Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2009, 9:20 AM Reply   
So, being as I was just laid off after 8 years at a computer memory manufacturer I plan on enjoying the summer before making any new solid career choices.

I'm headed up to Kansas City in a couple weeks and dragging my boat up there and curious as to which lakes are wakeboard friendly ? I'm going to be staying in the Overland Park area and I've heard of Clinton and Longview Lake but thought I would ask for some reco's from you local pros?

And lastly, I guess I could scout out any job opp's up there as well, but my priorities right now are getting some good riding time in :-)

Any insight appreciated!
Thanks
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2009, 10:54 AM Reply   
Blue Springs - Swank in the mornings, crap in the early evenings, glass at sundown. Unridable on weekends, unless you have a death-warrant.
Longview - Depends on the wind. No tree cover, gets nasty quick. Sick when there is no wind. Busy on weekends.
Prairie Lee - Sweet most every day. Only public lake with houses on it, so sometimes people are dickish about stupid stuff (like driving the "wrong direction" around the lake. Just watch the dogleg near the boatramp, sometimes people cruise too fast around it).
Clinton - Big and wind blown. Can be nice, but phantom rollers everywhere if there are any boats.
Jacomo - If you have a 15hp fishing boat, you can...fish.

Good luck. Shoot me an email if you need a third!

(Message edited by garret_s on July 01, 2009)
Old     (roverjohn)      Join Date: Dec 2007       07-01-2009, 11:56 AM Reply   
Garret forgot
Smithville- Just like Blue Springs but rarely glass at sundown.
Old     (southshorerider)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-01-2009, 12:31 PM Reply   
I ride clinton everyday during the week days. you usually can find smooth water anywhere as long as the wind is not from the west and/or tons of boats. Usually the boats are only bad on saturday/sunday.
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-01-2009, 1:29 PM Reply   
if you know computers...

www.cerner.com/careers

make sure to hit the cable while you're here :-)
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
Agree with above list...

They did forget Hillsdale Lake - its south of Overland Park / Olathe -- about 20 minute drive. Pretty much like every lake in KS, no shelter from wind. You can have fun during the week near dark but that's about it.

What type of computer work do you do - I have a small team in OP (sw developers) but know all kinds of people in the area looking for talent.
Old     (inty399)      Join Date: May 2007       07-01-2009, 4:44 PM Reply   
Hit the cable for sure. def agree with garrets list. hit me up if you want to get some mornin sets at blue springs
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
ty-you riding tomorrow? i might be on lotowana...
Old     (mofreestyle)      Join Date: Jan 2006       07-02-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Scotty-What are the dates that you'll be in town?

And fyi longview, blue springs, clinton and I'm guessing the rest of the lakes around will have a daily pass u with have to buy but there not to expensive.

(Message edited by mofreestyle on July 02, 2009)
Old     (stillentt)      Join Date: May 2007       07-02-2009, 9:43 PM Reply   
Thx for the replies fellas. I'm gonna be in KC on July 16 thru the wknd.
I've got a buddy that has software dev firm up there and I'm going to be interviewing to work as a client relations manager.