Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-10-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
Re-doing my stereo, convinced myself to get a head unit - was going to just use the iPhone. But, I think it may be better to have head unit control rather than turning on the display every time I want to change songs, playlists, etc.

Am looking at the Alpine CDE-102, which is pretty bare bones. But it has the ability to turn off the internal amp, which is cool. Am going straight into WS-420 then 3 amps so no need for amplified signal. Pretty straightforward controls - don't need any bluetooth or HD anyway, just the ability to control iPhone 3G-S and occasionally a CD if someone brings one along...

This model is a "car" stereo unit - I'm wondering if there might be any visibility issues on the boat (occasionally in direct sunlight). Anyone have experience with a car deck in their boat - is visibility a problem? Marine HU's seem to be priced considerably higher. If you know of a good one please reply and let me know. I think Sony makes a pretty good one too - I'll check into that too.

Thanks!
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-10-2010, 7:51 PM Reply   
The 9886 is the first one on the lineup that you can see in the sunlight. Has much better controls for ipod/iphone as well.
Old     (mrbigwake)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-10-2010, 9:53 PM Reply   
I'am a huge alpine fan don't get me wrong. but i have the cda-105 in my Tahoe, and i cant see it half the time with the Sun Roof open. Let alone that I'am completely disappointed with the eq setup and the quality of the preouts.Those 9886's and the others with that display are sweet though I'am sure they would work perfect. Hope it helps!
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-11-2010, 6:04 AM Reply   
If your not dead set on a Alpine I would check out the Sony's. I have the CDX-M60, it's a marine unit, you can see it in the sun, it has 3 sets of pre-outs, and it has built in iPod controls that actually work... You can find them on Ebay for around $150.
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-11-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Thanks Aaron. you sold me. I just ordered the Sony. Thanks for this inputs guys.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-11-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Sorry for the highJack, but-
I too am adding a stereo to my boat, and can't decide on a new headunit. we only use Ipods for music, maybe the occasional CD. What i'm looking for is a headunit the has a remote that will operate the ipod controlls. I have seen the 9886 headunit, although it's nice, it's a pain in the ass to scroll through artists / song title menus. I also would rather be driving the boat and let someone else( wife) play with the radio. what would be a good solution? thanks,
Old     (camassanger)      Join Date: Oct 2009       02-11-2010, 12:41 PM Reply   
Marc, with that Sony aaron mentions, there is a mode where the iPhone/iPod can control the radio (passenger control mode). Check it out. I also like the ability to add a transom mount control unit for ~$75.

I think the USB cord is 4' long on the back of the radio (found that on the web somewhere) - so having your wife control music from passenger seat should be a breeze.
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       02-11-2010, 3:02 PM Reply   
FYI- CDA-9886 is gone and the replacement is a CDA-117:

Upload

Supports 5volt charging for new ipods, Itunes tagging from FM stations with RDS, slight cosmetic changes.

Something new from Alpine:
http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/cda-118m/
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-11-2010, 3:13 PM Reply   
I have the Kenwood KDC-345U. I bought the Alpine 102 but traded it back for the Kenwood because you can only control your Ipod from the unit on the Alpine. The Kenwood you can also have independent Ipod control, which I think is much easier. Especially on the boat when everyone wants to hear this song or that song, you can just hand them the Ipod.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-11-2010, 4:02 PM Reply   
Seth makes a great point... that the others onboard can mess with the ipod. That's why I'm strongly considering going with a bluetooth deck. I have an iphone, as do most of my crew/friends. Seems super easy to just pair a phone with the deck and let the passengers do the music.

I was down on the bluetooth interface for sound quality reasons, but having installed a pioneer bt deck in my truck, I'm really impressed. Driving around while pandora is streaming has never been easier.
Old     (calipackfan)      Join Date: Jul 2008       02-12-2010, 7:10 AM Reply   
I have a couple Ipod touches, not the phone. I wonder if they would sync bluetooth to a Kenwood head unit? that would be perfect. Anyone know if an ipod touch would function via bluetooth? If so which head unit is the way to go? thanks again guys, this site always has the good info...
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-12-2010, 7:34 AM Reply   
yeah, I didn't think the touch had bt, but apparently it does if you have the 3.0 firmware to unlock it.

I'm sure any kenwood BT deck would work.

Sony makes the MEX-BT3700, which I mention because it's probably available at your local walmart. Also has a front-panel usb slot so you could run a thumb drive through it.
Old     (el1070)      Join Date: May 2007       02-22-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
In the past I have heard Alpine was king when it came to sound quality, but I have also herd that there latest decks are lacking in sound quality. If anyone have experience with a few different decks, what brand/model would you recommend to get improved sound quality to the amps.
Old    ausbill32            02-22-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
I just purchased the Alpine CDA-9886M from crutchfield after hours upon hours of searching all the Marine head units. If you are going non-marine then you're on your own but I found the Alpine CDA-9886M to be the best buy. It has three 4v amp outputs, it can work with the wireless RF remote (M1RF), full iPod control, and can integrate with alpine's transom remote. You can buy Scoshe adapter which allow you to charge new iPhone 3Gs or newer iPods with any head unit. I'm going to install the Alpine this weekend so I'll let you know how it sounds! The Kenwood KMR-700U was my second option but I didn't want to cut a 3 inch hole for the optional transom remote. As I mentioned, I bought the optional water proof Alpine RF wireless remote and I'll see how it goes this summer rather than cutting a big hole in the boat for the optional Alpine transom MC10. I'll just clip the remote on to a lanyard and then too the rear boat rail when chilling. My option was the Sony CDX-M60UI. I opted for the alpine after searching several forums.

Alpine CDA-9886M
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_17574_Alpine+CDA-9886M.html

Alpine RUE-M1RF
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9010_Alpine+RUE-M1RF.html

Scoshe passPort
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_16295_Scosche+passPORT+-+Charging+Adapter+for+iPod+touch+2G%2C+iPod+nano+4 G%2C+iPhone+3G.html

Alpine MC10
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18467_Alpine+MC10.html

(Message edited by ausbill32 on February 22, 2010)

(Message edited by ausbill32 on February 22, 2010)