commitments so that you have a idea on the kind of capital you would need to get inventory.

I think the key is location.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-14-2008, 12:32 PM Reply   
... a signed lease for that location, phone lines, utility accounts, cash register, tenant improvements (shelves, counters, carpet, lights) merchant visa/mc accounts, employees to be there 50 +/- hours a week, insurance (required by landlord & by state for the employees), etc., etc.

Probably $50K-75K bare minimum to get in. Then you have to have enough capital for "staying" power covering losses until you break even.

Not to be negative, just real. Business ventures / self employment can feel like swimming up stream (a swift one at that).

That said, figure out a way and go for it. A side shop piggy-backing in someone else's business. Initial sales to a group (of friends) or sponsoring several clubs, etc.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-14-2008, 12:44 PM Reply   
If I am not mistaken you have to put up a lot more cash to just retail online correct?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Most companies wont allow you to sell there product online if you don't have a retail store, doesn't matter how much product you will buy.
Old     (headhunter)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-14-2008, 12:53 PM Reply   
The Online Dealers that already exist have a foothold. Trying to break in at this point would not be beneficial.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-14-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
I agree with HH99. It would be hard to break in to the market at this point. Many of the advertisers listed above are the first stores I look through and I very rarely look at any smaller online stores. These stores have retail storefronts and between a storefront and online business, they are likely going to be ordering more volume than you would be as a startup. This means that they will likely be paying less for products given the volume they are moving, and therefore they will be able to offer a better price than you would be able to initially. We tossed around the idea some time ago and most of the board companies won't sell to you unless you have retail storefront (or at least CWB or Hyperlite wouldn't). In other words, you couldn't get away with just an online storefront. The people that I know that work in and run shops and boat dealerships got into it for the love of the sport, but they are always having to run the shop and are never out enjoying the sport that they love.
Old    sealyon.net            08-14-2008, 1:25 PM Reply   
Stephen wrong on the better price. everyone has to at lease sell for MAP, but your right about being in the shop all the time.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       08-14-2008, 1:30 PM Reply   
Yep so true Stephen, I never get to ride anymore, all I do is WORK and put in a lot of hours, but I love the sport and the lifestyle, so its all worth it to me.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-14-2008, 1:32 PM Reply   
Lyon, close up shop early and go catch a few sets.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-14-2008, 1:41 PM Reply   
Lyon I was going to buy a billabong vest from you guys this weekend but found out you weren't open on sundays.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-14-2008, 1:42 PM Reply   
Looks like opening cable park in the right location would be the most profitable way to break in and progress the sport then eh?
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-14-2008, 1:47 PM Reply   
Innov8, that is the decision I am sure many have to make. Is your passion to push the sport strong enough to make the sacrifice. I work hard too and I am passionate about what I do, so it's worth it to me. Wakeboarding is my release and being out on the boat with the crew is where I get to let go.
Old    sealyon.net            08-14-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
We will be open after church until Labor day, but all we have left in a non-cga vest is a JD Webb vest and one CWB.
Stephen we are going today, you must have been reading my mind.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-14-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
yes a cable park in central or northern cali would blow up! Assuming you did it right! Two Lake a Right and a Left with tons of sick obstacles built by pat panakos!
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-14-2008, 2:16 PM Reply   
and then you can open your pro shop on site
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       08-14-2008, 2:22 PM Reply   
oh but you probably need at least 10 million for that. just a guess
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       08-14-2008, 6:48 PM Reply   
Yea just got numbers sent from blake hess and you need about 1.5 mill not including land to build a fully function cable park
Old    sealyon.net            08-15-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Evan, I was wrong we, do have a Billabong vest left in a large.Stop by if your up and see us if your here