Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    drstealth            01-14-2005, 11:23 AM Reply   
Hi all....
I'm moving to San Diego from the San Francisco bay area, no more delta :-( and was curious as to what the the SD sceen was like and where to go? I DONT :-(
own a boat....

Thanks all!
drstealth5150@yahoo.com
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2005, 11:27 AM Reply   
lots of cool people in sd that will give you a pull. problem is, you gotta learn to ride in not-so-pristine conditions. (unless someone takes you to the secret spot)

(Message edited by dakid on January 14, 2005)
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-14-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
San Diego is great. Best weather in the country, good waves, descent lakes and as Joe said, lots of cool people. You will not have a problem finding people to ride with. Plenty of people, including myself, always looking for a third.
The night life is great also. Downtown has a lot of good clubs and bars. Where abouts are you moving to? Coastal, North County, East County, South Bay?
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-14-2005, 11:34 AM Reply   
Secret spot???
Old    jclorfeine            01-14-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
Decent lakes? Is that a joke?
We have one lake, and it's useable two days a week. I guess at least it's not frozen over.
Old    drstealth            01-14-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
Hey guys,

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it! Local? My office is not far from Miramar. Some friends have told me about "mission valley" and "point loma" and "pacific beach" as decent places to live. I been in SD 2x, for a total of 16hrs. I got flown down on Wed. and they made me an offer on thrs. I countered and they called this morning and gave me everthing I asked for. So I drive down on Mon. In other words, I don't no sh*t about the place.

Hey Jared, you sound pissed? R U serious? only 1 lake and its blown out most of the time? What about reserviors (sp?) where do you go?

Again, tanks for the info!!!
Old     (whitewookie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-14-2005, 1:21 PM Reply   
Congratulations. Do you have a family? If so I would recommend North County Coastal (Del Mar, Carmel Valley, Encinitas, Carlsbad) or Inland (Rancho Bernardo, Cramel Mountain Ranch, Penasquitos, Poway). If you are single, or no kids then Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach are a good bet. Jared, I assume, is talking about San Vicente. You can also drive up the 15 about 30-40 miles and you have Elsinore, Perris and Canyon Lake.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-14-2005, 1:48 PM Reply   
Hey dont forget about the Bay also. mission or pb.
Glass in the mornings and evenings. And also
dont forget about the great events put on by Wakesports Unlimited in the summers. As long as you dont mind salt water.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
Kevin there is no secret spot.

Joe SHHHHHH!!!!!
Old    drstealth            01-14-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
Water is water and glass is glass, I cud care less :-)

Just rinse it off when your done and no harm to the binding right? (salt water that is). Thanks Kevin and Brad! And I'm recently divorced w/ no kids, so I'm gud to go! Anyone know what a 1 or 2 bedroom apt. goes for in PB or surrounding area? Or know anyone who's got a rental for lease? Thanks again!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-14-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
Hmmmmm.. I all of a sudden, feel very left out..LOL
{putting on his angry face}Grrrrrr..

Ha Ha

(Message edited by big x-star on January 14, 2005)
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-14-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Salt water is a little more buoyant, but I doubt you'll notice the difference, 'cept it smells more! There's a good place to ride in Mission Bay. Get ahold of Tyler at WAKESPORTS UNLIMITED. He'll be more than happy to fill you in on local spots.

Also check out the INT amateur contests:
http://www.intleague.com
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2005, 2:12 PM Reply   
erik, i won't let the cat outta the bag. just invite me out, foolio!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-14-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   

quote:

I doubt you'll notice the difference

someone that goes big will notice the difference...when he/she lands. OUCH!
Old    drstealth            01-14-2005, 2:25 PM Reply   
Hey, come on now.....you don't keep secrets from Brothers in Arms (or boards, that is).
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-14-2005, 3:57 PM Reply   
Joe, we gotta talk. If you know of a sectret spot, hook me up. I have been here all my life, and don't know of one. Know every inch of MB, and just about live at San V. You want pulls, right??

Dr Stealth,

Welcome to SD. You will find great folks here. Hit me up and I will show you some fun parts of town. Trying to pick up my 05 VLX in the next few days, and will FINALLY try to hook up with more fellow WakeWorlders. Plenty here to give you a pull.

Have a blast. Don't get down about the selection of riding spots. I live next to San V, and have spent MANY days there, and in Mission Bay. MOST of the time, especially early and late in the day, you can find good water. Right now San V is only Thurs and Fri, but in the summer they add Sat and Sun. Still better in the off season, and Thu and Fri if you can. I have been there many times when there are only a couple boats on the lake, and nice water. Oh yea, NO lake lice either. Just in Mission Bay.
Old    drstealth            01-14-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
Buzz,
Lake lice!!!??? What the..... My friend got his 05 VLX 2 mos. ago and I was truely bummed I wouldn't get to ride on it. But S.Diegans already seem cool and maybe I'll get to board behind one after all!!!! \clipart{happy}

The Dr.
Old    drstealth            01-14-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
And Joe.....damn you are one fine chick, WOW! Okay tell me about the "kitchen".....:-)
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2005, 5:39 PM Reply   
Here are the directions to the secret spot.

Hwy 15 north past Temecula
Exit HWY 74/ Riverside Drivve
Go west abput 5 miles and the water is on your left.
Good Luck
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
Oh yea the secret spot is closed until Jan 21st.
That should give you a hint
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-14-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
Doesn't the green water bug anyone else? I cant stand the algie{SP} @ the "secret spot".
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-14-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Algae eats Bacteria. That is Good , Color is Bad!!
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-15-2005, 5:03 AM Reply   
Lake lice: (aka: water magots) PWC's

Half joking about the name, all in good fun. I do like them. They are a blast. But trying to wakeboard when they are around is flat out dangerous. I have had them come w/i 10 feet from me when I was down in the water, and also had one run over my tow line. All in beautiful Mission Bay. That's why I like San V.

Old     (thespleen)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-17-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
Just thought the "decent lakeS" comment was strange. I ride in Mission Bay; during the winter it's great, summer weekends are pretty worthless, but that's only about three months out of the year...
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-18-2005, 12:45 PM Reply   
Dr.,

Welcome to S.D.!

I'm a Native and not going anywhere! A few tips for you:

1) Don't tell anyone else how great it is down here we don't need anymore people.

2) Unlike the real weather up North your acustomed to, all you need to know down here is one word: sunscreen. The easiest job in town is the weatherman who only has to look at yesterday to predict today.

3) Gas prices are the worst in the nation. Don't ask why, nobody has the right answer. Join the closest Costco and get it 5 to 10 cents cheaper a gallon than just about anywhere else.

4) The real estate market is crazy (not that different from up north). Looks like your renting which may be the best option until you decide where and if you want to buy. Be ready for big sticker shock.

5) Those on this thread have identified the riding locals:

a) San Vicente located near Lakeside (to get to Lakeside go east till you smell it, north till you step in it and your there. Just Kidding). Check out the link below for more information and the schedule there. Best place to ride in SD hands down.

http://www.sandiego.gov/water/recreation/vicente.shtml

b) Mission Bay is very close to PB and the beach scene, has free access, open all the time, good water in the early morning/late afternoon and occassionally has enough pollution to make you sick. Watch for sewage spills and avoid the bay right after recent rains.

c) San Diego bay rarely ridden but in the southern end has some good empty spots for riding.

d) El Capitan res. (also in East County) currently is closed to water contact due to low water levels. Even if the water level does rise it's not a desireable spot.

e)North County Coastal has the Carlsbad Lagoon that a few folks on this board ride there. Looks good from the freeway but I've never ridden it myself.

f) Outside the county you have Perris and Elsinore up North. The Colorado river near Yuma out East and the secret spot which I don't even know about

I like Buzz above am impatiently waiting for a new boat. I will be looking for riders on occassion starting early Feb when the new boat arrives.

Again, welcome and I hope you enjoy America's Finest!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-18-2005, 1:59 PM Reply   
TSO,

Damn,

Nice rundown!!!

I like the Lakeside Bit. and ohh so true.

I might even have to have you out to the secret spot.
Can you ride weekdays? I see your an executive and so am I but I set my own Schedule and can often go out during the week.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
Erik,

Read your posting and I'm now frothing at the mouth! I can "adjust" the work schedule as necessary to find time to ride during the week. I'd love to check out the secrect spot and am up for an secrecy ritual required!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2005, 12:08 PM Reply   
Hey tyler the secret spot is nice glass ,if you dont mind green slimey water
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-19-2005, 12:17 PM Reply   
kevin, sorry bro...you have no idea where the secret spot is!
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2005, 12:27 PM Reply   
..I am so confused.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-19-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
Joe , TSO,

Im up for next week at the Secret Spot. What days would be good for you guys? And yes, Joe you can bring your Girl.
Old    dana25miller            01-19-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
Dr. if yuo are looking for a place to live check out craigslist.com and click on San Diego and you should be able to find something.
Old     (purana182)      Join Date: Jun 2003       01-19-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
Kevin... youdon't know the secret spot, its the best water to ride in SD, i thought you were in on that... shoot, sorry man that sucks.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2005, 4:16 PM Reply   
KEVIN <--------stomping his feet

this sucks!!!!

Thats it --- I quit!!!!
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-19-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
Geoff,

The spot is not in San Diego
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-19-2005, 5:03 PM Reply   
E Double U-

How about Tues or Thursday afternoon or Wednesday morning session?
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-19-2005, 5:25 PM Reply   
Any of those works for me.
Let me check the weather for next week and I will e-mail you this weekend for a date and time.
Erik
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-19-2005, 9:17 PM Reply   
edouble, i'm not sure if i can go yet. i won't know until a couple days before. if the offer still stands, i'll let you know.

thanks man!
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       01-20-2005, 6:09 AM Reply   
Sounds great. Talk to you soon E Double U
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-20-2005, 6:55 AM Reply   
It would be awesome to see where everyone thinks the secret spot is. I read these posts and just keep laughing. Of course if everyone keeps talking about the secret spot, it won't really be a secret spot anymore.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-20-2005, 9:45 AM Reply   
the secret spot is wherever you can ride in socal and not get pissed about water conditions.

so the secret spot doesn't really exist. Every spot has it's moments.

Secret spots are a dime a dozen in socal. right?

how is Boston treatin you Sean?
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-20-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
It's cold. It was 80-something in San Diego last weekend, and it was -10-something in Boston with windchill. You guys suck. I just need Tyler to send me my board, and for the weather to get about 60* warmer and I'll be riding. Or I could just fly down to Florida. Oh well. Actually, I've been to New York a few times over the last few weeks, and that place rocks. Last weekend, I met up with AJ in NYC for one of his friend's parties and we had a blast. Let's just say we represented California very well there.

Good call Glen, the secret spot doesn't exist! It is all a figment of people's imagination.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-20-2005, 11:10 AM Reply   
Secret spot sounds like it might rhyme with sail. Either that or mission bay.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       01-21-2005, 12:02 PM Reply   
What rhymes with mission bay?
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       01-21-2005, 12:58 PM Reply   
Poop?
Old    aquadocs            01-27-2005, 7:07 PM Reply   
the secret spot RULES. I happen to own IT.
Old     (wakerwanker)      Join Date: Jan 2005       01-29-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
I guess I must have guessed correctly about the "secret spot", my message was removed from this thread.
Old     (da_moose)      Join Date: Feb 2004       02-01-2005, 2:08 PM Reply   
I know where "Secrect Spot- Cat Island "is