Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-03-2007, 9:32 AM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=1366

is anyone else as excited as I am about the return of the Malibu Vette?? I remember the first one back in 1996 or so. Mid State Marine in Paso Robles had one out at Naci. looked bada$$. hope I get to take this one out for a spin.
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-03-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
Hmmm, 500+ HP? Only v-drive, or DD as well? Very interesting.

Want to spend $27K on a 10 year old closed bow ski boat, here's a 97 buvette:
http://pnb.yachtworld.com/boats/1608359/0
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-03-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Kinda unique but I would not spend the coin for it. Would be sweet though to have one parked next to its big brother with 4 wheels. I do have the corvette motor in my boat and I cant say enough good things about it!
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-03-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
I dunno, at first it sounds hard to justify $, but consider... a 500hp inboard watersports-specific boat that has a full warranty on boat and motor. Never been done before, right? At least not by a recognized and well regarded ski/wake boat company. It would be pretty unique. Look at the coin people are dropping on new wakeboats these days! Maybe the time is right.
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-03-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
didn't Correct Craft have a 500hp engine a few years back?
Old     (lukewtwt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-03-2007, 2:56 PM Reply   
Nevermind, I found it. It was the "python" engine that was a 502 cu in. with 400hp and 500 ft/lbs. of torque.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2007, 3:25 PM Reply   
I had a Python for a while... the first version had 430hp and it was Bad A$$!
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-03-2007, 4:06 PM Reply   
The CORVETTE Boat failed in 96/97. It will fail again. Dealers where stuck with the boats and had to offer HUGE discounts to customers to move the boats. BU had to back it up with REBATES to the dealerships. Cool IDEA WRONG boat company!

The only COOL thing about the boats was the MOTOR
383 Calaway Bored and stroked 350 Not like the Mercrusier POS!
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-03-2007, 4:58 PM Reply   
Mercruiser POS? I shalt beg to differ...
Old     (norcalmalibu)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-03-2007, 6:45 PM Reply   
It gets tiring hearing the negativity of Mercruiser on this board, go look under the hood of any fast boat and see what you find, your choice fountain, DCB, Skater, Donzi all mercruiser powered.

On the corvette boat, i thinks its very cool but I would never personally buy one to cheese ball for me.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-03-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
I agree. This thing is kinda weird. The MasterCraft
25 year Stars and Stripes boat was a specialty boat like this and is very cool and I think did very well

The Master Craft PWT X-star, another specialty or Special edition boat did well. It generated alot of intrest, Do you think Bu's Vette eddition could or would generate as much intrest.

IMO I dont think so. Who is Malibu trying to attract? Corvette owners? Yes I could see them being into this boat. My advice is take the best things of the corvette ZO6 (The motor) and the performance and slide it into or offer it as a option in a special eddition boat. Please dont add the rear section of a Corvette to a Wakeboard boat. It looks like A$$. I could see someone dropping the extra money for the 7 L motor if it did somthing special Like jup out of the water full of people and ballast. But if its gonna devour gas and only perform a bit better than the standard motor then why bother.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-03-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11788
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-03-2007, 7:41 PM Reply   
$90k!!!
Old     (ponte_06_x2)      Join Date: Jan 2006       10-03-2007, 7:46 PM Reply   
hey if malibu wants to soop up a vette boat. they should call robert mitchell for some advice.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-03-2007, 7:55 PM Reply   
I wonder what the deal between GM and malibu actually is. GM must be fronting some money for the development costs on this. Both companies will make out on the marketing end. Maybe GM just put a great deal on the table for Malibu to produce and market this boat. My guess is huge profits on this particular model are probably not the main motivation for doing the project. Just a guess though...
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-04-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
The wakeboarding industry like anything else is just becoming a huge money racket. So much for quality because it's all about the coin!
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-04-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
X-Star loaded, what, over $70K
PWT X-Star, $80-90K ???
40th Anniv Xstar???

With the disclaimer that I'm not in it, I think there is a market for this boat, albeit very small. Wakeboats are being built and sold every day with a lot of bling and tunes that no one "needs" to have. It's about "wants", about bragging rights, about getting the attention on the lake and at the ramp.

I'm probably just excited about the excess HP, and a hull designed to handle it. Gas? Does anyone really care? Especially someone spending close to $100K on a boat?
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-04-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
I am all about manufacturers pricing their new boats at a premium. The higher the new boat pricing goes, the better the resale on mine
Old     (coldlake)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-04-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
T-Bag's got it! I'm on the same page.

Only problem is that when we go to replace with new or newer used, we gotta pay UP !!!!

I wonder how many more years of big $ increases we will see. It probably continues until the economy gets in trouble.
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-04-2007, 11:04 PM Reply   
a and T, I see what both of you are saying, but even in an economic down turn "generally" the people that are willing to pay 100k for a wakeboat are not going to be the ones hurting. Also believe me your not going to see a year with less than 2.5-5% price increase across the board, even when things go (boobs) up. Sadly it's just the way things work in the luxury goods market these days.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-05-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
If you read the thread on malibucrew it does not sound like it is really going to be a wakeboat.

They said they were using a modified diamond hull that will have a lower profile.

They also said on there that it is the 3rd generation corvette boat. I only know of the ones from the 90s like posted above. When was the other malivette made?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-05-2007, 7:49 AM Reply   
These were on page 3 of that thread. I noticed them after my last post. Definetly not a wakeboard boat. It looks like a closed bow disaster to me. Even has the stupid looking vette back end.

(IMG:http://vec.mine.nu/albums/album122/MalibuCorvetteBoat_Render1.sized.jpg)

(IMG:http://vec.mine.nu/albums/album122/MalibuCorvetteBoat_Render2.sized.jpg)
Old     (xaggie)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-05-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
Good lord... I want to meet the twisted minds it took to come up with that disaster. Then again I won't seriously knock it till I see it in person.
Old     (xsmini)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-05-2007, 11:26 AM Reply   
Should make for a damn fine footin' boat.

It's target is going to be a corvette collector with a ton of money. They are going to be a status symbol kind of boat.

500+ HP, Specific Hull, V-Drive. This boat is going to be friggin fast
Old     (rbeckei)      Join Date: May 2007       10-05-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
Does anyone have pictures of the previous boat?
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-05-2007, 11:36 AM Reply   
Hmmm, might make a Malibu owner out of me yet. How could I not get this to go with my other... :-)

http://webpages.charter.net/insanity199/Z06/images/Z06%20009.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/insanity199/Z06/images/Z06%20011.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/insanity199/Z06/images/Z06%20013.jpg

(Message edited by Schmo on October 05, 2007)
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       10-05-2007, 11:43 AM Reply   
One thing I think I like about the boat is it looks like the side windows roll down. I never have been much of a fan of the wraparound windows and this would give you the option to have it or not.

I also think the corvette scoop thing on the side looks pretty cool. Not much function but a cool look.
Old     (madvlin)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-05-2007, 4:25 PM Reply   
I dont know... sound cool looks bad
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-05-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
thats the worst looking boat i have ever seen, it will be a flop for sure
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-05-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
If that 3D CAD model is what they plan on building I feel sorry for whoever is fronting the cash for the design and for the very few who buy the ones for the BIG MONEY... Its gonna take huge discounts to move out the ones that remain in dealerships for months. I am not opposed to the idea but to me it would sell better if they were simply doing a limited production model of a current wake boat but with performance engine/goodies and special trim. That would seem to make more sense
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-06-2007, 2:24 AM Reply   
I don't know how any of you guys can even realistically get a good idea of what that boats gonna look like when completed... especially from a CAD model!!!! If you can and you're that good with computers maybe you can put one together for me with an Illusion X and a BADAZZ color scheme to go with it, then maybe the rest of us can see what it's gonna look like!!! Otherwise why not just dog it when you finally see it, without assuming it wont look good. Roll down windows could be pretty sick.
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
its going to look sweet.