Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2010, 7:00 AM Reply   
It always happens this time of year and I am sick and tired of it. I contacted the dealer two years ago and he said it is a common problem and to just let it sit and when it cools down it will start. I also contacted Indmar and they said the problem was with the quality of gas now and it is worse in the spring and fall because of winter blend gas. I have read online about a dealer installed second low pressure fuel pump as the end all solution. I just got off the phone with my local dealer and he said the fuel pump kit is $285.54 and after installation it is $434.04. How hard is this to install? Anyone ever installed this themselves?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-06-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
SKIDIM.com had a fix for my 205. It was basically a fuel line insulation kit. Cost was like $13. Might work on a Supra too..... definitely worth a phone call to find out what they think.
Old     (tailgate)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
The insulation might be the trick, Ive heard or read that pouring cool water on the fuel filter will also fix the problem if I remember correctly... at least so it could get started again.
Old     (dru1974)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-06-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
I know that new supra and moomba boats come with a fuel pump in the fuel tank. Maybe you can put one in your tank, I know they did this to resolve the vapour locking issue's. good luck
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
We have been using the cup and water technique, but it is still aggravating. When I turn the key, I am ready to go! Last night was the last straw. I will call skidim and see if they recommend a cheaper solution. I have enough handy man skills to be dangerous and was wondering how hard of an install this pump kit that Supra offers is. My dealer did say that Supra has resolved the problem in new models by putting the fuel pump in the gas tank instead of on the motor.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-06-2010, 4:11 PM Reply   
So being as the issue is related to how hot the fuel gets in the line, I wonder if a fuel cool can would work? They've been used in racecars for years for the same scenario with success. I would think the only issue would be space.
Attached Images

Old     (jimmy_z)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-06-2010, 5:11 PM Reply   
Cheapest way to combat it would be to leave the engine cover open a little bit. Of course your going to get more noise and have to find a way so that the engine cover doesnt fly completely open when underway.
Old     (Rich)      Join Date: May 2010       05-06-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese View Post
It always happens this time of year and I am sick and tired of it. I contacted the dealer two years ago and he said it is a common problem and to just let it sit and when it cools down it will start. I also contacted Indmar and they said the problem was with the quality of gas now and it is worse in the spring and fall because of winter blend gas. I have read online about a dealer installed second low pressure fuel pump as the end all solution. I just got off the phone with my local dealer and he said the fuel pump kit is $285.54 and after installation it is $434.04. How hard is this to install? Anyone ever installed this themselves?
I had the same problem. Fortunately mine was under warranty. Dealer installed a secondary full pump. I've not had the problem since.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-06-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
Thanks for your help. I have decided to install the second pump from skidim. (http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=49-5137) They sell the kit a little cheaper than my dealer. I think it shouldn't be to hard of a DIY project.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-06-2010, 6:37 PM Reply   
If it's a known problem why doesn't the manufacturer make it right? Would we expect that of an auto manufacturer? Not sure if I have all of the story, but it doesn't sound right.
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-06-2010, 11:14 PM Reply   
Dealer added secondary fuel pump to fix the same problem on my '07 Moomba OBV. I had to throw a little bit of a tantrum at the service counter and on the phone, and it took a few days, but they finally agreed to do it without charging me.

I finally had to tell them that if they wouldn't fix it, I was going that day to trade it on a SAN 210, and they caved. (I was serious).

Mine left me stranded 3 times last summer because of this problem.

Keep hounding the dealer. This is not a problem you should have to pay to fix IMO.

Good luck.

Aaron
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-07-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
I wish I could go into the dealer and raise hell, but I purchased the boat used 2 years ago. If I bought it new from my dealer and they gave me the run around, I would threaten to pull my business the same as Aaron. All the dealers as well as Indmar I have spoken with have been very helpful and informative, but they all have different reasons for the increasing vapor locking problem. I have heard everything from lake temperature to winter blend gas. Because our lake is heated by a power plant, it is hotter than most. Lake temperature was hard to swallow, but you never know.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
As I understood it, the problem is caused from the fuel system being heated by the engine heat & outside temp. Maintaining an increased fuel pressure &/or keeping the fuel system cooler were the two ways I heard you can defeat the problem.
Old     (big_boss)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-07-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese View Post
I wish I could go into the dealer and raise hell, but I purchased the boat used 2 years ago. If I bought it new from my dealer and they gave me the run around, I would threaten to pull my business the same as Aaron. All the dealers as well as Indmar I have spoken with have been very helpful and informative, but they all have different reasons for the increasing vapor locking problem. I have heard everything from lake temperature to winter blend gas. Because our lake is heated by a power plant, it is hotter than most. Lake temperature was hard to swallow, but you never know.
My bad, I wrongly assumed you bought the boat from them. That not being the case, the effectiveness of a hissy-fit is diminished.

I doubt lake temp would affect it much, if at all. The problem on mine was after engine was hot, and then turned it off for an extended period of time (1+hour), the gas in the fuel pump would vaporize from heat off the engine. The injectors require 60psi to open, and the pump can't put out 60psi when pumping vapor instead of liquid fuel. This only happened on very hot days in midsummer, but I imagine different blends of gas can affect this problem as well. I have read that higher ethanol content will make this more likely to happen.

Dealer installed an in-line fuel pump to force cool gas into the main pump, which when supplied with liquid gas, can now make 60psi and force the injectors open. It was a much lower pressure pump, just enough to force cool gas down the line into the main pump.

One time we tied up to have lunch, and upon returning to the boat it wouldn't run. It would start, choke and sputter for 20-30 seconds, then die. I messed with it for over 2 hours in front of the happy hour crowd at Hula Hut on Lake Austin. I spent most of that time on the phone with a mechanic friend of mine trying to diagnose the problem. Wound up asking another boater leaving the restaurant for a tow, as I tie off and he begins to pull me away, I turned the key, and of course IT STARTED RIGHT UP! Eff me. Pretty embarrasing.

Happened a few days later, after I figured out it was vapor lock. I poured some lake water over the pump, and lo and behold it started right up. That is one way to combat it, but who wants to have to raise the engine cover and pour water in there every time?

Another option I have read about is using the fuel pressure bleed valve to let the vapor out, but I never tried that. Hot gas spraying about my engine compartment was not something I wanted to experiment with.

I can take pictures of what the dealer did to mine next time I am out. Seems like adding the in-line pump shouldn't be too complicated.

Good luck

Aaron
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-07-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_boss View Post
Another option I have read about is using the fuel pressure bleed valve to let the vapor out, but I never tried that. Hot gas spraying about my engine compartment was not something I wanted to experiment with.
I used this method on the 205, just covered the valve with a wet rag, then rinsed the rag off in the lake. It worked every time. It's not like buckets of gas come out, it's a very short spray & done.

Same situation on my 205, very hot days, usually after booze cruisin around the lake at idle speed, shut the boat off, 10 minutes later & it won't start. Open the engine cover & let things cool off & it would start like there was never a problem. I was told the engine's heat soak would raise the temp way above any running temp. Combined with the air temps, it would do like Aaron described.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-07-2010, 5:36 PM Reply   
In 2008 they added a second fuel pump to all models to alleviate this problem from happening. And it works, have had my boat in 113 degree weather and never once did it ever vapor lock. The SkiDim pump setup should get you going. However, I would contact indmar and heckle them they might just give you the second fuel pump.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       05-07-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
Know probelm and based on this thread I believe it should be covered...jujst my opinion.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-01-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
Robert did the supplemental pump fix the problem? How hard to install for a DIY hack?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-01-2010, 3:55 PM Reply   
Stop over to Supraboats.com/bbs this is a common problem as Travis said. Extra fuel pump seems to be the solution. Sorry to hear about the problems.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-03-2010, 8:32 AM Reply   
cocheese, did you ever get the other pump installed? If you did, how did it work out for you? I was at Belews yesterday and mine vapor locked again. It's going to be a long summer.
Old     (widnejr)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-03-2010, 9:25 AM Reply   
Here is a picture of my low pressure fuel pump on my 2002 SSV
Attached Images

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2010, 11:30 AM Reply   
Dudeman - Yes, installed it and so far so good. The only draw back is the noise of the second fuel pump which is easily drowned out by the motor and radio. I didn't install it in the motor box like the above pic. I was told by the mechanic at Grandpas and Indmar to install it just before the fuel filter as close to the tank as possible. It is as simple as drilling holes in the stringer, mounting it and cutting the fuel line. We have tried to make it vapor lock by leaving it sitting after riding with no blower and closed motor box and it fires up everytime. If you want shoot me an email and we will hook up and I will show you how I mounted it. So far it is the best money I have spent on the boat. No more worries! It always sucked knowing you were stranded and not knowing if or when your boat was going to start again!
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-03-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Next time I see you out, I'll tool on over and have a look if you don't mind. Thanks.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2010, 11:40 AM Reply   
Works for me. I also forgot to mention that the kit form skidim is drop shipped from Indmar and includes the wiring harness. The wiring was the only thing that worried me before I purchased it. When I opened the box and saw the wiring harness, it was a piece of cake. You just unplug the wire going to your old fuel pump and plug it into the wiring harness. No splicing or cutting wires. All plug and play! Napa sells a vapor lock kit that is comparable and cheaper, but Indmar's kit comes with wiring harness and upgraded fittings to fit the larger fuel hose.

Last edited by cocheese; 06-03-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-03-2010, 11:42 AM Reply   
Sounds pretty sweet. I'll have to get on skidim on find the pump. Thanks.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-03-2010, 11:44 AM Reply   
Here is the link:
http://skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=49-5137
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-03-2010, 11:55 AM Reply   
Nice. That's my next purchase.